Hot rocks, oh how they mess with us

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a part of my yard I just quit trying because of them. I'm really curious as to where they come from though because I occasionally find them in fields, orchards, homesites and just about anywhere else. They drive me CRAZY.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They can be a real problem at times, but I dig just about every signal anyway...glutten for punishment! On the bright side, my philosophy has yeilded some killer finds! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s your digging philosophy, sounds are important, how about your vdi if it simp,y jumps all over or stays with in a few numbers what’s your determination on dig or not even though you said dig everything, thanks

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had pieces of coal that set off my pinpointer...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I understand the definition of "hot rocks" they are rocks containing iron oxides: magnetite, hematite, limonite, maghemite and lepidocrocite.

Magnetite (Fe3O4) being the most common. My F-75 has a side bar graph that shows the level of Magnetite and helps me "avoid" hot rocks. Though sometimes I dig anyway and find interesting iron/steel relics.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to hot rocks. Most of the coal clinkers I can easily tell with my Deus, other hot rocks also have, well, call it an "after tone", it rings, then rings back. On my old, old, old Tesoro, the granite rocks were a huge problem.

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never dug up a hot rock in my area.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not hunt near railroad tracks or old school running tracks that are made of cinders since they are infested with hot rocks.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig in a dry creek bed looking for nuggets hot rocks will drive you nuts trust me. But you got to dig all signals or miss the goodies. Have fun anyways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread