Where do we go from here, is boredom a problem

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old saying like most hobbies, boredom or where we going to go now, we went everywhere mostly. I no it gets us all, we all live in different parts of the country, dam dark early is so stupid soon it will be simply not possible really dumb how it gets dark 3 hours plus early we talked about it before. Look myself I’m not a couch potato,winter robs you of many months of life and so on. Where do you detect, parks, fields, rivers, dams, fields. Go in woods etc. are most of these you tubers far fetched or what, I mean, how in the he’ll a few find so much are these edited or what. I’m in Pennsylvania I no we are not going to find what other states do it’s obvious. Myself and friend have detected more this year, results have included barber and mercury dimes, v nickels, Buffalo, pennies of all sorts, large cents, and relics to. I no to some would say what are we complaining about, maybe we are spoiled, but folks my friend works his ass off studying maps, going over small details possibly missed prior. I’d be glad to offer my experience to others in someways not secret spots. Anyhow how’s this all topic or subject effect your detecting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe expand into the waterways around the older areas you have already been or add something else into your arsenal like trying out magnet fishing for relics from bridges and docks that have been around for years or find where bridges once were. The winter months are great for research.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter months allow us to do the river and lakes which get real shallow, present a different perspective you don’t see often, thanks

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Winter is good for me as the crowds are gone (normally) and everything is wide open. The weather here is mostly mild so we have a longer hunting season. Good luck!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
winter is when I hunt the most , no biting bugs and the underbrush is down. shorter day light hours do not effect my metal detecting in a negative way at all .The only change is wearing an orange hat during deer season.
being retired and divorced, I do what I want when I want. This chapter in life is mine and I get to write it as I see fit. as far as hunting in the water in the winter ,I hope you have the proper gear or you'll freeze to death.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to off shore breezes, nor'easters, and beach erosion. Ya the water may get down to a brutal 72-74 not the 80+degrees i love so much.....but tis the season for spanish treasure. Hope to get up to the treasure coast if the nor'easters happen. I'll pound the old ground and prospect for more spanish spots. When the weather cools there will be less time in the water and more time in the mangrove swamps searching for bottles. Right now we have a dengue fever outbreak so trying to stay clear of mosquito infested areas. Just a different approach and hunting grounds as winter sets in......a welcome relief from the hurricane season !!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will do most of my digging November to April. That's because I like cooler temps and a few of the woods places I go have venomous snakes and ground nests of yellow jackets, so the cooler season, when crops are gone from the fields, are the best for me.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What always amuses me is when people complain about being bored after not being able to detect for only a week because of cold weather. I say, there are a ton of other hobbies out there you could be doing to keep yourself occupied. Winter goes too quick for me because I can't finish my other hobbies before spring comes. My detecting is from fall to spring. If the gound is frozen, I don't complain after a week because I can't get out.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the time works against us all, darkness unless you are fortunate enough to retire and be in good health to detect. I myself have ok health the other simply not going to happen my decision of jobs in my life didn’t work out, my fault. So when I say darkness 4 or 5 hours early robs me of my time detecting it does, good for all of you that rolled the dice and worked out for you, thanks and good luck, oh I detect everywhere except in the depths, I get rewarded it’s not easy reaching for more

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt during the Winter, unless the ground freezes hard. I stick to the woods where the leaf cover keeps the ground "softer".

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bent the tips off of several shovels trying to dig through frozen ground.
Then , only yards away, out of the field and into the woods, the leaf cover/ insulation was completely thawed with easy digging..

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t wait to get to the backcountry and inshore exploring, no skeeters and no-see-ums! Just around the corner. Have all sorts of trips planned I couldn’t do in the summer. My favorite time of year in Fl.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came in the door from some detecting the woods, saw 2 snakes , one green snake and a big fat copperhead. yellow jackets were very active as well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I'm inside today. I started to go to the beach but was too tired. Beach doesn't have yellow jacket nests.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect in the winter as that's when most of the fields are plowed but when I can't there's always more research to be done... my winter hunts do end up limiting out at only an hour or two though.

Last edited:

SamAdams

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2020
NH, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In NH winter shuts down alot of activity. 5 degree days are just too brutal no matter how you put it to go out, frozen dirt too is a complete pain. Fall is nice, but winter things do change

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is getting to the time of year I enjoy detecting the cliffs here in Elliott County. No snakes, folliage gone; can see so much more. Alot of rock shelters and old swimming holes in this neck of the woods. Good time to hunt when water is down as well.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For another month or two, until the ground freezes, hunting is pretty good here on shorelines. With the leaves off the bushes and vegetation dead you can get to some spots that the summer hunters can’t get to. I also do playgrounds more in the fall because it seems there are fewer hunters out during that season and school playground are being refilled.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point is weather affects millions, daylight is a major factor of a lockdown. If I could afford to move to a warmer climate I would being that said, I’m not a couch potato and watching fake and garbage reality tv, a waste of life, I’m not sure about u folks but life to short quality life to be watching stupid reality tv, explore, walk,

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter??..interesting theory:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread