Help identifying the use for the block I found on old farm.

Xanthenx

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting around my family's old farm I recently discovered a weird concrete block about 2'×2'×1' buried only about a foot down at it's bottom so it was essentially visible on the surface once the grass was torn away. Protruding from the top side a few inches diagonally from each corner towards the center are 4 pieces of metal wire-like material, but much thicker than any wire I have ever seen, similar to the diameter of a standard BIC ink pen. I cannot tell if it is copper or some other metal I'm leaning towards the latter, but it is malleable. Was it used as some sort of electrical ground or what? The farm was once used to grow tobacco and a concrete block built tobacco barn still stands on the property nearby. The humidity control was still on the wall and I pulled a little jar from the hole in one of the blocks, alas it was empty however.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture will do wonders in helping to give you an answer.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some sort of an anchor block but need a pic.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't need to anchor a ground wire. Here on my "hobby farm" I have to go down 18" to get below the frost line when setting things like posts, flagpoles, shed footers, pads to rest the trailer tongue wheel on, rain barrel bases, etc. so they stay in place at ground level after repeated winters and frost heaves.

As Back-of-the-Boiat said: "A picture will do wonders."

OP
OP
X

Xanthenx

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AC18175F-14C6-4533-8E70-468B2130B32E.jpeg

OP
OP
X

Xanthenx

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm what was it there for?

beepbleep

Oct 25, 2019
Jordan's Saline, Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 pieces of metal wire-like material, but much thicker than any wire I have ever seen
It just looks like a regular 8" thick concrete pad with threaded anchor bolts set in for mounting something. One looks cut off. A pump or a light pole maybe, nothing too heavy for that small of a block. A sledgehammer would free up the metal scraps and leave a nice pile of concrete for patching potholes. Wear safety glasses.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Formed & poured concrete block for some type of foundation. Bolts were used to secure whatever was mounted on it. Not real old. Could have been for any various use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread