OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would take the time to examine every item, before handing them to anyone. Any good stuff may disappear. Know what you have before contacting professional. Some of those papers may sell for hundreds. Each.

This was my thoughts exactly. I’ve bought page protectors (but clearly going to need a lot more) and plan on trying to sort everything and take only what could be important pieces.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, what a find
donate to the local library town historical society
they may still belong to the previous homeowners
Brady

From what I’ve found out so far is that the home owner died in the 40s and buried at his church cemetery. the place had been empty ever since he died and He left everything he had to the same church where he was buried. so I’m assuming he didn’t have any family or they weren’t on good terms.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some fantastic looking documents. Your going to have some fun!!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
@Ryanblood1, wow nice save. im interested in the Pugh documents
as i have a family line of Pugh from ga. & nc. , sc. , va.
screenshot of part of doc#2 in your post

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 9.03.14 PM.png

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ought to be pored over carefully to see if there is anything there of high historical significance. Just never know. Interesting nonetheless and should be saved.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar save!

10th photo. Could the Elijah Clarke be this fellow...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_Clarke

I’d say so, and that’s pretty cool. He’s got a County and State Park named after him.

Same photo, other document... a Capt. Jacob Colson appears here...

http://genealogytrails.com/geo/military/rev_officers.html

Last document photo... hard to read... didn’t see a date, but James Wright was Governor of Georgia during the period of some of the documents...

https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/government-politics/james-wright-1716-1785

Clement Crooke and Elizabeth Tannatt from the 1756 document with the red wax seal are mentioned here...

http://www.thepeerage.com/p63355.htm

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took another look at the document in the last photo and the date is 1761 and mentions King George the Third, so James Wright was the Governor.

Again, great find and save!

As as for the documents related to slave ownership, you might consider donating those to Spelman College or one of the other historically black colleges and universities. That’s what I’d do... donate those.

For the other documents, I’d have a lot of fun transcribing them and determining historical significance and then I’d decide what should be done with them.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy am I jealous.

Here in New Orleans we have something called the "Williams Research Center" which has thousands of documents like that, which are catalogued and preserved. The public is welcome to peruse, with gloves. The documents and letters are a fascinating peek into history.

The Villars/Dubreuil collection (my family) is the largest collection and was saved by someone who had the documents, whose children didn't want them, and was going to throw them in the trash. Luckily, she contacted the Research Center and they were saved.

I cried when I read one particular letter written by an ancestor to his son who was stationed in Haiti in the 1700's, after the loss of his wife. It was incredible to me to hold those documents in my hands.

It would be a wonderful service for you to find a situation like that for your documents.

Beware though; my great grandfather once bought a painting to the Cabildo in New Orleans to get information and have it appraised. When he went back to get it, no one had any knowledge of it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like this can change history! Pictures of important documents can be emailed to the rare documents person at ha.com Heritage auctions house. They love seeing it and will be happy to appraise and Sell (id desired) anything they find valuable. Good luck to you. What an incredible save. I would not sleep for two weeks reading these

OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar save!

10th photo. Could the Elijah Clarke be this fellow...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_Clarke

I’d say so, and that’s pretty cool. He’s got a County and State Park named after him.

Same photo, other document... a Capt. Jacob Colson appears here...

Revolutionary Officers. Georgia

Last document photo... hard to read... didn’t see a date, but James Wright was Governor of Georgia during the period of some of the documents...

https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/government-politics/james-wright-1716-1785

Clement Crooke and Elizabeth Tannatt from the 1756 document with the red wax seal are mentioned here...

Person Page

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Wow awesome!! Thanks. I really appreciate the help!!

OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This document is very interesting!! From a Capt to governor Mathews, oct 22 1795. You don’t ever see or hear much about the things that go on between government officials when the fighting stops. It’s hard to imagine this was written by a candle with a damn feather and there’s not a word crossed out or any mistakes. Plus with no internet or UPS next day shipping. I can only imagine what they would think of all of us.

In the first picture under the date, Can anyone make out what those numbers are about? I hope it’s some sort of code. That would be pretty cool
BE228CE4-2B11-4120-8C92-F810EEA2B52D.jpeg
576802D4-1AF6-4B4E-B2F1-7EB4BA228110.jpeg
7E4EDBD8-93FA-4AC9-B7EB-3D9105D4C510.jpeg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This document is very interesting!!

In the first picture under the date, Can anyone make out what those numbers are about? I hope it’s some sort of code. That would be pretty cool
View attachment 1875991

I have deciphered the code. It reads:

12 1/2

37 1/2
6 1/4
43 3/4

I'd say that either they did simple math on the paper like I do all the time with my papers, or it's the depth to the treasure in the Money Pit on Oak Island (in fathoms of course). I'm going with the Money Pit hypothesis...

To the right of the Oak Island treasure depth are some additional numbers:

If you add those three numbers, it equals 23, which is my IQ (on a good day).

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have deciphered the code. It reads:

12 1/2

37 1/2
6 1/4
43 3/4

I'd say that either they did simple math on the paper like I do all the time with my papers, or it's the depth to the treasure in the Money Pit on Oak Island (in fathoms of course). I'm going with the Money Pit hypothesis...

To the right of the Oak Island treasure depth are some additional numbers:

If you add those three numbers, it equals 23, which is my IQ (on a good day).

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Hahahahaha I like where your heads at. If your IQ is 23 then there’s No telling what my IQ is cause I had the urge to watch that movie National Treasure.

OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This helps a lot. My plan is get everything roughly sorted until I get some art portfolio books to put them in. I Greatly appreciate it!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ryanblood1

Oct 4, 2020
Thomaston GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow!! I just read about the land treaties and one of the counties (Effingham) is where my old family farm is located. I know my great great grand dad lived there Is whole life and was buried there in 1870s. It would be very strange if that Property Was in my family due to this treaty. Research time! Thanks again

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahahaha I like where your heads at. If your IQ is 23 then there’s No telling what my IQ is cause I had the urge to watch that movie National Treasure.

You don’t need lemon juice and a hair dryer like Nicholas Cage. You’ve already found a treasure. However, an intelligent, beautiful woman to help you with the documents would be a plus...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! From a philatelic point of view please preserve all envelopes and accompanying stamps, with the find date range there could be some really valuable stuff there.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryan, i dont know if this will get you closer to how your 2G grand dad
got his land in Effingham. but was a fun diversion this morn thank you
for posting your interesting find. later in the week im going to look
into the docs in your 1st post

pg 63. says in the will Solomon Pendleton (1751-1787), he left the land in
Chatham and Effingham Counties to brothers and friends

Brian Pendleton and His Descendants, 1599-1910
https://books.google.com/books?id=2WQGAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA53&pg=PA63#v=onepage&q=Solomon &f=true

pg 60.Solomon is the son of Edmund jr. #65
https://books.google.com/books?id=2WQGAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA53&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q=Solomon &f=true

where i found the info on Solomon, by searching the Pine Barrens Fraud
info on how Solomon got the land and a map scroll down for Description
https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/de...eorgia-pine-barrens-fraud-land-sur-pendleton#

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread