Best Detecting Channels on youtube?

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
As someone who is new to the world of metal detecting, I have found a wealth of resources on youtube pertaining to this pursuit. By example, I am learning technique, the standard tool-kit, legality, etiquette, best practices and ethics.

So far, my favourite American Channel is that of 'The Hoover Boys.' My favourite British Channel is West Country Clegg. What are your favourites or recomendations, if any?

Best regards,

JG

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jacobgosling,

HooverBoys is definitely one of my favorite US channels. Recommend also checking out Brad at Green Mountain Detecting, he has a great channel as well. I like Hans at TerraGermania for my favorite German site - it is in English. While I watch West Country Clegg on occasions, he is a tad bit over the top most of the time. I have a couple of favorite Brit channels that I watch to include IronHeartedGog (Gordon Heritage) and AddictedtoBleeps. Gordon Heritage is a Minelab tester and his videos always include little known tips for Minelab products. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: WG2020

Thanks for the additional suggestions. They are all new to me except 'Brad at Green Mountain Detecting' whose channel I was watching just today. Some of those guys on youtube never find anything of interest. The Hoover Boys always deliver at least one interesting find. Clegg is 'very' enthusiastic and a little over-excitable. I guess I'd be pretty excited as well if I could dig up a viking hoard in my backyard...lol

I live on a very old property in New Jersey that has seen several invasions by the British during the Revolutionary War. My family were burnt out twice. Part of my house was built in the 18th, and part in the early 19th centuries. There was an Inn, a General Merchandise Store and a Mill on the property. I'll start detecting my own land this Spring, and then move to the cousins, friends and neighbours. The Hoover Boys would love to dig my turf!

Best regards,

JG

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JG,

Sounds like you have enough property to keep you busy for awhile. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of channels I love watching. As they said above, can’t get enough of Hoover Boys and Green Mountain Metal detecting. Also aquachigger, he gets up to various adventures these days. There also used to be a channel that doesn’t Post anymore called Relic Roundup with Cowboy, some Good vids on his channel with amazing finds. If you like civil war I’d check out Gonediggin, Dig’n Texas, Tag Team recoveries, the list goes on.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: DiggerKid2003

I recently watched a youtube video on the 'Green Mountain Metal detecting' channel. The guy found a Continental USA cuff button on the middle of the woods. This guy is almost psychic! Agreed. Great channels all.

JG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having been approached to do a "reality show" on metal detecting, I am extremely suspicious of weekly Youtubers finding superior items on every hunt. Some of these folks start out innocently enough, with some fantastic and legitimate artifact, coin, and jewelry finds. Then the pressure for more "clicks" gets under their skin, and the need for more of that easy Google Adsense money infects their bloodstreams. Soon they are "finding" items that were purchased. Not all, but the VAST majority.

IMPORTANT! - The above statement is MY Opinion. It may not be based on fact. Then again, it may be. :skullflag:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try out Stealth Diggers - where Digger Charlie records hunts that majority of stuff goes into local museum eventually. Colonial materials and historical features across landscape. And Exploring to FIND these sites, so they can be hunted....
Not Thursday is another one of the same group...also hunting in New Hampshire.
Mud Dog Mandy
Addictedtobleeps

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Terry Solomon

I am a born cynic and share your skeptical nature. I am sure many of these youtube treasure hunters are seeding the ground. However, there are tell-tale signs which indicate a legitimate discovery. I believe the Hoover Boys are one of the more credible channels on youtube. When a coin is dug and there is a well-impacted mineralized impression left in the soil where the coin is removed, that speaks something for the legitimacy of the find.

And the excitement and emotion of their discoveries is something hard to fake. If they 'are' faking, some of those Hoover Boys deserve an Academy or People's Choice Award.

I do find it curious that so many of their finds don't appear on camera until after they are dug and lying on the surface in the spoil or the hole.

Nice to make you acquaintance and I love your hat!...lol

Best regards,

JG

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: eyemustdigtreasure

Thanks. I'll look up those 'Stealth Diggers.' They sound like an admirable group. And the others as well. Jeesh! Isn't anyone detecting here in South New Jersey?

Best regards,

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestion: Go rent one of those tiny backhoes and after detecting, your lawn needed reseeding, right? Take off 6" detect, and put it all back and on and on and on. I did that in my front lawn for gold and did pretty well, but it got really messy! But it was a lot of fun. We dug down about 4' and then left the hole open, panned the dirt in a water trough, like they get for large animals and filled it back in by hand. The gold was there but small. Lotsa fun and messy!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to look at Aquachigger’s older videos of his amazing and massive underwater coins find. Probably one of the most thrilling detecting videos I have watched.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Smokeythecat

I have a lot of acres, and it's mostly wooded. Regrowth over old farm fields and pasture really. I guess I could dig up my own back yard, but I don't think my family and neighbours would appreciate it if I showed up with a back-hoe to excavate their property...lol I live in a small town that was invaded by the British during the Rev War. A privateering center. My detecting opportunities are jaw-dropping. I've enjoyed collecting, but I will doubly enjoy digging up treasure for myself. Rescuing history as the boys say.

I'm most looking forward to detecting the bottom of the Mill pond adjacent to my property. I've gotten some great advice here on TN about what equipment I should buy.

Best regards,

JG

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: SusanMN

Thanks Susan. I'll look him up. I am most interested in detecting the bottom of our Mill pond, so this would be of particular interest to me.

Best regards,

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a lot of them and I guarantee you, having done video editing and cinematography on motion pictures, the kind you can BUY, a lot of what you are seeing is faked. I won't mention any specific channels of course, but my favorite was where the guy dug a shiny buffalo nickel about 6" down. I watch them for entertainment value. LMAO

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Ones where they Don't Talk Fast Like a Crooked Used Car Salesman , And Wave their Camera Around Wildly.
I Turn those off Fast.

I Prefer the ones That realize Slow is Better. & show those Trash Finds.

If it looks like Every Dig is a Colonial Coin or Relic, I Get Bored.

Sorry I rarely Pay attention to Names of the Hunters,
So I can't drop Names.

I do Remember seeing one by the Hoover boys Last Night at a Possible Fur Trade Post in a Field.
Too many Green Large Coins in a Row.

At the end they showed the Pile of Trash they also Dug.
It did Disappoint me they didn't Mix those digs in to show reality of a supposed days hunt :(

OH & The Lying in the Titles ! a Total Ripoff, when they say "The Police didn't expect us to Find this"
and when you watch the Video & The Police stopped by To say Hi & Just asked them if they had any Luck
So they showed them all their Trash :BangHead:

Total Scam to get Viewers !

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: jeff of pa, smokeythecat

'Stealth Diggers' seem to find an equitable volume of trash and treasure. One of the more popular detecting channels seems to excavate Museum Quality finds every time they step into a cow pasture or wade into a river. No names of course. But I enjoy seeing the items and experiencing the drama; genuine or cinematic. It's all a learning experience. You wouldn't like 'my' channel if I had one. I'd have a stroke or collapse from excitement every time I found a lousy tombac...lol

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: trash Sometimes its the site you're on. My one site from long, long ago produced coins, Rev War marked buttons (2), F&I buttons (5), a cannon ball, a couple dozen grapeshot and over 1,000 round musket balls, the only "trash" was horseshoes, broken plowshares, parts to spring harrows and wadded up old aluminum foil "balls" from someone's lunch. Another - several Rev War marked buttons, of course most were of the dog food variety, the only trash was a few pop tops and new(er) fired bullets or casings, my one current CW site has produced a couple plates, busted artillery rounds, Yankee buttons, only "new" stuff was a few Lincoln cents, some pencil erasers and cans left by other diggers from long in the past. The most surprising sites (3 of them), well, my farmer friend let me dig and out came CW stuff - good stuff, no one thought to look before. Another great spot was not too far away - Confederate buttons and all the hardware to a McLellan saddle! TONS of small bits of aluminum and an occasional whole or nearly whole aluminum can. Gotta dig them, they sometimes sound like plates. Third place - my friends literally "bought the farm" and the Yanks chased the Rebels right through the place, and apparently someone camped there. Plates, hat badges, coins including gold, bullets, some buttons and the last find this spring was a cut off ramrod, the time before my friend dug a grapeshot! Only one!! And all three places had very little trash (except for that one little spot on site #3 that breeds aluminum cans, but its a small area)! It's marvelous when it works out that way!

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: smokeythecat

I've never felt any great interest in the Civil War. The Civil War digs are safe from me. Colonial and Revolutionary War artifacts and ephemera are my passion. I've been an historian, genealogist, writer etc. for a long time, but I've only recently become a collector. Hopefully, I'll begin detecting next Spring, and the purists here on TN will get off my back...lol

I am surprised at how obsessed I've become with Colonial and Rev War buttons. I grab everything I can. However, I do have a little self-control. Some sellers are a little too optimistic about what their wares are worth. In reality, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. One seller begins an auction at $1.99 and another at $250 for the same button, same condition.

I cant imagine how anyone is willing to part with a Continental USA button, or British Fifth Reg. of Foot button (not that I've ever seen one for sale). But I'm grateful they are. I'd never sell anything I've acquired. But Smokey probably felt the same way when he was 40 years-old.

I love learning about history. But I also love living with history. I like 'old' things, and I'm willing to pay for them or 'dig' for them.

JG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread