What's your favorite "out of place" or "accidental" find?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been hunting long but once when I was detecting a 1900 house I stumbled across relics from a homesite that later research showed to be active only from 1799 to early 1800s, I found a nice button and some musket balls there. Another time I was detecting an 1870 house and I didn't realize that it was just about on top of an old post office site from 1850 and I pulled a largie and flying eagle there. Anyway, what are your favorite finds that you would consider "accidental" or (at least until you did your research) "out of place"?

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got bored and metal detected a small woods near my house that had no historical activity that I know of. The woods was next to a house built in the 1950s. After 2 hours of finding old shotgun shells and fence wire I dug my first barber dime 1899 in good condition. I got excited and metal detected the woods for another 8 hours the next few days. I never found another coin or anything of value.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A modern silver wedding ring marked "Mexico" out of a Civil War camp. A newly dropped old gold coin off a modern and still in use beach. Both were big surprises. Two Confederate buttons out of a local farm, where little else was found.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two days of hunting for a friend's lost piece of jewelry...
Day 1: 1787 Fugio Copper
Day 2: 1783 Nova Constellatio Copper
Day 3: Clad Quarter :laughing7:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is said that "The Uncle Sam" is the largest diamond found in the United States...Though I am a firm believer that "The Tia Juana" is the largest found...Or at least I believe it to be the largest...At the time I was pretty drunk and some friends and myself were trouncing around near Reno, NV slamming beers and having fun...Anyhow...I found what I believe to be a IF color D diamond after peeing on it...If I had not stopped in that exact spot to relieve myself I would not be sharing this tale with ya'll...

Who can say if it truly was a large paragon diamond...The odds are against me that it was...They are supposedly a billion to one...So...If any of ya'll are prospecting near Reno, NV and you come across something that looks like clear glass...You should take a closer look at it...You may never know if anyone else has tossed it on the wayside believing it was a useless piece of glass...

Or you could do as I did and give it away to a Mackay School of mines alumnus and see what happens...Oh well...I still have not heard of anyone finding any such diamond in Nevada...Such is life...

Ed T ;)

Last edited:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mine was a George Washington inaugural button. The site was colonial, but never even considered digging a GW button in southwest va, as it was the frontier here during that time. Also didn't know it was one until I got home and washed it in the sink and I was doing a happy dance for days!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A modern silver wedding ring marked "Mexico" out of a Civil War camp. A newly dropped old gold coin off a modern and still in use beach. Both were big surprises. Two Confederate buttons out of a local farm, where little else was found.
I think that pretty well tops my flying eagle story haha. Nice Smokey.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beings I have been looking for a gold or silver or both filled treasure chest ever since I began detecting...

Everything I have found since day one has been... "out of place and accidental".

:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread