If you operated a Metal Detecting shop, would you lock the door an go detecting?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had nobody to run the store while you wanted to go detecting, you would have to lock the door and lose sales that day. You wouldn't find near as much as the profit of one sale would make.

Would you still do it?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Re: If you operated a Metal Detecting shop, would you lock the door an go detect

I guess it would all depend on my financial situation. As it stands for me now-in a heartbeat...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first thoiught about Opening a Shop I thought it was a Great Idea.

Then I thought the same. I wouldn't have time & would have to hire Non Detectorists
to Run it. Which wouldn't Make Sense for Good Buisness Practice.

Then I thought Even if I would, I wouldn't sell Minelab Because I don't need any more
in my area.

Then I thought, Why sell Detectors, The more that have them,
the Less new areas I'd Find to Detect & the more chance of
some doing Wrong & you know where that leads.

So the Only way I would even open a Shop would be
IF I were Disabled to the Point of Not being able to do it at all
any more.

Sort of like
The "Those who Can do, Those who Can't Teach" Approach.

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
Re: If you operated a Metal Detecting shop, would you lock the door an go detect

Sounds like an adjustment of the "hours of operation" are in order. Would be fun, just think you would have the opportunity to research new products, talk to others in the hobby, promote good will and take in lots of used detectors.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id own every md there is,hire an imployee,cause its feast or famine probably

This happened to me, but I was the employee and used my discount to empty the store. Boss would come in and be very happy she had all them sales. Best part was I could borrow what ever I wanted to "field test."

I too went through what Jeff described on thinking of opening a store. My boss would get totally pissed at me if I helped a customer with using their detector if they hadn't bought it from her. Guys would come in to learn about a machine and leave to order it mail order thinking they'd get a better price. Ever notice all the prices are the same?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was a dealer for a while but the only detectors I sold local were to friends! :D

So yes, I would definitely close up shop to hunt.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Sort of like
The "Those who Can do, Those who Can't Teach" Approach.

Hey! I CAN and I DO--but I ALSO teach! ;)

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
If I were married, I'd keep the detector in the truck......tell (oops, ask) the wife to mind the shop because you had to go for supplies...& go hit the site.

If I wasn't married.....I'd get married, then go back to the top of the page ;)

Smitty

K

Kentucky Kache

IndianaSmith said:
If I were married, I'd keep the detector in the truck......tell (oops, ask) the wife to mind the shop because you had to go for supplies...& go hit the site.

Smitty

Once married, there goes detecting. Might as well stay in the shop.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
A couple of old friends of mine who died in their late 80's operated a metal detector sales biz in the 80's and mid-90's. Every year they went to both Arizona to hunt nuggets and to Alaska to do the same. They took their 5th wheel with them and sold more Compasses and Tesoros than they did at their shop at home in Salem, Oregon. The Compasses were the King of nugget hunting then, bar none. Even now, a Fisher GoldBug 2 which is the most popular nugget detector sold has no better depth on fine gold than my Compass GoldScanner Pro or my Compass R&C does right this very moment. I've matched them against each other.

Those two friends used their "spare change" found with metal detectors to finance both trips. I was the person who repaired their detectors for them because it was nearly impossible to find anyone else to do it, and besides, it was pretty easy to do it back then.

They were A nice old couple, and they affored a very nice 2000 ft 4-bdrm house too, and neither of them had any other income.

I would say "take the job with you", just like those two very good old friends of mine did.

Their company name was "Morely Interprizes".

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hmmmm. Even if financially it was doable, I wouldn't close the shop to do it, MAYBE if there was a super hotspot that I got access too, I mean a REALLY good one. I'm just too focused on customer service.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
jbot said:
IndianaSmith said:

Smitty

But you wouldn't be going "detecting".......you'd be "going for supplies" ;)

Smitty

K

Kentucky Kache

IndianaSmith said:
jbot said:
IndianaSmith said:

Smitty

But you wouldn't be going "detecting".......you'd be "going for supplies" ;)

Smitty

I hear you. And that car just keeps breaking down at the most inopportune times.

midnightcaller said:
Get some vending machines all the costumer has to do would be to put his credit card in the machine and get the detector..

I've never imagined a vending machine for metal detectors. If you didn't have a card I wonder how many quarters that would take. :D

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

that would be a hard decision, I own my own business, and when I'm not there it seems like nothing gets done, but, you have to have some time to just say (I'm going to close for the day and enjoy life, watch the clouds go drifting pass (shadows on the ground) smell the fresh cut grass from down the road, the apple blossoms from next door, the mimosa tree from across the street, and try to find that 1848 walker) remember the good lord wants you to enjoy life too so take a break and have fun, later Sniffer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread