My Classic car insurance covers stupidity!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I start let me say that the following pictures may make some car enthusiasts sick, so view at your own discretion! About a week ago I was working in my shop and thought I could accomplish my task without moving my GTO outside. I was wrong. Somehow, I managed to scratch the driver's side rear fender down to the metal. With our annual car show coming up today, I ran the car over to my body shop to see if they could touch it up. Imagine my surprise when they said it couldn't be "touched up", they would have to blend from the front fender back to the rear bumper and over the trunk to the other side quarter panel. They gave me a $1500.00 estimate and said they couldn't get to it for a couple weeks.
I called Hagerty insurance co. and the agent was very helpful. After explaining what I did he said no problem. I had to send them a picture of the damage along with the estimate and they agreed to cover the repairs 100%! I should be getting a check in a few days.
I went to the car show today and put a bandaid over the scratch!

Attachments

• scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0452.jpg
    DSC_0452.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 87

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That scratch reminds me of when a friend had just picked up his mail and kinda pop the clutch and ended up with something very similar. That is a beautiful machine.
Did you get hurricane aftermath there? Is carter mountain president Jimmys or his brother Billys? Ha joke... Ive grown tired of all out winter. NOS Pontiac's are sounding more fun than desert arrowheads and I’ll dtill do that.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hurricane problems yet! But, the one in the Gulf now may come toward us later in the week. I like to look for "rocks" too.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend had a van that we went to van shows with and it was all tricked out, he even had a trailer that was made from the same year van that was from the cab back. Well right before a big van convention we detailed everything up and were getting ready to take off when we hear that scraping sound of metal on metal and we go in the yard to see what it was and one of his toddlers comes walking by carrying a yard rake over his shoulder YES 5 tines metal deep scratches down both of his vans. His wife had to grab the kid and I had to grab her husband. Those were his pride and joys and I don't mean the wife and kid.So I know your pain.

Bigwilliy

Sep 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a GM fan but got to say the 66-67 Gto was a sharp car. Is that a 389?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve always liked the goats of every year. The closest I came was the “poor man’s” GTO year 1971 GT. Blue w/white stripe down the side with Endura ‘rubber’ front end. 350 three speed on the floor. The dealer sold three in my town. I bought mine used from a friend in 1982, at that time I knew of a copper-colored one. Have not seen another in almost 40 years.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking car. A GTO is my dream car. I had a 1977 1/2 Z-28 back in the early 80's that I use to put into car shows. I feel your pain about the scratch, but it sounds like its all going to work out (minus the aggravation) !

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful car. I'm sure the scratch made you want to puke

LilB

Jul 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your car is gorgeous, I can only dream of one. I just can't imagine your pain. But maybe it was a sign to change your insurance? A car like this should have better insurance that will always help. I make a little money, and a year ago I saved up and bought an SUV, and a friend advised me to get it insured with Money Expert. I am thankful for my friend's advice because they provide all kinds of services and take into account all the nuances. I trusted them so much that now with their help I have my house, car, and my health insured. They were attentive to my problems that happened, and I hope that they will not let me down in the future.

Last edited:

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'am glad everything worked out for you. I always liked Pontiacs. I had a 1967 & 1968 Firebird. I wish I still had them.

targa911

Greenie
Jul 18, 2021
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so sad! If it would help I have room for the GTO (Gran Turismo Omologato) (grand touring car) (for the admirers who didn't take Italian in school) next to my Targa. For the summer and fall at least! Beautiful color!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
LilB. Did you even read the post? His company did him right, not wrong.

FYI. This damage is covered under "other than collision" or "comprehensive" coverage part of the physical damage coverage or damage to your auto.

A little research will show you that comprehensive really is just that (very comprehensive!) and also that every auto policy that covers physical damage coverage would apply to this loss scenario. Hagerty's classic car policy has no deductible for physical damage coverage unlike most daily driver policies that do have a deductible. Also, the Hagerty policy is based on true replacement cost coverage and your daily driver policy is based on ACV. (actual cash value which means replacement cost minus depreciation)
Insurance...I know a little... !

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize to everyone that replied to this post. I completely forgot about it the new replies that came today. The story on my car took a turn for the worse. I put it in the shop that gave me the original estimate and they kept it for four months, then called me and said they couldn't do the job! I was disappointed to say the least but I picked up my car and took it to another shop. They told me that the whole car would have to be stripped because there was a problem with top coat adhering to the primer. New estimate was $12,000! I called my insurance company and, long story short, they denied the additional cost because defective paint jobs are not covered. Since I don't have an extra $10,500 laying around I brought the car home and put it i my shop where it sat until about a month ago. I decided I couldn't hurt it anymore than it already was so I spot sanded the scratch and two other small blemishes and hit them with a little primer. I have been sanding and priming on the spots off and on for the last month and am just about ready to put some color on them. I have some of the original paint that I will apply using an air brush gun. Then, I will have to color sand and buff the spots out.Hopefully they will blend well enough to get me by until I win the lottery.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that,s a beautiful GTO,I had a 1970 Ram Air IV 400,4 speed,Bermuda Blue,a real light metallic blue.Had the Judge type stripe,but not a Judge.I really wish I,d kept that car.Your,s is gorgeous.Don,t let it get away!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont like how it turns out, a good vinyl wrap by a good shop is another option to consider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread