Generator recommendations - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Generator recommendations

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    10413 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel322 View Post
    We are just starting to see what options there are and weigh this out. This all started with looking at getting our fireplace in working order for either gas or wood. After exhausting those avenues we decided an emergency generator might be best suited for our needs. We probably aren’t going to make the investment required for a set up like ToddsPoint’s. The chimney guy that was here yesterday told me about those and while they sound very nice, outages here are fairly rare and usually short. Of course if the SHTF we will probably wish we had something like that.

Primarily we want an alternative way to keep warm in the winter. The minimum would be something we could power a 1-room space heater off. Ideally we would like something that could power our gas furnace and the rest of the house.

I’m especially curious about non-gas powered generators as their noise is undesirable and I’m not crazy about storing the gas to run them.
    If it's only heat you're concerned about, consider a portable kerosene heater. They throw out a good amount of heat. Kind of stinky, but we had one, and used it a number of times. You can also use it outdoors.
    alan m and Squirrel322 like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

The Bald Eagle photo...he/she posed for me, gave me it's best American look. I felt privileged to get the shot.

us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    2073 times
    Cache Hunting
    I love pellet stoves, easy to operate and a hell of a lot of heat
    Squirrel322 likes this.
    time for another drink

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    72525 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    If it's only heat you're concerned about, consider a portable kerosene heater. They throw out a good amount of heat. Kind of stinky, but we had one, and used it a number of times. You can also use it outdoors.
    Kray... don't they give off carbon monoxide ?
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    2923 times
    Metal Detecting
    Harbor Freight Predator line is pretty highly rated, if you don't want to spend and arm and leg on a premium brand. I have one, starts on the 1st pull for over 3 years.
    alan m likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    10413 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Kray... don't they give off carbon monoxide ?
    Monoxide, schmonoxide. Yes. I shouldn't have to print a disclaimer, LOL. Kerosene catalytic heater. We would "crack" a few windows for fresh air. In the colder climes they were very popular, and probably still are. There are probably some incidents with bad endings. Kerosene lamps were used in abundance in the past. Burning fossil fuels indoors, with no chimney may seem like a bad idea.........AARC, I withdraw my recommendation. We survived using one. Percentages, maybe. Skol.
    Squirrel322, AARC and pepperj like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

The Bald Eagle photo...he/she posed for me, gave me it's best American look. I felt privileged to get the shot.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    1613 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    We just purchased and had installed a Kohler 20 Kv. It was $5600 plus $1400 installation. Our power goes out a lot and we got tired of it. Had a small generator but it was a hassle to get out and hook up with extension cords. Wind knocked down a power pole a few days ago and Kohler kicked right in. Seamless. No more worries about losing a freezer full of beef. Not to mention keeping from freezing in winter or baking in summer with no power. Gary
    20 Kw
    Squirrel322 and ToddsPoint like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    1613 times
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    I would suggest a deul fuel (propane/gas) since even pure gas goes bad after 6 months. (No, don't use sta-bil in small engines)
    I agree w/golddigger. Dual fuel gives you more options. On long outages you might not be able to obtain gasoline. ..... Sta-bil used to work but not anymore. Guess it can't handle the corn ethanol in the fuel.
    Squirrel322 likes this.

Nov 2020
    We are simply beginning to perceive what choices there are and gauge this out. This all began with taking a gander at getting our chimney in working request for one or the other gas or wood. In the wake of debilitating those roads, we chose a crisis generator may be most appropriate for our necessities. We presumably won't make the speculation needed for a set up like ToddsPoint's. The fireplace fellow that was here yesterday educated me regarding those and keeping in mind that they sound extremely decent, blackouts here are genuinely uncommon and typically short. Obviously if the SHTF we will presumably wish we had something to that effect.

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    What’s wrong with the chimney? The obvious answer seems to be a wood stove.
    Fixing a chimney would probably add value to your home?

Is it brick, metal pipe, or? Maybe a second opinion on the chimney or maybe look into doing the work yourself?

Anything other than a proper indoor heater is asking for trouble. We have an immigrant community here locally that suffers from several carbon monoxide deaths each year. They are trying to use alternative means to heat their shelters. Several of the deaths have been due to running a generator near their shelter. I guess the exhaust creeps in.

For electric heaters, I like the oil filled radiator types. You can partition a room down by hanging sheets to something smaller that would be easier to heat. Pretty much any portable electric heater you can buy these days is limited to 1500 watts (by law probably). Won’t keep your pipes from freezing, but you could hunker down and be comfortable for a short time.

At any rate, they sell smoke/carbon monoxide detectors...good insurance. Just last night someone here locally burned to death in an RV trailer. Not sure of the cause.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Nov 20, 2020 at 08:12 AM.
    Squirrel322 and pepperj like this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

For a whole house generator, I like Generac. For portable, I've always liked Honda motors no matter what they are in. They are quiet, smooth running, and reliable.
    Squirrel322 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2016
    Central MI
    E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
    4742 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    What’s wrong with the chimney? The obvious answer seems to be a wood stove.
    Fixing a chimney would probably add value to your home?

Is it brick, metal pipe, or? Maybe a second opinion on the chimney or maybe look into doing the work yourself?

Anything other than a proper indoor heater is asking for trouble. We have an immigrant community here locally that suffers from several carbon monoxide deaths each year. They are trying to use alternative means to heat their shelters. Several of the deaths have been due to running a generator near their shelter. I guess the exhaust creeps in.

For electric heaters, I like the oil filled radiator types. You can partition a room down by hanging sheets to something smaller that would be easier to heat. Pretty much any portable electric heater you can buy these days is limited to 1500 watts (by law probably). Won’t keep your pipes from freezing, but you could hunker down and be comfortable for a short time.

At any rate, they sell smoke/carbon monoxide detectors...good insurance. Just last night someone here locally burned to death in an RV trailer. Not sure of the cause.
    The chimney is brick and it isn’t lined. The fireplace is also pretty small which limits our gas insert options. Ultimately, either avenue would require an investment that we aren’t willing to make at the moment.

Our interest in a generator is strictly for an emergency situation.

I think we have one of those oil filled electric heaters. At least we did, it’s probably in the back of our closet. We also have a fake fireplace electric heater that my wife uses.

Dec 2012
    76 times
    Whatever you do, hook it up correctly (According to code), or hire an electrician. If you don't you could kill a lineman that is trying to restore your power in the middle of the night.

I have had good experience with Westinghouse Gens. Great price and reliable.
    AARC and Squirrel322 like this.

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    If you are going cheap and only want a little light and a small electric heater for one room, you could get away with using a small generator. They are very handy if you do much outdoors as far as recreation or work.

I knew a guy that lived in a small camp trailer due to a remote job site. His generator experience progressed like this...

1.) $800 Ryobi lasted 12 months then blew up. Could not get satisfaction with warranty. Something about having to have a Ryobi shop do the repairs and there was not one within many hours drive. They finally furnished parts and he paid to have it repaired and it lasted another 2 months before quitting again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	657D1CE9-590D-4D29-85D0-DC5682A0AAB9.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	1881051

2.) $450 Harbor Freight very light, quite, fuel efficient, and started first pull. He was bragging on it comparing it to my Honda. It started running like crap after a couple months so he gave it away.

Name:	B34EADD1-6C3A-497E-B242-B1391EC7E48A.jpeg 
Size:	448.2 KB 
ID:	1881052

3.) $1,000 Honda still running after 3 years.

Name:	B8A9AF9F-E19B-4CFD-B410-D9364C504CAB.jpeg 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	1881053

Sounded like he got a couple lemons which probably is an exception. That’s the risk you take.

My brothers friend lives off the grid. He literally ran a Honda 3000i continuously for 5 years. Only time it was shut down was to add oil and fuel. He gave it to my brother who fixed the starter. My brother ran it for another year at his off grid house. Still runs, but it leaks oil.

I love my Honda 2200i generator. It was expensive, but I will have it for the rest of my life.

If I was thinking about a true emergency, I’d go with Honda. If it’s only for household convenience when the power goes out once a year....and I was on a tight budget...I’d probably go with this one (with the extra warranty). The extra watts will probably be needed.
    $800

Name:	ECA9851C-84D0-46A9-82E3-50DFBF3E8CBB.jpeg 
Size:	477.6 KB 
ID:	1881057

What am I saying??! No - I’d actually spend a few bucks more and buy a smaller Honda generator that would last...hunker down and barely get by for a day or so. Besides, I’d be burning wood.

If you do go cheap...get the extra warranty and thoroughly break the engine in to see if you got a lemon. Then change oil, add some down the spark plug hole, drain fuel (non-ethanol) and cross ur fingers. Those Chinese units either last or they don’t.
    Also be careful...some of the cheap generators advertise the surge rating and some continuous. Apples and oranges. The surge rating is important since many rotating devices take a lot of power at startup.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Nov 21, 2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Squirrel322 likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    33130 times
    Relic Hunting
    In our last build we installed a 20kw propane with automatic switches. Nice to have as were living on an island that had at times outages that ran for more than a few days. (250 year round homes). This unit ran around $15K by the time of purchase, wiring it up. Since then we have resided for the last 7yrs at our present home-and have had to use a generator once. It's only a 5000 watt with a 7500watt surge start up. The meter base has the link up to plug into so it's fairly easy.
    I looked into getting a stand alone unit as the island had: 20KW, LPG, auto switch. Propane is easy as there's no fuss/mess/old fuel....but here's a kicker-weekly test/runs 20/30 minutes...outside auto switch...trenching for power/propane lines....costs are similar as the island set up...except it didn't include trenching.

So I have opted for a used diesel 12KW generator $3K that will trailer mounted 100FT 6/4 cabtire power cord. The trailer will be fully insulated and I can tow behind truck/tractors to move it from my shop to the house if needed. By the time it's all done it will be a $4K investment that will run the shop-then when needed the house/garage/barn.

The house is fully renovated with a LPG boiler, hydronic heating system, and as of today we have still 40% of the home's heating system not turned on yet. We have a 3 head split air unit that handles the main living areas, and is used for air conditioning/heating on the shoulder seasons.

The big events effect everyone-ice storms-the grid goes down, weather related events. Hydro One has done a great job in the tree trimming over the years, and it shows when we have high wind events and there's no outages.

It comes down to peace of mind and where one places the value. We have friends that live on the island-home worth close to $2mil. yet they don't have a back up system for the power outages that occur. Closets are full of endless fashion though...
    BillA and Squirrel322 like this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

Mar 2016
    5079 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    In our last build we installed a 20kw propane with automatic switches. Nice to have as were living on an island that had at times outages that ran for more than a few days. (250 year round homes). This unit ran around $15K by the time of purchase, wiring it up. Since then we have resided for the last 7yrs at our present home-and have had to use a generator once. It's only a 5000 watt with a 7500watt surge start up. The meter base has the link up to plug into so it's fairly easy.
    I looked into getting a stand alone unit as the island had: 20KW, LPG, auto switch. Propane is easy as there's no fuss/mess/old fuel....but here's a kicker-weekly test/runs 20/30 minutes...outside auto switch...trenching for power/propane lines....costs are similar as the island set up...except it didn't include trenching.

So I have opted for a used diesel 12KW generator $3K that will trailer mounted 100FT 6/4 cabtire power cord. The trailer will be fully insulated and I can tow behind truck/tractors to move it from my shop to the house if needed. By the time it's all done it will be a $4K investment that will run the shop-then when needed the house/garage/barn.

The house is fully renovated with a LPG boiler, hydronic heating system, and as of today we have still 40% of the home's heating system not turned on yet. We have a 3 head split air unit that handles the main living areas, and is used for air conditioning/heating on the shoulder seasons.

The big events effect everyone-ice storms-the grid goes down, weather related events. Hydro One has done a great job in the tree trimming over the years, and it shows when we have high wind events and there's no outages.

It comes down to peace of mind and where one places the value. We have friends that live on the island-home worth close to $2mil. yet they don't have a back up system for the power outages that occur. Closets are full of endless fashion though...

I just opened the door to the wood stove and put a piece of firewood in.
    The vent is closed, so it will be running at 40% for awhile. When my daughter gets up in the morning, I’ll crack it open and turn it up some. Feel a bit like a simpleton.

My dad has water pipes built into the back of his wood stove. His hot water heater will not come on more than a couple times this winter as his fire rarely goes out.

If the power goes out here, it’s usually Never more than 3-4 hours.
    I usually don’t notice because I’m either at work or sleeping. I gave up resetting clocks, so everything just flashes all the time.

Worst case scenario is I break out a lantern. The stove is propane, so it works regardless.
    I could hook my generator up to the well pump to get water if things got really bad.

I feel sorry for you folks that live in areas where these hurricane, tornadoes, and ice storms destroy your infrastructure every 25 years. You would think everyone would have it figured out already....UNDERGROUND POWER.

Around here...Y2K was a big worry. Everyone put generator systems in....and never used them.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Nov 22, 2020 at 07:45 AM.
    Squirrel322 and pepperj like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links