'Big pieces' of Kilimanjaro 'missing' due to climate crisis, says climber Will Gadd

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the cheap junk isn’t available anymore...less junk will be piling up.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only to a point, what is your carrying capacity?
I think a book was written about such

It won't matter what the carrying capacity is if it is indeed leaking and in deep water (and not sitting in a dessert somewhere. LOL)

The earth can spring "leaks" or get "sick" because of our presence and there's no interstellar coast guard to rescue us that I know of.
3d-science-fiction-illustration-space-600w-1794444148.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also true. Which is why nuclear is the only real current answer, despite the fact it is persona non grata in the US. It’s safe, clean, and efficient.

I feel like I’m looking at the smoldering wreckage of a passenger jet while hearing a survivor say it’s safe,clean, and efficient.

Fukushima is getting ready to dump 1,000,000 tons of radioactive water waste into the seas where our salmon migrate through. Meanwhile they cross their fingers that their 100 foot tall ice curtain doesn’t melt for another 1000 years or however long it takes mankind to invent technology to abate the disaster.

Then there’s the new (second) lead coffin over Russia’s Chernobyl disaster...we are good for another 100 years, at which time we will have had to invented some new technology. We can’t keep encapsulating lead buildings with larger lead buildings every 100 years!

When it goes wrong, it’s really really bad. I think we all know this. Efficient...yes...safe and clean?!

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
IMA, both your examples are quite apparent human mistakes (family site)
no indictment of atomic power, unless you are asserting humans are too stupid to learn - probable
(averages bring it down)

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
I feel like I’m looking at the smoldering wreckage of a passenger jet while hearing a survivor say it’s safe,clean, and efficient.

Fukushima is getting ready to dump 1,000,000 tons of radioactive water waste into the seas where our salmon migrate through. Meanwhile they cross their fingers that their 100 foot tall ice curtain doesn’t melt for another 1000 years or however long it takes mankind to invent technology to abate the disaster.

Then there’s the new (second) lead coffin over Russia’s Chernobyl disaster...we are good for another 100 years, at which time we will have had to invented some new technology. We can’t keep encapsulating lead buildings with larger lead buildings every 100 years!

When it goes wrong, it’s really really bad.

What you are saying is absolutely true. There is the possibility for things to go very very bad, obviously. That being said... every nuclear power incident that has occurred has been preventable. What you never hear mentioned are the times that safety protocols were followed in safe nuclear plants and when incidents occurred the units automatically shut down with no release of radiation. It’s also worth mentioning that we have been studying nuclear energy for less than 100 years and we are absolutely in its infancy. The power plants that have had problems were built less than 30 years after we first harnessed the atom. What makes nuclear energy scary to people is that it’s something they can’t see that poses the risk to them.

You can ask pretty much any energy professional without a political stake and they will tell you the same thing. Based on our current technology and increasing energy demand, nuclear is literally our only option if we, as humans continue on our current trajectory. Solar and Wind just are not efficient l. Even here in California, where we are at the forefront of renewable energy we are just running a greater and greater power deficit all the time. Just wait, if and when, Diablo Canyon shuts down, the real circus begins. We couldn’t install enough solar panels in this state to keep the lights on without buying power from another state.

As a sidebar... last year we had ONE day, the first day ever, where we, as Californians, generated more power than we used. Less than 20% of that came from Wind and Solar. The unfortunate truth is, we cannot have our cake and eat it too. Despite California’s believe otherwise. Sorry I derailed a bit there. Nuclear power is almost TWICE as energy efficient as its next nearest competitor, natural gas. It’s also carbon free. France produces 75% of its power from nuclear. Now they are trying to reduce that to 50% and they are projecting the average annual power bill there for a family to go up €1000 euro a year.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you are saying is absolutely true. There is the possibility for things to go very very bad, obviously. That being said... every nuclear power incident that has occurred has been preventable. What you never hear mentioned are the times that safety protocols were followed in safe nuclear plants and when incidents occurred the units automatically shut down with no release of radiation. It’s also worth mentioning that we have been studying nuclear energy for less than 100 years and we are absolutely in its infancy. The power plants that have had problems were built less than 30 years after we first harnessed the atom. What makes nuclear energy scary to people is that it’s something they can’t see that poses the risk to them.

You can ask pretty much any energy professional without a political stake and they will tell you the same thing. Based on our current technology and increasing energy demand, nuclear is literally our only option if we, as humans continue on our current trajectory. Solar and Wind just are not efficient l. Even here in California, where we are at the forefront of renewable energy we are just running a greater and greater power deficit all the time. Just wait, if and when, Diablo Canyon shuts down, the real circus begins. We couldn’t install enough solar panels in this state to keep the lights on without buying power from another state.

As a sidebar... last year we had ONE day, the first day ever, where we, as Californians, generated more power than we used. Less than 20% of that came from Wind and Solar. The unfortunate truth is, we cannot have our cake and eat it too. Despite California’s believe otherwise. Sorry I derailed a bit there. Nuclear power is almost TWICE as energy efficient as its next nearest competitor, natural gas. It’s also carbon free. France produces 75% of its power from nuclear. Now they are trying to reduce that to 50% and they are projecting the average annual power bill there for a family to go up €1000 euro a year.

Yes preventable...(doesn’t help with all the radioactive waste piling up), but it’s very difficult or impossible to eliminate human nature. We have dictators who’s population live in tents and herd goats for a living that are trying to use nuclear power and make earth destroying nuclear missiles. The technology is likely to MAKE OR BREAK this planet. The risk is huge and very real.

My family has two houses that are off grid...very meager power sources. Very inexpensive components and readily available.
Our problem isn’t a power source...it’s STORAGE of power. The sooner we figure that out, the sooner we move on from using so much of our current sources. Sunlight and fossil fuels are all we need in my opinion. Sunlight is really amazingly powerful when you look at what a 2’x4’ area will power with storage.

It’s kind of like a very small water spring...with plenty of storage you can live and grow things. Without it, it’s nothing but wet.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather powered his house with only gravity...150’ of fall and a car generator dumping into a bank of car batteries that he salvaged from the dump.

Once you start messing with renewable energy you discover that there are huge wasted possibilities everywhere.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nuclear plants are nearly impossible to build here in the U.S. The costs balloon. The workers feel each plant's construction is a lifetime career. Do as little as you can each day to make it last, steal or "disappear" materials. Corruption is so bad, TOP to bottom, the construction is the money maker, not the completion. Money for all. I have now lived in two states, Washington and South Carolina, whose citizens have had to cough up billions and billions of dollars, to bail out bankrupt nuclear projects. To prove it will happen again, no one goes to prison for the thefts. They are made legal through commissions, bonuses, special expense accounts, and numerous offshore accounts ( speculation on my part, but really ). Cost increases and overruns. No accounting, no questioning. When officials are questioned, they simply lie or lie through omission. In a nuclear plant, as has been demonstrated, you just need one person to override the safety systems and voila!

In theory, nuclear is the answer. In reality, until corruption becomes shameful and wrong in the minds of the general population, more nuclear is dead in America. It's like a mice infestation, they will eat or despoil all of the grain, long before it becomes a loaf of bread.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuclear, wind, oil, tidal, water...pfft...a pebble in the ocean compared to solar power. Solar is the most promising and viable future for power, bar none. The key is to eliminate the need to store the energy, thus needing costly batteries and their toxic materials and rare earth elements. Solar can also be captured without using conventional solar cells, such as focusing a beam to heat water which in turn powers a steam powered turbine generator.

We need a globalized linked grid, so that as one area of the earth is in darkness, the other side it's daytime. Even if some areas are cloud covered, there is still a gross abundance of energy each and every hour to power the earth.

Consider this: Each HOUR 430,000,000,000,000,000,000 (430 quintillion) Joules of energy from the sun hits the earth.

In contrast, ALL humans combined use 410 quintillion Joules in a year.

We receive more energy from the sun in 1 hour then humans use all year....

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes preventable...(doesn’t help with all the radioactive waste piling up), but it’s very difficult or impossible to eliminate human nature. We have dictators who’s population live in tents and herd goats for a living that are trying to use nuclear power and make earth destroying nuclear missiles. The technology is likely to MAKE OR BREAK this planet. The risk is huge and very real.

My family has two houses that are off grid...very meager power sources. Very inexpensive components and readily available.
Our problem isn’t a power source...it’s STORAGE of power. The sooner we figure that out, the sooner we move on from using so much of our current sources. Sunlight and fossil fuels are all we need in my opinion. Sunlight is really amazingly powerful when you look at what a 2’x4’ area will power with storage.

It’s kind of like a very small water spring...with plenty of storage you can live and grow things. Without it, it’s nothing but wet.

In order to manufacture the solar panel, we start with multiple open pit mines, scattered around the globe, depending on which element or mineral we need. We need enormous diesel powered equipment to extract the ore, and smelters to refine it. The materials need to be transported to points of manufacture. Acres and acres needed to be scraped clean, and filled in ( most new plants globally are built on newly filled wetlands ) the high and dry having long been claimed. This wipes out the small, normally unseen, insignificant creatures, amphibians, rare plant species, etc. Toxic chemicals and gases are used and produced during manufacture, which mostly occurs in places like Malaysia, and the Phillippines, where environmental inspections can easily be distracted by cash. Then we have final shipments. Lets not forget the back story for lead acid batteries, most commonly used for storage of home solar.

Solar is really neat. All of the bad stuff happens in someone else's backyard.

Wind power, same story, not considering the bird kills, and induced madness from the sound.

We are in an interglacial period, between ice advances. The normal state for the earth has been much warmer than we are. Are we contributing to warming? Likely. Without human produced "Greenhouse gases" would the planet get very warm? Yes.
If we had far fewer people, would things be better? Yes. Currently a work in progress.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add, though solar may someday solve all our energy needs, it won't compensate for our greed, entitlement, consumption and over population which will no doubt lead to our own self destruction in short order.

Think of this, if Hitler had come about during the 60's or 70's, we'd all already be wiped out. It's just what narcissists do. If they can't have it all, then nobody can is their mantra. Hitler at the end of World War II when he was in retreat, ordered all men, woman and children to fight to the last man. If he had come about 20-30 years later, he would have had nukes and assured mutual destruction would have ensued.

Think of how on a micro level so many commit murder-suicide. As their thinking so often goes, if i can't have my wife(because she's leaving me), i'll kill her, the kids and myself too. It only takes ONE dictator wannabee with sufficient nukes to feel the same way and end it all, surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Won't be long...buckle up.

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray...madness from the sound ? Apparently you have never been around a windmill. You have a better chance of going mad from listening to the threshold of your detector..

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuclear plants are nearly impossible to build here in the U.S. The costs balloon. The workers feel each plant's construction is a lifetime career. Do as little as you can each day to make it last, steal or "disappear" materials. Corruption is so bad, TOP to bottom, the construction is the money maker, not the completion. Money for all. I have now lived in two states, Washington and South Carolina, whose citizens have had to cough up billions and billions of dollars, to bail out bankrupt nuclear projects. To prove it will happen again, no one goes to prison for the thefts. They are made legal through commissions, bonuses, special expense accounts, and numerous offshore accounts ( speculation on my part, but really ). Cost increases and overruns. No accounting, no questioning. When officials are questioned, they simply lie or lie through omission. In a nuclear plant, as has been demonstrated, you just need one person to override the safety systems and voila!

In theory, nuclear is the answer. In reality, until corruption becomes shameful and wrong in the minds of the general population, more nuclear is dead in America. It's like a mice infestation, they will eat or despoil all of the grain, long before it becomes a loaf of bread.

Of course everything we have comes from the earth. Solar panels will be recycled.
Lead acid batteries...currently 99% are recycled and kept out of landfills..really an amazing success story. Without lead acid batteries, I’m not sure where we would be now...

Recycling dramatically cuts down on the environmental impact of mining.
Without mining we wouldn’t be living such comfortable long lives.

I support recycling and mining.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how many have the rights to a 150' drop, plus the water?
you are fortunate, why preach?

I don’t feel I’m preaching, but if you really feel that way, I apologize.
Just trying to convey that there is so much wasted energy all around us.

A local city in my area, they get their water from springs high up on the slopes of a large mountain. The water pipe is 12” in diameter. The water rushes through it so quickly that when you are standing near it, it sounds like a jet turbine. Their “problem” is too much pressure...gee what a problem to have. They have never thought of making power to get rid of pressure. So it’s wasted energy.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray...madness from the sound ? Apparently you have never been around a windmill. You have a better chance of going mad from listening to the threshold of your detector..

Do you live within, say, a quarter mile of a wind farm? If not, don't dismiss the annoyance levels.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother Nature is pretty good at storing energy.
B0D925AC-2610-49AC-A15E-4B60B1EAA686.jpeg

If only I could store that energy to use later!
The energy that brush throws off in 7 days is incredible.

Today I salvaged a little energy. Happened to be in a convenient form to store.
DC7466D9-CAF6-4600-8784-7DE0BFEF0985.jpeg
Equivalent to approx. 35 gallons of diesel, with the majority being wasted out the chimney.
If I didn't cut and burn this now, it would burn during a wildfire.

I can't imagine how much energy is wasted uncontrollably during a wildfire.
If only we could store that energy in a clean way.

Our forests are undeniably overgrown from 100 years of misdirected fire prevention efforts.
What a problem to have (too much fuel).

Fire is an element of nature right up there with wind, rain, and sun.
Crazy we have tried to eliminate it instead of harnessing it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread