How much time do you detect a place before

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I run out of detectors to hit it with. And I’m always seeming to be getting a new one.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting a site since 1972 and still find items I had missed before.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, for me it takes years. After all the briar patches, next to the road, in any aluminum can breeding ground, under power lines, at the edge of swamps and in creeks, it all takes time - plus if the place is farmed, and plowed or deep disced, you may NEVER get done!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
over 5 decades and still going, and finding.
no site is hunted out

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longest is 4 years and counting. Its where I started detecting. My best finds have come out of it last 2 years. And I wasnt the first to hit it.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i REALIZE NO SITE IS EVER COMPLETELY HUNTED OUT.bUT SPENDING 5 OR 6 HOURS FOR A INDIAN HEAD MAKES ME DRAW THE LINE

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER! I have returned many times to many sites and I still find good finds! At one site almost every time I return, and I have been hunting it for about 50 years, I almost always find silver. I will never write it off.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never hunted out - Thats what you want other guys to think.

Going slower, different angles, different detectors, different settings/mode, spotty weak signals, can each or all produce finds that you and others have gone over a dozen times and missed ,, And they don't necessarily have to be super deep, or deep at all. For instance, a coin on edge 2" down can be all but hidden to the returns of most coils.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never give up on a spot, but I will take a break from it. My rule is three hunts in a row getting skunked and I'll avoid that spot for a couple of months. Easy to get sick of a spot if you push it too much and keep coming up empty.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also A lot depends on how well ypou searched in the previous times.I go slow and cover a half coil on every swing both ways. Then i take a step of about 1/2 coil length. I have seen many swing one way and then take a giant step missing a lot of ground.
A lot depends on how you swing a coil and then move

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's always potential at a 'hunted out' site, so I have no problem returning esecially years later after several freeze/thaw cycles.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I have a really good site, depending on the size, I detect the surface area right away multiple days and then sift /detect down to about 3-4 feet depending on finds. That is only the beginning. Then I go out in all directions and sift for days if it's a really good site. Every square yard gets cleaned out and filled back in. It's truly amazing what the detectors don't get. Only then do I start to consider a site to begin to get cleaned out.:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread