I represent 11.5 million subscriber Youtuber Dallmyd. I'm looking for experts.

Nov 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Leeland. If you want verification that I'm really working with Dallmyd, you'll notice he follows me on Twitter @kingofelohell. This is my first post to this site- I found it 20 minutes ago and after a great deal of reading- I've decided that this place is a treasure trove of wisdom from real life hunters. My job with Jake is ideation. Keep content fresh- keep it interesting. A major part of this is collaboration and planning. So networking helps a lot.

Jake does everything from scuba diving in rivers, oceans and caves, to mining, gold panning and metal detecting both in and out of water. I come from a background of gaming and esports- so this isn't my forte. Working with Jake has been very rewarding because I've gotten to learn a lot about the world of treasure hunting. But you know what they say- the more you learn- the more you realize you don't know.

I have a few ideas and I want to get your expert opinions on what each will take. I'm also open to an ideas and or collaborations. Jake is really great about giving big exposure for up and coming youtube channels that cater to the same audience as him. So if you have ideas and want to work with us- my DM's are wide open.

A) Indonesia has the greatest concentration of shipwrecks in the world, and being a 3rd world country- many of the would be treasure hunters are using faulty gear, and are more concerned with salvaging the metal off more modern ships for scrap metal than actually looking for treasure. From what I read- the Government has its hands tied because multiple countries are attempting to "claim" many of the wreck sites and whatever is found there. Whatever rules there might be- aren't even being enforced. Is there anyone here with knowledge of this part of the world, its history of shipwrecks? Any useful advice or contacts which will help bring this project to life?

B) Shipwrecks in the Florida Keys- as I understand it- this year had the largest number of named storms since Hurricane Katrina's 2005. Now might be a great time to take fresh looks at popular sites like the Plate Fleet of 1715 or the Atocha. (I'm sure there are hundreds more worth checking out too- but I'm just beginning to scratch the surface.)

-For this specific plan- I am looking for guides, a good boat, proper connections and someone who can ensure we cross our T's and dot our I's. What's the protocol in the Key's for diving down to shipwrecks with a metal detector? What do we need to do? What's the best way for us to go about this with as little red tape and nosy in our face officials trying to take what we may or may not find?

C) Do any of you have advice for this winter season? We tend to spend 1-2 months in Tropical areas where we can continue diving related content since it's too cold where we live.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Indonesia is concerned... I know nothing.

As far as here (Florida) is concerned... you cannot "take a fresh look" at any sites here.

They are owned and private.... and Florida hands no one new leases... so might as well get off that cloud.

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett
IWWD -
Welcome. My advice is to spend a few days (or weeks) reading through the material on this site. You need to have a basic understanding of shipwrecks and treasure recovery in FL or you are in for serious legal issues, especially if you are going to film yourself doing it! As AARC said, there are no open leases of known treasure spots and FL is not granting any new ones. GPS numbers are published on a lot of the treasure wreck sites but you can not detect, dig or collect on someone else's lease. You might be able to see a few timbers but not much else remains visible at most locations.

After reading through this site, you'll know who the "Big Dogs" are here (not me!) and you could start by contacting those professionals to see if they will take you under their wing. Good Luck!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IWWD -
Welcome. My advice is to spend a few days (or weeks) reading through the material on this site. You need to have a basic understanding of shipwrecks and treasure recovery in FL or you are in for serious legal issues, especially if you are going to film yourself doing it! As AARC said, there are no open leases of known treasure spots and FL is not granting any new ones. GPS numbers are published on a lot of the treasure wreck sites but you can not detect, dig or collect on someone else's lease. You might be able to see a few timbers but not much else remains visible at most locations.

After reading through this site, you'll know who the "Big Dogs" are here (not me!) and you could start by contacting those professionals to see if they will take you under their wing. Good Luck!

I might just point out that its actually a little broader than this...

Its not just "you can not detect, dig or collect on someone else's lease"... you can not legally do any of those things in ANY water ANYWHERE in Florida... And... even if you did find a wreck or otherwise in the water in this State...... you are entitled to exactly ZERO of it anyway.'

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You CAN detect outside state waters which is three miles in the Atlantic and nine miles in the Gulf. The local treasure hunters usually shut down in the winter months because the weather is poor. They work May to September.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning. You are officially invited and welcome to come and treasure hunt with me in Sonora, Mexico. We are currently working an original "corrida", or pay streak. There are hundreds of treasure legends here as well. The season has just started as the cooler weather gets here. Lust ask for directions from Nogales, Arizona. Treasure X

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
In Indonesia, you need contacts. And money.

But the balance is slowly going towards protection.

My opinion is that you will lose your money.

Attachments

• 763-903-2-PB.pdf
    998.1 KB · Views: 49

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indonesia
A friend of mine ended up in jail there for a couple of months. You need to know who are the honest legit underwater treasure hunters and others like William Hatcher or Tony Wells. You better do some homework.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expertise on this site
Also be aware that many people who post on this site have been in the THing business for 10 to 40 years and during that time may have done years of research into a particular shipwreck. The chances of you being able to just join in and start filming are slim at best IMHO. They are likely to guide you away from trouble so that it doesn't reflect on our industry. If you were to ask me about a project I would be happy to give you advice regarding, technology and the application of it, the country you propose to work in their territorial waters, and the person you propose to work with.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
getting one's mug and moniker broadcast is not an inducement to those with the experience you claim to seek
if I had to choose I'd opt for America's Most Wanted

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Alexandre, I hesitate to ask but what is the difference between a scavenger and an archeologist?
and I'm sure that treasure hunter is in there too

OP
OP
E
Nov 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IWWD -

Hey thanks a lot for your comments. I'm definitely reading up on stuff here- I actually had no idea people could "own" rights to underwater zones. So without a lease you're legally not allowed to detect underwater?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in Florida. In Maryland, where I live, the state claims right to everything in the rivers and bays.

OP
OP
E
Nov 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indonesia
A friend of mine ended up in jail there for a couple of months. You need to know who are the honest legit underwater treasure hunters and others like William Hatcher or Tony Wells. You better do some homework.

Defintely. I've been trying. It's difficult when the bests leads and keywords are in a language you don't understand.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
So if you found a gold nugget during a live stream in a riverbed- the state government is entitled to confiscate it?
you need to read and pause posting
there are sections on this site dedicated to some of the interests you inquired about
you might want to read them

a claim jumper is not protected by ignorance

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning. You are officially invited and welcome to come and treasure hunt with me in Sonora, Mexico. We are currently working an original "corrida", or pay streak. There are hundreds of treasure legends here as well. The season has just started as the cooler weather gets here. Lust ask for directions from Nogales, Arizona. Treasure X

I'm pretty sure Sonora Mexico is a bad place to be right now with the Cartel and the war they have going on down there.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zak. That's certainly a feature at the moment. But, as a professional, I can assess the risk and make an informed decision. I have been here for over 9 years. I speak the dialect and have been able to get along politically as well.

This area has unbelievably rich placers. As well as a great history to tell. The OP should consider Sonora a viable option.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread