Looking for PhD Archaeologists/Anthropologists/Historians?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Looking for PhD Archaeologists/Anthropologists/Historians?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2019
    PA
    86 times
    Document research, map reading

Looking for PhD Archaeologists/Anthropologists/Historians?

Last month I reached out to my local University History PhD by email asking for an opportunity to present some evidence from a research project that I’ve been actively and continually researching over the last 16 years.

Based upon the general explanation that I provided in my initial email to him, he told me that he would be happy to get together and sit down with me and allow me to present the evidence that I was willing to show him. He then replied to me asking for more specific information so that he as an observer could properly prepare himself with background information to properly evaluate the information and evidence.

Once I supplied him with this more detailed information, he replied to me in parts as follows:

“Thanks for your response and your elaborate explanation of what it is that you have been so diligently researching over the past many years. There is no doubt in my mind that you have a neat project here and I'm pleased that you are so invested in it.*“

Followed up with.....

“I was initially intrigued by your email because I thought perhaps it was a local site/history project that I would be able to professionally help you understand more about or provide an evaluation of your work.”

Continued with......

“I'm sure it would be a great presentation to witness, but I would be hardly any better than any other lay person on this topic. For that I do not believe I would be able to give you an honest evaluation of what you have. For all the work you've put in, you certainly deserve someone who can give you that honest and frank evaluation.”

And he concluded with......

“My best recommendation would be to contact and bring this evidence to an archaeologist or anthropologist. While you are doing history here, historians don't typically deal with this type of explorative work. That isn't to say we shouldn't be doing it, maybe historians need to take a greater role in projects like these in the future, but at the moment it isn't really the purview of historians.”

The Tnet community has proven to be a very wide and diverse community, including all walks of life and occupations. Is there any PhD Historians/Archaeologists/Anthropologist within this community? And if so, who are they?

Direct messages are welcome.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    15561 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Begs the questions: What and where is the project you are working on and what is your objective (goal)?
    Don.....
    Noah_D, Rebel - KGC, RGINN and 2 others like this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5398 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd contact Richard M. Gramly, (Mike) PhD. He's in MA and shouldn't be too hard to find on the net. He's pretty famous. Gary
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Apr 2019
    PA
    86 times
    Much appreciated toddspoint, that’s a great candidate, and a good place to start. Let’s keep these names coming.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    8185 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Don't have to give it all away, but sounds like it would be interesting to hear maybe a brief overview of your project. Wishing you good luck!
    Honest Samuel likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    14193 times
    Metal Detecting
    Is the site in PA, or the USA? Do you own the property and have control of the site?

If it is in the United States here is a e-mail address to report it and receive instructions.

nps_chiefarcheologist@nps.gov
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    1592 times
    This post is useless without some background....
    tinpan likes this.
    Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

us
    Apr 2019
    PA
    86 times
    16 years ago I started into documentation research concerning a specific treasure hunting topic. 11 years ago using this documentation research evidence, I was able to locate the exact site that I was originally looking for. After finding the site, the calculus of how I can research the site changed moving forward, because I was now not looking for a hypothetical site, but rather looking outward from it. The evidence clearly shows that the site has excessively more historical and anthropological value as an unrealized Native American occupation site, than has for its perceived treasure hunting value as a site.

I’m attempting to use this thread to essentially crowd-source the Tnet community for potentially qualified people to evaluate my project, process, methodology, and if they agree with my conclusions, the site itself.

If you were in my shoes, you would reasonably understand why discussing the details publicly would be hazardous to the site. I want to give the Academic Community the first opportunity evaluating the currently unmolested site. I don’t want to make detailed claims publicly until they’ve had this opportunity. So if you know a qualified Archaeologist/Anthropologist that I can reach out to, feel free to Direct Message me their name and/or contact info.

Happy hunting!
    KANACKI, Honest Samuel and Noah_D like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    10427 times
    Metal Detecting
    So mysterious. And serious.
    villagenut likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

The Bald Eagle photo...he/she posed for me, gave me it's best American look. I felt privileged to get the shot.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4576 times
    You do not need our opinion whether your information is good or not. Do more research and search.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    1592 times
    Quote Originally Posted by research guy View Post
    16 years ago I started into documentation research concerning a specific treasure hunting topic. 11 years ago using this documentation research evidence, I was able to locate the exact site that I was originally looking for. After finding the site, the calculus of how I can research the site changed moving forward, because I was now not looking for a hypothetical site, but rather looking outward from it. The evidence clearly shows that the site has excessively more historical and anthropological value as an unrealized Native American occupation site, than has for its perceived treasure hunting value as a site.

I’m attempting to use this thread to essentially crowd-source the Tnet community for potentially qualified people to evaluate my project, process, methodology, and if they agree with my conclusions, the site itself.

If you were in my shoes, you would reasonably understand why discussing the details publicly would be hazardous to the site. I want to give the Academic Community the first opportunity evaluating the currently unmolested site. I don’t want to make detailed claims publicly until they’ve had this opportunity. So if you know a qualified Archaeologist/Anthropologist that I can reach out to, feel free to Direct Message me their name and/or contact info.

Happy hunting!
    Old sites are cool. If its a major native American Site though, I doubt it's "undiscovered", perhaps "unmolested". I've said it before, but here in the United States, it doesn't matter how remote you feel you are, there's been countless people through there. Drop a coil to the ground and you'll find casings, bullets, iron trash etc. Do you have any pictures of the site?
    Last edited by GoDeep; Nov 13, 2020 at 01:40 AM.
    Honest Samuel likes this.
    Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

us
    Apr 2019
    PA
    86 times
    You are right godeep. But I never claimed it to be “undiscovered”, but rather it’s a historically “unrealized” and currently “unmolested” site. The difference here is that I didn’t simply go out for a walk one day to a new random place I’ve never visited before, and Randomly look down and find a physical artifact that gives me indication that I might be in the middle of a potentially important pre-Columbian native occupation site.

The reason I’m looking to reach out to Archaeologist/Anthropologists is to present the exact process and methodology that I used to identify the site. Show them exactly what the evidence is, and exactly how this sites location is extracted from within the historical documentation. I’m not playing hypothetical lawndarts for a couple thousand miles away hoping that I am randomly right. There is surgical precision in historical documentation research if you manage the information properly.

I used my own vacation time at my own expense on multiple occasions, to go visit the site personally to take pictures and video and document the site with “Boot on the Ground”.

When I get an Archaeologist/Anthropologist to evaluate my research, I am going to present them with the entire history that is was able to uncover, along with the pics and video. They will know exactly why I am telling them that this is an important site, before they ever pick up a shovel or spade. They will know exactly what to potentially expect of the site before ever going there. The definitive “Proof” on my research project will be uncovered in that Archaeological record in the dirt.

A random example of “undiscovered” versus “unrealized”, is Mel Fisher and the Atocha. The Atocha was well documented in history to have existed, as well as to have been loaded with a vast wealth of treasure. It was lost for 100s of years. When Mel Fisher found the site and started producing the objective artifacts, the ship and site became Realized again for its historical value. The artifacts directly associated and identified the shipwreck to the lost legendary sunken ship. He had changed the legendary status of that lost sunken treasure ship into tangible physical tangible objective history again. Thousands of boats may have traveled over that sunken shipwreck site, but none of them realized what was beneath them. That space was occupied by humans thousands of times, but it was only Mel Fisher exposed the historical and Archaeological value of that space. Anybody, at any time could have accidentally discovered that site. Mel Fisher based his research in the documentation to surgically attempt to limit his search area and hone in on the site itself, until he eventually Realized that tangible history back into the history books with an objective site. This is a random example and not related in any way to my study, but the process is very similar.

My research identifies how to locate the physical site, and conclusively associates its unrealized historical identity directly to the site.
    Last edited by research guy; Nov 13, 2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Mackaydon likes this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    1592 times
    Do you have any pictures of the site? Nothing that would give away its location mind you.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    26492 times
    Similar sights in other areas are documented as existing. Then listed as either hands off till authorized investigation (public lands usually) , or future landowner granted investigation.

A college investigated thousands year old sites near me in the nineteen sixties.
    You wouldn't know today.

With the amount of potential and recognized sites , I'm not sure what you are looking for on yours.
    Recording? Investigation? credit for locating it?
    Many of the "qualified" to molest sites PHD's have a backlog of old sites....
    Unless threatened by development there's seldom a rush to do much to any given site that I'm aware.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    10427 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm not a PhD, but I'll pretend to be one. In spite of your enthusiasm for this Native site, another one doesn't really excite me. They're everywhere. As for your wanting to impress me with your research and documentation, kudos to you. And kudos to the thousands of other hobbyists who spend their time on such things. There isn't going to be any professional mutual respect, because you're not a professional. You need to spend 8 years or so, at an educational institution, get your own PhD, and then you can hang out with us. Good luck, start looting the site.
    BillA and Clay Diggins like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

The Bald Eagle photo...he/she posed for me, gave me it's best American look. I felt privileged to get the shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links