I’m new, and not sure where to post this

Sassymom

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me, I’m still trying to figure out this format. I joined last night and posted a spear head on the Indian artifact board that was found on our property in northern Michigan. I have this scabbard/sheath? that was found in the same area as the spear head. Kind of curious if anyone can help identify its age. I apologize if this is not the correct board to post this type of thing. I hope the pictures show up.

2B26DD65-DFFE-45DC-A008-A62BEB872429.jpeg

BD50B689-A510-4010-909B-56737C845067.jpeg

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I like it...although I'm not sure what it is..it's late, wait for the pros...

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the main page you will find a forum titled "What is it" near the top of the page. Post it there along with everything you know about it and include dimensions and what you think it is made of. The more help you can give makes it more likely that you will get a correct ID. Ans, welcome to the forums.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dimensions would be helpful. And "in the same area" isn't much help if we haven't stumbled on the earlier post. This was dug?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
European, late 1800's, IMO. Yours is the scabbard for the popular bayonet/sword of the time. Many countries made/used them. This one is from Germany.

bayonet.jpg

Incidentally, I had one just like this model. Sword/scabbard. It went away during a home burglary 30+ years ago.

Edit. After a quick look again, the Enfield rifle of Civil War times had a bayonet scabbard similar to yours, so I guess that style goes back a ways.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread