'Big pieces' of Kilimanjaro 'missing' due to climate crisis, says climber Will Gadd

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that your nephew is a fast climber.... glacial retreat is accelerating all across the planet.
Kilimanjaro_Africa_1993.jpg Kilimanjaro_Africa_2000.jpg
Kilimanjaro in 1993 and 2000 from the Landsat 5 and Landsat 7 satellites, respectively (Photo credit: Jim Williams, NASA GSFC Scientific Visualization Studio and the Landsat 7 Science Team.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the glaciers melt they're finding lots of artifacts. This just goes to show the glaciers weren't always there and they forced people out when they grew. They come and they go. Gary

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
As the glaciers melt they're finding lots of artifacts. This just goes to show the glaciers weren't always there and they forced people out when they grew. They come and they go. Gary

They come and go about every 7000-9000 years or so.. maybe more for those dating back to the Stone Age. No big deal that they are melting at an alarming rate. Kilimanjaro ice is only 11,700 years old.

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps we should try convincing the people of Courmayeur, Italy that the melting glaciers aren’t a big deal. They’ve had to evacuate their homes and businesses when a 500,000 cubic meter chunk of the Planpincieux glacier was threatening to break off and come crashing through town. We won’t have a chance to convince the couple who were killed by a debris slide there in 2018. Or maybe we should try to convince the 800 hundred million or so people who rely on the reliable, seasonal runoff from Himalayan glaciers that it’s not a big deal. They depend upon that reliable flow for drinking water, hydroelectric power, and irrigation of agricultural fields. When the spigots start dwindling and turning off in the coming decades, they’re going to know that it’s a pretty big deal. Or perhaps we should try convincing the 120,000 people of Kirbati that it’s not a big deal that their atolls are disappearing because of sea level rise. Or maybe we should try convincing the people of coastal communities who are being relocated right now that accelerating glacial loss and sea level rise aren’t big deals. Or perhaps not. Perhaps we should listen to the >99% of scientists and climatologists and take meaningful actions to slow the negative impacts that are being caused by climate change right now.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
have fewer/no children?
or we are to shed endless tears for those who have children with no way to support?

I do not care, burnt out feeding African children

I understand that the slave markets have returned to Libya?
Thanks to the Europeans and Americans, just something else to be PROUD of

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
and am compelled to comment on "mountains sliding down"
if one lives in an area of lesser rainfall it is possible to view mountains as somewhat static, but only on a human scale
in the tropics one can easily observe the mountains being washed to the sea, literally
as humans, this erosion is totally out of our control - ****** a bit here and there at best
ocean levels changing and humans are going to affect such?

But yet another excuse to create fear and institute more control.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
and am compelled to comment on "mountains sliding down"
if one lives in an area of lesser rainfall it is possible to view mountains as somewhat static, but only on a human scale
in the tropics one can easily observe the mountains being washed to the sea, literally
as humans, this erosion is totally out of our control - ****** a bit here and there at best

But yet another excuse to create fear and institute more control.

In my way of thinking , creating fear is far different than making the ignorant aware.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have fewer/no children?......

Now this takes us into birth control and sex education.
Ignorant, narrow minded self righteous groups have actively pushed to reduce coverage for birth control and sex education even though it helps people take control of their lives.

Yes, I agree with your assesement.
The climate decline is now being measured in years and decades, not over centuries and millennia.
Denying the unprecedented rate at which it is happening doesn't make it go away.

For the doubters out there, what organism doesn't affect the microcosm in which it lives?
The more "pigs" that are on a farm, the faster the "manure" builds up and we can't increase the size of our blue "farm". So we do need to manage our resources and minimize our byproducts. It's wrong to pass it to our kids.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, and where does that awareness lead?
hopefully not to rail against the inevitable

The real question is, where the lack of concern will lead.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I can remember when we use to have scientist. Now everyone is a scientist and an expert at that. I must be the last dummy on earth.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
to exactly the same point, I submit
humans can't control their own gonads, let alone......
remember, self-interest (greed) rules

few noble leaders, let me think of one

If you were told that it was inevitable that a boulder was going to drop on your head unless you did something, what would you do? Noting and get smashed or move out of the way?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Yep everyone is an expert. lol I'm surrounded by geniuses Me! The last dummy on earth. Nee to move on to more productive endeavors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread