Roman Amphoras or Replica?

Raubgräber

Greenie
Sep 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I got the offer to buy these ancient looking amphoras for about $90:
pottery.jpg

Is it possible for anyone to tell if they are replicas or not? Would be great! Even though I'm quite sure they must be replicas...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Undoubtedly replicas. Hundreds of them for sale on fleabay... some actually artificially aged in the sea for a coupe of years. No-one who knows anything at all about antiquities, or who spends a few minutes on Google checking prices for the real thing, would sell you four authentic ones for $90. Even many of the modern replicas sold for home decor are well above that kind of price.

If they were real, unless there is provenance to demonstrate they were legally obtained and predate the antiquity laws that most Mediterranean countries now have in place, they might well be seized... depending on how they are sent and where from.

OP
OP
R

Raubgräber

Greenie
Sep 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Undoubtedly replicas. Hundreds of them for sale on fleabay... some actually artificially aged in the sea for a coupe of years. No-one who knows anything at all about antiquities, or who spends a few minutes on Google checking prices for the real thing, would sell you four authentic ones for $90. Even many of the modern replicas sold for home decor are well above that kind of price.

If they were real, unless there is provenance to demonstrate they were legally obtained and predate the antiquity laws that most Mediterranean countries now have in place, they might well be seized... depending on how they are sent and where from.

That's very helpful, thank you!
The seller definitely has no idea what he sells, I also thought $90 would be a good price even for replicas so I might buy it anyway...
It's a private german sale from a guy who got the amphoras from the estate/heritage (not sure what's the correct word) of a woman who used to travel to the Philippines, that's all I know.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions