E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Squirrel, what type of appliances/heater do you plan to use?
Will you also use it to maintain cold temps in the fridge/freezer?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Portable ? = Yamaha.
Fixed ? = Generac.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We just purchased and had installed a Kohler 20 Kv. It was $5600 plus $1400 installation. Our power goes out a lot and we got tired of it. Had a small generator but it was a hassle to get out and hook up with extension cords. Wind knocked down a power pole a few days ago and Kohler kicked right in. Seamless. No more worries about losing a freezer full of beef. Not to mention keeping from freezing in winter or baking in summer with no power. Gary

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squirrel, what type of appliances/heater do you plan to use?
Will you also use it to maintain cold temps in the fridge/freezer?

We are just starting to see what options there are and weigh this out. This all started with looking at getting our fireplace in working order for either gas or wood. After exhausting those avenues we decided an emergency generator might be best suited for our needs. We probably aren’t going to make the investment required for a set up like ToddsPoint’s. The chimney guy that was here yesterday told me about those and while they sound very nice, outages here are fairly rare and usually short. Of course if the SHTF we will probably wish we had something like that.

Primarily we want an alternative way to keep warm in the winter. The minimum would be something we could power a 1-room space heater off. Ideally we would like something that could power our gas furnace and the rest of the house.

I’m especially curious about non-gas powered generators as their noise is undesirable and I’m not crazy about storing the gas to run them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Yamahas can be modified to run on a multitude of fuels... including propane... and are quiet and reliable.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the more portable version, Honda or Yamaha is the way to go.

Electric space heaters are typically in the 1500-2000 watt category,
add in a couple lamps, maybe use the microwave? For any home
situation, I'd consider the absolute minimum to be a 3500 Watt generator.

I live in a rural area, and while the power generating dam is just upriver
about 30 miles, we often get outages lasting 8-12 hours, and have had
them last as long as 5 days....in mid-winter.

Home has a 15,000 Watt electric furnace, so running that off a gen.
isn't an option. I do have a 6500 Watt gas gen., and it can
handle 2 space heaters, a few lights and a fridge all at once.
In winter, if the freezer starts warming I just bag up the frozen food
and move it out in the garage.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a Generac Portable Generator — 10,000 Surge Watts, 8000 Rated Watts, Electric Start, Model# 7686. $999.00. Runs the whole house except the electric range. Have used it a few years now. Always starts on the first pull.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I would suggest a deul fuel (propane/gas) since even pure gas goes bad after 6 months. (No, don't use sta-bil in small engines)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Yamahas can be modified to run on a multitude of fuels... including propane... and are quiet and reliable.

Well "multitude" should have been "a few"... for it can be converted to run 3... Gas... Propane... Natural gas.

Need one to run on Rum... errr... um.......... scratch that... Rum will keep me warm in the dark. :P

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of years ago I bought a Champion 3,650 watt portable unit from Tractor Supply. It was on some kind of super sale. With a set of wheels and a long cord I was all in for @ $400. It will run my fridge and a small space heater plus ports for USB devices. It has served my purpose.

Pull start. Claims to run 9 hours at 50% capacity on a 3.4 gallon tank, although I've never run it for that long consecutively. Not too noisy, especially if you place something to deflect the sound away from the house. One downside is it weighs about 100 pounds. That said I have rigged up a plywood ramp to load it by myself into the back of my SUV.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are just starting to see what options there are and weigh this out. This all started with looking at getting our fireplace in working order for either gas or wood. After exhausting those avenues we decided an emergency generator might be best suited for our needs. We probably aren’t going to make the investment required for a set up like ToddsPoint’s. The chimney guy that was here yesterday told me about those and while they sound very nice, outages here are fairly rare and usually short. Of course if the SHTF we will probably wish we had something like that.

Primarily we want an alternative way to keep warm in the winter. The minimum would be something we could power a 1-room space heater off. Ideally we would like something that could power our gas furnace and the rest of the house.

I’m especially curious about non-gas powered generators as their noise is undesirable and I’m not crazy about storing the gas to run them.

If it's only heat you're concerned about, consider a portable kerosene heater. They throw out a good amount of heat. Kind of stinky, but we had one, and used it a number of times. You can also use it outdoors.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I love pellet stoves, easy to operate and a hell of a lot of heat

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's only heat you're concerned about, consider a portable kerosene heater. They throw out a good amount of heat. Kind of stinky, but we had one, and used it a number of times. You can also use it outdoors.

Kray... don't they give off carbon monoxide ?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harbor Freight Predator line is pretty highly rated, if you don't want to spend and arm and leg on a premium brand. I have one, starts on the 1st pull for over 3 years.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray... don't they give off carbon monoxide ?

Monoxide, schmonoxide. Yes. I shouldn't have to print a disclaimer, LOL. Kerosene catalytic heater. We would "crack" a few windows for fresh air. In the colder climes they were very popular, and probably still are. There are probably some incidents with bad endings. Kerosene lamps were used in abundance in the past. Burning fossil fuels indoors, with no chimney may seem like a bad idea.........AARC, I withdraw my recommendation. We survived using one. Percentages, maybe. Skol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread