Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually only watch youtubers that show the tones and VDI. I like watching gardansolyn aka Gary, he works for XP and has a lot of videos using the XP Deus. JJJames is another good channel about 50% of his videos are beach detecting and he uses a variety of detectors. Calabash Digger is another good channel he has a lot of test videos on various detectors. I don't like metal detecting videos that just go from hole to hole without showing their detector or tones an VID or the scenery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually only watch youtubers that show the tones and VID. I like watching gardansolyn aka Gary, he works for XP and has a lot of videos using the XP Deus. JJJames is another good channel about 50% of his videos are beach detecting and he uses a variety of detectors. Calabash Digger is another good channel he has a lot of test videos on various detectors. I don't like metal detecting videos that just go from hole to hole without showing their detector or tones an VID or the scenery.

I have noticed that one of the most popular detecting channels always seems to show their biggest finds 'after' they've been dug and are lying on top of the spoil or at the bottom of the hole. Hmmmm....

Regards,

JG

bunkeru2k

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually like the DetectorBen vids on youtube. Several of his show his Nox settings for that hunt in advance and camera mounted to show all the VDI and tones. Live digs and some decent commentary on why he is doing and what he is expecting from the signals. For someone fairly new, I have picked up quite a bit on things from his channel.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that one of the most popular detecting channels always seems to show their biggest finds 'after' they've been dug and are lying on top of the spoil or at the bottom of the hole.

That's because live digs are a pain in the butt. I never do them because it always ends up being a shotgun shell or clad coin. Plus, shooting videos for every good signal kills the fun of detecting. I just like to show some of my good finds in situ. I also like to show the New England scenery, as well as some of the cellar holes and stone walls we have here in RI.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy his videos as well.

Yes, Square Nail Squirrel is one of the best around, however he is backing off making videos (see his last vid), for awhile - hope he returns, as he does the research to find sites, takes time to show and tell, very personable guy.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CC: Smokeythecat

I have a lot of acres, and it's mostly wooded. Regrowth over old farm fields and pasture really. I guess I could dig up my own back yard, but I don't think my family and neighbours would appreciate it if I showed up with a back-hoe to excavate their property...lol I live in a small town that was invaded by the British during the Rev War. A privateering center. My detecting opportunities are jaw-dropping. I've enjoyed collecting, but I will doubly enjoy digging up treasure for myself. Rescuing history as the boys say.

I'm most looking forward to detecting the bottom of the Mill pond adjacent to my property. I've gotten some great advice here on TN about what equipment I should buy.

Best regards,

JG

I’m sure you could get the Hoover boys on your prop in a heartbeat, but why would you do that? Save the jaw droppers for yourself and your family.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve been detecting regularly for coming up on 10 years and YouTube videos have helped me to know the bulk of what I know about sites, equipment, finds and more. That said, I don’t watch often or many at all, and so many mentioned here I’ve never seen. Not against them though they can get rather campy.
Being a detectorist that works alone,the information in then is invaluable, but if I watch too many I start to get over envious of the great locations and then more discouraged by the lack of good finds which is the norm most of the time. Over the long run I’ve made a lot of terrific finds but day to day not so much. Still I enjoy every outing for whatever it brings.also, I almost only wAtch detecting vids over the long dark winter.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do Remember seeing one by the Hoover boys Last Night at a Possible Fur Trade Post in a Field.
Too many Green Large Coins in a Row.

At the end they showed the Pile of Trash they also Dug.
It did Disappoint me they didn't Mix those digs in to show reality of a supposed days hunt :(

Jeff, morning sir, I'm proud to report that not one thing the Hoover Boys have pulled out of the ground came from someone's pocket or from eBay. Two coppers in a row rarely happen. Editing sometimes creates that illusion, as you have fairly pointed out. We have entire hunts that don't make it to film because nothing of note was found. Years ago, Kurt did an episode where he put together a montage of EVERYTHING he found, in sequence. It was boring. That was the point of the episode. The highlight finds and the camaraderie make it to Youtube. Some of the blooper shots at the end of the videos show trash targets, too. "Live digs" that end up being JUNK! We also don't use "cops called" or "bomb found" or scare tactics. (You didn't say we did, thank you for that.) If something unbelievable is found, the video is called 'unbelievable' or 'astounding'. Although, a little speculation and a bit of guesswork is OK to make a youtube title sound intriguing, in my opinion. I used to be a very active tnet poster before the hoover clique ever formed, charter member, etc. I still love browsing the forum but I don't think we always get a fair shake--and that's fine. THB 'just another youtube channel' 'on garrett payroll' (not true), 'don't work for their finds'. The list goes on. Whoever noted we should win acacemy awards for faking finds? Thank you for that. I have so much raw/personal emotion on YouTube it's not even funny. My highest and lowest emotions while out in the field are all on the internet for the world to view. Not one iota of emotion or energy or anything has been fabricated for the camera. There are many moments I have only been able to watch ONE TIME. Sounds dumb, right? It's true.

I don't always respond to threads like this but I have a lot of respect for Jeff of PA and many other long-time posters here, so figured it was worth chiming in.

Take care everyone! Thanks for enjoying out hunts. Some day, when we all grow up, I'll start posting finds again. Haha

Brad

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sure you could get the Hoover boys on your prop in a heartbeat, but why would you do that? Save the jaw droppers for yourself and your family.

That is correct. I would drop what I was doing for an opportunity like that haha!

Enjoy your property for years to come, save it for your family and close friends. When you don't think there is anything left, shoot me a message. haha

Brad

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple that I enjoy watching are Plugmaster Ford and Missouri Mike. They may not be the most prolific finders but they seem to really have fun with what they are doing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread