Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point is weather affects millions, daylight is a major factor of a lockdown. If I could afford to move to a warmer climate I would being that said, I’m not a couch potato and watching fake and garbage reality tv, a waste of life, I’m not sure about u folks but life to short quality life to be watching stupid reality tv, explore, walk,

Do you have a work shop ? you sure sound like you'd enjoy one . projects done out in the shop with a fire in the stove, some nice music and you're preferred beverage within reach. and just do stuff , make something , fix something . I'm going to build a solar collector this winter to help heat my home . I also spend a good deal of time doing scrap metal art. Don't let winter rob you of 3 months every year. find something , hunting ? fishing?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To everything there is a season.

This time of year - harvest the last of the garden. Sharpen the broadheads for archery deer season. Till under the old plants and add some limestone and peat moss to the garden. Get ready for making sauerkraut. Harvest the horseradish and grind it up just before the ground freezes in November. Winterize the boat and store the kayaks in the barn. Maybe sneak in a few trips to the lake on the warmer days - good fishing in the fall.

Hunt deer and grouse.

Cut, split and stack firewood for next year.

Homebrew a few batches of beer (easier in the winter because roasting and boiling the grain heats up the kitchen and you can set the wort outside to cool before pitching in the yeast).

Snowshoe & cross-country ski.

Tie up some flies for next spring & summer.

Fletch up arrows if needed.

Cast some lead balls for the muzzleloaders. Reload centerfire ammo for target shooting and hunting. Shoot targets or just plink.

Then before you know it the ground is thawing and you can detect (and plant the next garden and start over).

PS - if you are bored get yourself an Airedale Terrier. You can NEVER wear one out with fetch or just tromping in the woods or miles on a leash-walk along the road. They will always be up for, or up to, something to keep you on your toes. ;-)

Silence is golden. With an Airedale it's suspicious.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also do a lot of what Charlie mentions except my garden gets no winter rest here in zone 7 . turnips and mustard are doing good , spinach , lettuce and radish was planted this week .I plant garlic at the end of November . What's not growing are the weeds and insect population. always something to be done living in the country.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t wait to get to the backcountry and inshore exploring, no skeeters and no-see-ums! Just around the corner. Have all sorts of trips planned I couldn’t do in the summer. My favorite time of year in Fl.

Me too brother !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread