Old White's XLT or buy new?

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked about buying a detector a while back after I joined TN. I was wanting to get back into detecting. And was given a few suggestion within what I wanted to spend. Well from that time to now, I put off buying a new detector and bought a new Z71 Silverado instead. And then my ex father-in-law gave me a pretty old XLT detector. The one I used to use when he and I would go detecting.

My question is...with all the advances in electronics and software etc. over the years. Would I be better off buying a more modern detector? The XLT is around 20 years old. My budget for a new detector would be $400-$500 range max. Cheaper the better!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend just got a Minelab Vanquish and it's performing very well, and it's in that price range. I'd recommend looking at that one.

The talk is that White's has gone out of business, so you can't service the XLT any more.
(Side note: I have a White's MXT Pro that is acting eratic, and for the above reason I can't get it serviced. If anyone wants it for parts or whatever please send me a PM. I'm in New Jersey).

- Brian

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brian I had Whites detecters rebuilt by a guy in TX, his name is Keith

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy ya a new machine and use the whites for those times when you want to take a guy digging.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT is not a bad detector. Modern machines would usually have faster recovery speed, hence better separation. So you would be better off, but than again - how much does that metters for you. If the detection depth is not something you bet on, i would go with something like TX850 - a Chinese clone of G2 or Nokta Simplex, if you need a machine for a rainy day. If you need something deeper, than you should peek something of higher price, maybe it's worth to wait for the Apex real user's rewievs to come out.

OP
OP
H

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT is not a bad detector. Modern machines would usually have faster recovery speed, hence better separation. So you would be better off, but than again - how much does that metters for you. If the detection depth is not something you bet on, i would go with something like TX850 - a Chinese clone of G2 or Nokta Simplex, if you need a machine for a rainy day. If you need something deeper, than you should peek something of higher price, maybe it's worth to wait for the Apex real user's rewievs to come out.

Yeah the Simplex and Apex were recommended to me here initially.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's another thing with Simplex and Apex - both have internal Li battery, so you are looking at around 500 cycles or maybe 3 yeares without service. I guess no more machines for 20+ yeares.

OP
OP
H

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Simplex doesn't come with a charger? Did I just read that right?!?

RustyGold, the Equinox600 is lil bit more than I wanna spend. Plus I am no pro. Just wanting to get back into detecting after a 10 year hiatus. Not really even sure how much I will actually go detecting. So I hate to spend a whole lot. Looks like the Simplex has gotten really good reviews. And for the money I wonder how much better the Apex will be when it hits the stores.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
halo71 Quote
The Simplex doesn't come with a charger? Did I just read that right?!?
The Simplex comes with a charger cord... USB to headphone connector .
you can charge it up .
Gary

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I suggest you consider the Equinox 600 or one in the Vanquish series. Multi freq is the technology I prefer.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Simplex requires a standard 2.1 A USB wal charger.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an XLT for about six months in 2007. It was an excellent detector and I think competes well with more recent ones with a few exceptions. Changing setting on it is a pain and it is much heavier than more recent ones. Ultimately the weight was what caused me to sell it and go for a lighter one.

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try to see if you can find a local dealer in your area.Or you can call rich at Colonial detector sale. That who i deal with.
Its up to you! take your time,and don't rush. You will find the right detector.

OP
OP
H

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, looks like I'm mainly looking at the Ace Apex, Vanquish 540 and the Simplex. But the Simplex being single frequency....not sure I want that. And the Equinox 600 is a little higher than I really would like to spend.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any words of wisdom on these rigs?
Earlier in the thread I mentioned that a friend got a Minelab Vanquish, and it was performing well. I've been out with him since and it continues to perform well and he's very happy with it.
I can say this: Minelab support here in the US is good. I had to have mine repaired and they fixed it for free, and quickly.

Someone recently asked me about Garrett so I checked out eh Apex; it seems like a strong contender and some of the non-biased opinions I read seemed to declare it an excellent alternative to the Vanquish and Equinox 600. Personally I've never liked Garretts - something about their display on the detector itself just didn't click with me.

As for Nokta Simplex, I watched a couple videos on the detector and people also seem happy with it. One video showed it alongside an Equinox and even an XP Deus and the claim was that the Simplex was finding the same items (mostly coins) in an old house's yard. But I suspect it's not as flexible as a multi-frequency (Vanquish, Apex) so the ultimate answer may depend on what you detect for.

My final thoughts: review the controls carefully and especially things like switching between all-metal and other modes because you will use those buttons / controls all the time, hundreds of times per hunt. Check out how the detector pinpoints because you'll probably use that a lot too. Minelab uses -10 to 40 VDI while the others use 0-100; I'm ok with the -10 to 40 range, but are you?
Since all 3 detectors can get the job done, get the one that you think you'll like be most comfortable with using (via the controls).

OP
OP
H

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I've never liked Garretts - something about their display on the detector itself just didn't click with me.

I feel that way with the 540. It just looks cheap and dated to me while the Apex looks pretty modern. I've used Garretts before and liked them. Mainly the GTI1500 and GTI2500.

How important is that the Apex, ya can't do firmware updates. While the 540 ya can? Also the single frequency mode of the Simplex I am not sure about.

I don't do beach hunting much ever. Mostly hunt for coins and CW stuff. Right now I am leaning towards the Apex.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel that way with the 540. It just looks cheap and dated to me while the Apex looks pretty modern. I've used Garretts before and liked them. Mainly the GTI1500 and GTI2500.

How important is that the Apex, ya can't do firmware updates. While the 540 ya can? Also the single frequency mode of the Simplex I am not sure about.

I don't do beach hunting much ever. Mostly hunt for coins and CW stuff. Right now I am leaning towards the Apex.

If it breaks the tie: Garrett’s an American company so you’d be Buying American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread