Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my first outing planned for Sunday, IF it doesn't rain. Then a couple more weeks and then a CW dig. I have given away or donated to museums most of my collection, but occasionally go a little berserk and buy something. These two buttons I got this week:

IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2224.JPG

This is a standard pre war Georgia state seal button. It has the Mintzer backmark and is 100% gorgeous. I couldn't resist it!

IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2226.JPG

Now this button is beyond something else. It's the first I have ever seen no less! I had a hard time with a proper ID and time frame, but was eventually victorious! It's a just pre Civil War Louisiana Pelican Guards button. From the seller I got some information, and did double check the info. It was a small independent LA militia company, never more than 150 men strong. The back is the key to dating it. It was not certain before 2001 or so whether it was CW or later. The maker, Trelon, Weldon & Weill was in business 1814 to 1865. They then merged with another company and added the Initials "H" and "M" to the back in place of the anchor and bomb. They finally went out of business in 1902 according to McGuinn and Bazelon in their book on backmarks. 2001 is when they published the edition I have. I love research and buttons. I'd rather have a button than a coin any day. I'm trying to get a couple more from my friend who has several. We did a trade and these two were in the trade.

I hope covid is over soon, and I think by 2nd quarter 2021 it will be all but gone, as the 1918 flu lasted 15 months and then "disappeared". THEN I can get out and dig more, I hope. With real human beings no less!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cat has good taste... :notworthy:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have my first outing planned for Sunday, IF it doesn't rain. Then a couple more weeks and then a CW dig. I have given away or donated to museums most of my collection, but occasionally go a little berserk and buy something. These two buttons I got this week:

View attachment 1869837 View attachment 1869838

This is a standard pre war Georgia state seal button. It has the Mintzer backmark and is 100% gorgeous. I couldn't resist it!

View attachment 1869840 View attachment 1869842

Now this button is beyond something else. It's the first I have ever seen no less! I had a hard time with a proper ID and time frame, but was eventually victorious! It's a just pre Civil War Louisiana Pelican Guards button. From the seller I got some information, and did double check the info. It was a small independent LA militia company, never more than 150 men strong. The back is the key to dating it. It was not certain before 2001 or so whether it was CW or later. The maker, Trelon, Weldon & Weill was in business 1814 to 1865. They then merged with another company and added the Initials "H" and "M" to the back in place of the anchor and bomb. They finally went out of business in 1902 according to McGuinn and Bazelon in their book on backmarks. 2001 is when they published the edition I have. I love research and buttons. I'd rather have a button than a coin any day. I'm trying to get a couple more from my friend who has several. We did a trade and these two were in the trade.

I hope covid is over soon, and I think by 2nd quarter 2021 it will be all but gone, as the 1918 flu lasted 15 months and then "disappeared". THEN I can get out and dig more, I hope. With real human beings no less!

Those are beautiful buttons, Smokey. Interesting about the pre Civil War Louisiana Pelican Guards button, too. I remember a discussion from years ago about that backmark and had made a notation in my book. It took me a while to find the post again, but here is what The CannonBallGuy said. Now I see your post, I checked again to satisfy my ow curiosity, and found your button listed as 24A on page 152 in Alberts book. :icon_thumright: Thanks for the post!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 7.15.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 7.15.55 AM.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol, I actually emailed Peter (cannonballguy) the other day before trading for the button. I have casually known him since the 1980's, yes, I'm an old cat! It's not been that long since collectors found out the manufacturer merged in 1865 with another company and the backmark changed then. Back in the day there were indeed questions re that button, and of course with an iron back, finding a complete one with a legible backmark from the ground is about impossible. Think of it like buying a 2020 Delorean car. They don't exist! brou haha brou haha! I don't think a firm price is set on them. Just like the NMI button from Virginia. I've seen them from $300 to $3000. It's also like the 2nd South Carolina button from the Revolution, the one with the "2 SC". Until about the year 2000 they were totally unknown, now several have been found.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread