Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Terry, I've long ago turned my back on the guys always finding sensational items for obvious reasons and I barely watch any anymore unless I get a new machine and, as you say, you can get a good jump start on features and techniques watching a few vids.

I do like "She Detector", fairly knowledgeable and hot too, I think she has reached the point where manufacturers are sending her free stuff to review, but her reviews seem to the point and honest and feature more on the use of the machine than "OMG, go out and buy this right now !" that you'd half expect from people getting free stuff.
Also like "Nora Svet", another knowledgeable and hot detector chick, she nearly exclusively water hunts and seems to go all around the world doing it. Mixes in drone footage of some fairly exotic places, and always shows the bad with the good.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Xraywolf

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out those 'hot' detector chicks for sure!...lol I'm new to the world of detecting, so I haven't had time to grow jaded, bored or disillusioned with any of these youtube detector guys.

P.S that bug in your profile pic is really annoying!...lol

Best regards,

JG

Last edited:

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watch a lot of them and I guarantee you, having done video editing and cinematography on motion pictures, the kind you can BUY, a lot of what you are seeing is faked. I won't mention any specific channels of course, but my favorite was where the guy dug a shiny buffalo nickel about 6" down. I watch them for entertainment value. LMAO

I agree, check out a channel called “gold and relic hunter 1958” if you want a laugh. :laughing7:

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have my own channel. Metal Detecting with CZKidd. I agree. Seeing some guys finding 2-3 rings per outing. VEddy, veddy suspicious. Last few outings I barely got enough clad to make a vid.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Honestly Don't remember my Record for Rings in one Outing, But I had 1 Year where I Know I Found Several Gold Rings
in one Outing and over 100 rings (Gold , Silver & Junk) in one spot While Hunting a WW2 Era Through 1960's Swimming Site.
I was confident of several gold and silver rings daily. I didn't find them Daily, But I did find them allot !
because as the water was drained out, I would be there early and hit the new ground first.
there are spots, but I doubt some of these youtuber's simply because it's obvious they want clicks.
and it seems only people like me like seeing members have a "regular" day out.
Maybe a Few Clad Coins & a ton of Trash . and Occasionally a Piece of silver or Junk ring Works for me.
coffee2.gif

Hitting Rings, Silver & or Gold every spot They go to.
No Way, I Don't believe it ! The Curse of Gold is Real ! :skullflag:
I never find it now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I use an Adblocker. I do not have an account and never sign in. If a youtube channel (even 'I' know the top suspects!) is seeding a site with 'finds' to get my 'click,' they are wasting their time. If you want my money, sell me something interesting on ebay or elsewhere. I don't care if you dug it, or found it on a display table at the Sheboygan International Button and Coin Collectors Expo.

JG

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Czkidd

I'm a budding detectorist. I am anxious to detect the bottom of the Mill pond adjacent to my property. So I enjoyed your (very brief) video.

I felt like I got my feet a little wet. Our pond is shallow, so I won't be Deep Sea Diving and up to my neck in water like you were in this video.

However, I was disappointed that you didn't find George Washington's teeth or Joseph Smith's Golden Plates. I'm going back to that other channel that somehow never fails to deliver...lol :dontknow:
Man, that GoPro seems to be battling you every step of the way...lol

P.S. I did just watch two other longer videos: Lake Gold, and Lake Hunts & Gold. You find a lot of rings.

Regards,

JG

Last edited:

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the videos from "Square Nail Squirrel"

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob, NOW is the season for detecting, NOT the spring. In your neck of the woods, the yellow jackets are just now starting to die off. NOW is the time. There is something about the cooling of the soil that helps the machines find stuff. We will be starting here next weekend. Most of February is a bust, but hey, that's February. Each season has its separate trips. Relic hunting starts now. It will go to May 1 or so when the planting is done. Then it's up north to a Rev camp with Indian artifacts for me. Then it gets too hot and the fields there are planted also. So in mid summer its a few weeks off then back to the local beaches to get back in the swing of things, and a few more weeks till now - when prime digging season starts.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Smokey

I hope this "Joseph" guy takes your good advice...lol

I am going to detect my property under very controlled conditions. I will be using a grid system, and carefully cataloging every substantive find. There will not be a square inch of my historic property that will be ignored. This isn't something I want to rush. I'm still investigating equipment and technique. My problem isn't yellow jackets, but mosquitoes, green heads and gnats. I live by a river, a marsh, a pond, a creek, a swamp, a bay, and the Ocean. I am surrounded by wetness.

JG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Honestly Don't remember my Record for Rings in one Outing, But I had 1 Year where I Know I Found Several Gold Rings
in one Outing and over 100 rings (Gold , Silver & Junk) in one spot While Hunting a WW2 Era Through 1960's Swimming Site.
I was confident of several gold and silver rings daily. I didn't find them Daily, But I did find them allot !
because as the water was drained out, I would be there early and hit the new ground first.
there are spots, but I doubt some of these youtuber's simply because it's obvious they want clicks.
and it seems only people like me like seeing members have a "regular" day out.
Maybe a Few Clad Coins & a ton of Trash . and Occasionally a Piece of silver or Junk ring Works for me.:coffee2:

Hitting Rings, Silver & or Gold every spot They go to.
No Way, I Don't believe it ! The Curse of Gold is Real ! :skullflag:
I never find it now.
Believe it or not - 2012 was one of my best yrs (been detecting since 1975 age 12)
I did get silver and/or gold every time out
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums1651.html
Unlike some hunters - I try and show all the odds and ends and most of my junk finds too
I hunt in all metal 99% of the time and try getting it all - I go mostly to old spots
that were supposedly hunted out yrs ago and go for the deep stuff
most rings in one day - 16 (6 gold... 9 silver)
attachment.php

best year - 72 gold rings
attachment.php

Best trip - 4 days in Florida - 26 pieces of gold
attachment.php

silver from trip
attachment.php

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Caspar

Man, you've been detecting a long time. I was born in 1979...lol

That's quite an assortment of rings. I assume some of these are Class Rings, Masonic Lodge rings, and I even see some engagement rings or wedding bands. There is a story behind every find that we'll probably never know.

What sort of gold are you finding? 18k? 24k? Gold plate?

Regards,

JG

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not - 2012 was one of my best yrs (been detecting since 1975 age 12)
I did get silver and/or gold every time out
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums1651.html
Unlike some hunters - I try and show all the odds and ends and most of my junk finds too
I hunt in all metal 99% of the time and try getting it all - I go mostly to old spots
that were supposedly hunted out yrs ago and go for the deep stuff
most rings in one day - 16 (6 gold... 9 silver)

best year - 72 gold rings

Best trip - 4 days in Florida - 26 pieces of gold

silver from trip

Yea it's Funny {Not really Funny}How when Gold was $279 an Oz & Silver around $4.95 an OZ I Could Find it fine..
Unfortunately I Sold it at less then Those Prices Too :(

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it's Funny How when Gold was $279 an Oz & Silver around $4.95 an OZ I Could Find it fine..
Unfortunately I Sold it at less then Those Prices Too :(

I sold a bunch when i was a kid in the early 80s - then had to after 2 divorces in the 90s - bought a house in 2005 and sold when it hit $900
and furnished my house - i started with bent and broken stuff - then plain wedding bands and signets and sold some here and there - highest was like $1200- but didnt have much by then
i still have about 70 gold left mostly with nice stones and diamonds - Ive returned quite a few over the yrs too - wish i could have saved it all
till $1900 an ounce - i couldve retired

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC: Caspar

Man, you've been detecting a long time. I was born in 1979...lol

That's quite an assortment of rings. I assume some of these are Class Rings, Masonic Lodge rings, and I even see some engagement rings or wedding bands. There is a story behind every find that we'll probably never know.

What sort of gold are you finding? 18k? 24k? Gold plate?

Regards,

JG

Lot of old class rings - wedding bands - some from the late 1800s
old signets from the early 1900s - I hunt old beaches that go back to the late 1800s - early 1900s
I dont count plated rings - all pictured are 9k up to 22k - Ive found a 24K band a few yrs back
I only have 4 coins from my first 20 yrs still
one being a 1918 over 17 S - standing lib. quarter in almost mint shape - its prob the nicest coin I ever found

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thx. Cool. This spot I kept an eye out for almost the entire summer. I would see people swimming there every weekend, but never a detectorist. It is right beside the main marked off swim area. Got 2 rings outa there. I hunt alot. I bet for every 8-10 hunts I go out on, I make a vid. Water vids, 4-5 hunts, for every vid. But some are pumping out vids that don't make sense on the finds. I get a unmarked swim holes that is of considerable age and not been hunted. Decades of dropped jewelry and never been hit. What days and days that would make for hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread