SamAdams

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2020
NH, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if anyone here metal detects at night, and if you have a specific strategy. I dont know anyone else who is interested in detecting so its hard to find a partner, im in southern NH.

I got lights, self defence and the like, but im still afraid to go out haha idk

a beach is one thing, but wooded areas worry me greatly.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, hunting in the woods at night with headphones on is a GREAT idea!! Step on a pit viper, no fun!! Lots of guys down south hunt at night to avoid the heat, and those who trespass to hunt often do so at night. I have hunted schools and lawns at night to avoid the heat but don't think I'd go into the deep woods at night due to bears and those pesky pit vipers (copperheads and rattlers). Many modern machines have back lighting to make it easier to hunt in the dark, just choose your places to do so wisely.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i had one park that i only hunted at nite,no lites ,i just put the dirt in a classifier and put anything round in my pocket,it was fun to look at the finds with i got home,i went at nite because there were less helpers then.
be safe,have fun
brad

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt at night alot, mostly tot lots and random fields, maybe a street tearout when able. Don't think I'd try the woods for fear of biting insects and the like.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because of my experiences, hunting for shark teeth at night with UV light a few years back...I recommend the beach or the park for night work. Uneven terrain, obstacles, and holes! I had three painful, but could have been worse, injuries night hunting. You just can't see hazards. Good luck to you!

OP
OP
SamAdams

SamAdams

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2020
NH, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach, found nothing, but later on after sunrise hit a spot I went to with my dad about 15 years ago, crazy thing is all the stuff we found and put aside was still there untouched! Crazy. Found tons of 1800s pottery and glass and a ton of iron.

Also a bunch of weird iron shoe bottoms I think? Different sizes from child up to what i imagine would be a man, however I cant find anything online about iron soles, or iron shoe bottoms.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do but only in parks, no fields and have a flashlight mounted to detector and an extra in pocket along with a bit of protection just in case.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wondering if anyone here metal detects at night, and if you have a specific strategy. I dont know anyone else who is interested in detecting so its hard to find a partner, im in southern NH.

I got lights, self defence and the like, but im still afraid to go out haha idk

a beach is one thing, but wooded areas worry me greatly.

I've been known to do it in the hot summer. Makes things more difficult but much much better climate!

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to hunt tot lots at night. All gold rings come to the surface to play at night.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my own yard, when it gets dark early after work... but that was before the neighborhood bear started passing through our yard!!! :laughing7:

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do at the beach. The ambient light is reflected off the white sand and I normally only use a light if I can't find the target after digging it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions