Is this ok

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I'm wandering does this hurt the coil, or keep it from picking up. I dont really think so, but I'm no MD expert. I cant see buying a cover, to make it look pretty longer. Most of the scrachs are just scuffing the surface, and not deep gouges. I try not to bang it around on big rocks. So I guess if it damages it latter on, maybe I can get a 9x12 coil. But I'm not rich, so I dont play on upgradeing it any more thanthe rain/dust cover that I bought for my ace 250.

If I upgrade it will be to a minelab. ;D

Attachments

• ace 250 coil.jpg
    ace 250 coil.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 349

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
those scratches wont hurt, could get a coil cover, i dont like covers they tend to pick up sand an can mess with your detector, so if you get one dont forget to take it off and clean it at times

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Hi Marty:

I don't like coil covers either. Here is a little trick you can do to protect your coil and help with wet grass. Clean the bottom of your coil with armoral every time you go out hunting. This will protect plus make your coil slide in the grass really smooth. You will be suprised how easy the coil moves in wet grass(no drag at all). I also use it on my digging tools and dirt doesn't stick. \\Keep on diggin

Les

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
NO! Thats not OK! You need MANY MORE scratches on the bottom of your coil. You obviously havent been swinging that metal detector enough. 8) I have this XLT that I have owned since before christ was born. Never had a coil cover and never has the coil failed. The bottom is worn smoth...........No problem with the scratches.

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
no worries, just keep an eye out and make sure no gouges go all the way through the coil, water will get in and cause havoc

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
I think that is not hurt with scratches on the bottom of the coil. I see the dealer, who have a lot of used metal detector and I checked the bottom of coil where it have a lot of scratches, too. Many people still buy it anyway.

Richard

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
go to Home Depot and get some lock tite marine epoxy and coat the bottom with that. It will save your coil and you wont have to worry about dirt getting under the cover :)

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Thanks yall, those are some good pointers, and I'll keep all of that in mind. And keep swinging them coils, I know that this one shure will. Have a goodern yall. I'd tell Andy hawdy for youins but he dont come round much these days. ;D

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
coin finder , Here about the coil cover, I Just went to my Dealer to say hi a Guy came in and wanted to buy a new (coil) &.. a COVER, the dog was in car and (CHEWED) up his coil............... so if I was you I should buy a cover.. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread