Do anybody here know something about red jack group

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, Where was this group operating? In the Philippines or in the USA? I have heard of a group operating in the Philippines near DIGO's south of Davao City who were called "Red Shirt Rats" they were sort of like pirates, they supposedly had somethig to do with helpig the attack on the Samal Island Pearl Farm in 2001

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Red Jack gang operated in Arizona in the early 1880s, robbing stagecoaches, mainly along the San Pedro River. They were led by “Red Jack” Almer (aka Jack Averill) who, on one occasion, disguised himself as a female passenger and shot a Wells Fargo guard to assist the gang in stealing $3,000 in gold and currency when they held up a stagecoach near Riverside.

The gang was ultimately tracked down one by one by a posse led by Sheriff Bob Paul. Almer was found hiding out near Willcox, Arizona on 4th October 1883 and killed during the gunfight that accompanied his attempt to escape the posse.

The gang was said to have buried loot in areas near the Willcox hideout and legend has it that around $8,000 in gold coins is buried somewhere near Prescott, Arizona.

This is the gang, but I’m not sure which one is Almer (centre I guess?) or who the others are. Possibly one of them is Charley Hensley, who was also killed during the gunfight at the Willcox hideout and the other might possibly be Joe Tuttle.

Red Jack.jpg

Sheriff A. J. Doran had already rounded up two others connected to the gang (Len Redfield and Joe Tuttle) after finding a Wells Fargo strongbox hidden in hay at Redfield’s ranch and wringing a confession out of Tuttle who was staying at the ranch. They were jailed at Florence, where a lynch mob broke in through the back door, sprung them from their cells and hanged them from the rafters.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions