johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm rather new to this forum and don't know if the following question has been asked before, sorry if it has.
I recently traded a coil for a Sun Ray pointer for my MXT. How much of the pointers tip is actually, "hot"? If more than the tip is "hot" has anyone tried anything to reduce the pinpointing area? Guess I was used to my Bullseye which only sounded off when the tip was right on the coin.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The SR probe on my explorer reaches about 3 inches from tip to the coin

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found times when I would prefer the tip of my Sunray to detect a somewhat tighter pattern, but haven't tried anything to change it, nor am I sure just what, if anything, would do the trick. It does seem to have a generous detecting area for a pinpointer.
HH
Bill

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sunray DX-1 detects a coin from the side about two inches up from the tip.

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
My EX2's sunray probe is a good 2-3 inches from the tip and i would say an inch on the sides.
I use the tip first then scan the ground with the sides if the item is out of the hole. Ive read the faster you wave it the deeper it can read.

If it broke tomorrow, i would buy another one immediately. Can't live without it.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with rayray3 on the Sunray probe . Once you use it you can't live with out it . Best probe on the market by far ! ..... ;D

olegator01

Nov 17, 2007
Okeechobee, FL
Hey Guys, I have a new (almost) MXT and found a pint jar of clads so far, +
a lot of junk. I bought a Bullseye pinpointer II and think it's pretty good. But I've never seen a Sunray pinpointer anywhere. Is it somewhat like the BE II?
Or is it like I've heard about, one that you can attach to the shaft of your MD, and what's the cost? Also, where could I go to see one (ln TNET that is, or where)? Thanks for any help as the BE II sa one person said only gets out about an inch from the tip. Thanks olegator

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
olegator01, the Sunray probes mount on the upper shafts of detectors. It is an in-line probe with a little box that has a cable coming out of one end attached to the probe and the other end of the box is where you attach your coil for the detector. It has a little toggle switch which selects between the probe and the coil. It's a great little tool but the one problem I have it forgetting to put it back to coil after I have found the target in question, but I am getting better lately at remember to switch it back. I attached a picture of a detector with the probe attached so you know what everyone is talking about and yes they are worth the $200 purchase price.

Attachments

• explorer with X1.jpg
    explorer with X1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 174

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an sunray xl-1 on my QXT. You can detune this just like you can do with a regular coil to decrease the detection area while in pinpoint mode by re-squezing the toggle switch once or twice while over the target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread