How to start

leisenming

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

As the title states - How do I start?

My interests are - gold prospecting and finding old coins and relics. I live in Fremont, CA.

I dont want to spend a ton of money on a high end detector, then find I am not that interested in prospecting. Given this, how should I start? Should I buy a second hand or cheap detector, hit a few sites and see how it goes? If so, which detectors, models, makes etc? Which sites to hit - what and where do I research?

If there any existing materials for new entrants like me, please point.

Thanks

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a wonderful hobby.
If you can find a local detector or prospecting shop that might be a good start.
They can also probably let you know about the local club(s) which are usually full of great people with even better advice.
Good luck and happy hunting!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . ... . . .:hello:

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are looking for gold and relics, you will have to drive inland towards Sacramento and beyond. I have panned for gold along the North Yuba River with some success. You can do some homework on gold rush era towns that flourished in the 1800's and possibly find some places that might yield relics. As far as a detector is concerned, you can usually find used detectors on this website along with a few others. Some commercial dealers also advertise used detectors. Do your homework though. There are a lot of different kinds of detectors out there. You can get great advice on this site. Good luck to you in your search! I live in San Jose, CA and would be more than willing to give some more advice...

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you won't have to spend much to get started , a garret gold pan and a promising creek will keep you busy .
as far as detectors go at least save up enough money to by a brand name machine like a garret or fisher.
a new machine will come with a warranty which is important unless you can do electronics repairs.
you don't want to spend your hard earned money on a used machine to find out it is broken.
Buy a new machine from one of the vendors found on this website and it won't be a Chinese counterfeit , just look at the reviews and you'll see who's doing it right.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello! First, there is not a machine on the market today that will hunt coins, jewelry, and gold nuggets for under $600.00 The closest is a Minelab Equinox 800 3720-0002 | Minelab Equinox 800 | Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

The fisher Gold Bug is great for gold nuggets, but is terrible on the beach, and too sensitive for park and field hunting http://www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/metal-detector-fisher/fisher-gold-bug

Do your research. You'll need to join a prospecting club to get access to claims, or risk trespassing or jumping someone else's claim. "Nuggetshooting," is THE hardest form of metal detecting, and the most expensive, with saltwater beach detecting right behind it.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice from all. You live in a area where there are at least two different clubs. One is The Mt. Diablo Metal detectors. Or something similar. And the other is The Santa Clara detectors. I can’t remember the exact names . They are or were very active clubs. I know they used to have open hunts. There used to be a very good dealer close to you, he is still open I would imagine. Just start googling them and you will find out. Terry is correct on the Equinox.
If you are considering going over to Santa Cruz the best time is evening after most leave the beach.
I’m sure there are many parks in Fremont and surrounding areas. As for looking up Gold camps most of the motherload areas along Hwy 49 are private property. I can tell you from experience that if you go on BLM land in Calaveras or Amador county you should be armed and not by yourself because of Pot growers and meth cookers.
There are many top notch detectors in the Bay Area, a lot of them use Minelab machines.
Good luck and Happy hunting!

OP
OP
L

leisenming

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Thanks much for the feedback. Let me digest and follow up on the great suggestions.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Thanks much for the feedback. Let me digest and follow up on the great suggestions.

One thing you need to remember is this state doesn't have the older coins like you see found on the East coast and people have been detecting for years, so it won't be easy, go into this with that in mind, it will be hard but it will also make finding something older all that much more special. Also if you end up going prospecting you need to make sure you are not on someone's claim, there is public land out there but it is hit hard, so it's very hard to find anything. Not trying to discourage you, but there will be challenges ahead of you. You need to go into this as a hobby.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

As the title states - How do I start?

My interests are - gold prospecting and finding old coins and relics. I live in Fremont, CA.

I dont want to spend a ton of money on a high end detector, then find I am not that interested in prospecting. Given this, how should I start? Should I buy a second hand or cheap detector, hit a few sites and see how it goes? If so, which detectors, models, makes etc? Which sites to hit - what and where do I research?

If there any existing materials for new entrants like me, please point.

Thanks
One of if not THE best all around machine to do nuggets, relics and coins would be the MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

Feel free to call me and we can go over it and several others it might be a great option for you. Be more than happy to go over all of it with you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread