Hypothetical discovery question

animalrooster41

Greenie
Jun 6, 2010
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
I'll get right to the point. Say a person found on his or her own property $100 million in gold bars, (no marks on them) in Nevada (no state tax). Could you sell them a little at a time or all at once without breaking the law?! Assuming taxes get paid because it's claimed as income at the end of year. Remember, its a hypothetical question. Best answers please, (and no I haven't found anything!)

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, you've been a member for 10 years and ownly spoke to us all 11 times.:laughing7:
Don't be so bashfull.

Kel1

Greenie
Mar 16, 2019
NW Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS III, bought new in the '80's and still own! Fisher F2, Delta 4000, Hunt Mate and Nokta pin pointers, and now added the Nokta Simplex+ with added sp24 coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
I'll get right to the point. Say a person found on his or her own property $100 million in gold bars, (no marks on them) in Nevada (no state tax). Could you sell them a little at a time or all at once without breaking the law?! Assuming taxes get paid because it's claimed as income at the end of year. Remember, its a hypothetical question. Best answers please, (and no I haven't found anything!)

The law is finders keepers especially if found on your own property. Previous owners give up the right once the property is sold... I'm pretty sure you would have to pay the 28% capital gains tax though... but then maybe gift that amount to family members to break even.. LOL

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe in US. In EU one would be stripped off those bars before able to get a good look at them. Remember the prank at Lake Topliz?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, no taxes, according to some folks on here that post finds online that they claim they’ve sold for thousands in profit.
I’ve been piled on many times for claiming differently. Contact a tax man for the correct info.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Excerpt from an article on the Saddle Ridge Hoard (1,400 gold coins found by a couple in California on their own property): "According to federal tax law, when you find lost or abandoned property, you have to pay tax on it as income equal to its value in the first year you take full possession of it."

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is finders keepers and thecoinkid is correct on taxes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it depends on how much you sell at a time.
I Don't know the Limit But if you Sell to a gold Buyer there is a Point he will Ask you for a SS #

If you find out what point that is & Just sell shavings, Slugs or Solid Gold Kisses, weighing under that amount, at multiple places so you don't become familiar, how would they know ? If you have that much, The World is your Oyster & Every Buyer Interested

loose lips :unhappysmiley:

Of course if you want to Pay Taxes & are Visited & Questioned , It's been in the family like Forever, Right ?

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Dubai and sell it no questions asked.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
it depends on how much you sell at a time.
I Don't know the Limit But if you Sell to a gold Buyer there is a Point he will Ask you for a SS #

If you find out what point that is & Just sell shavings, Slugs or Solid Gold Kisses, weighing under that amount, at multiple places so you don't become familiar, how would they know ? If you have that much, The World is your Oyster & Every Buyer Interested

loose lips :unhappysmiley:

Of course if you want to Pay Taxes & are Visited & Questioned , It's been in the family like Forever, Right ?
Here’s how they would know. People posting online with pictures of the loot and totals in profit, some which exceed $10k. I’ve seen that several times.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't say squat to anyone. I'd get a safety deposit box, sell what I need as conditions arise. Laws are made to relieve you of your assets. Everything you buy will be taxed anyway so that's my take on it. Now I just have to discover gold or diamonds on my little piece of property!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i was trying to visualize what a hypothetical $100 million in gold bars looks like
maybe this is close

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 5.24.31 PM.png

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...and HOW would you get it there?

You don't have to get it there, broker the deal, show them proof of it and let them worry about getting it there. I can see you've never dealt with anything shady.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell a bar here and there, only enough to get you thru a year or so at a time, so you can pay cash for everything. Inform your children what you have and how to cash it in as you did, because they will eventually end up with it. There should be no way you or your children could spend that in a lifetime. And don't tell a soul that you found it. Sell it to different coin shops / refineries etc. each year, so as not to raise suspicion that you have a large amount.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better keep your mouth completely shut as Feds will want their share of total found within 1 year of find. The couple who found the 10 million in old gold coins on their property found that out

"So, the couple that recently found about $10 million-worth of old gold coins on their property may have to cough up almost half of their findings to the taxman. If they sell any of the gold, however, they can take advantage of lower capital gains taxes."

https://www.advisor.ca/news/industr...hen, the IRS has,their findings to the taxman.

"According to a 1969 federal court ruling a ‘treasure trove’ is taxable in the year that it was discovered.

‘If you find and keep property that does not belong to you that has been lost or abandoned (treasure-trove), it is taxable to you at its fair market value in the first year it is your undisputed possession,’ states the IRS’ 2013 tax guide."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...old-coins-forced-half-new-fortune-taxman.html

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better keep your mouth completely shut as Feds will want their share of total found within 1 year of find. The couple who found the 10 million in old gold coins on their property found that out

"So, the couple that recently found about $10 million-worth of old gold coins on their property may have to cough up almost half of their findings to the taxman. If they sell any of the gold, however, they can take advantage of lower capital gains taxes."

https://www.advisor.ca/news/industr...hen, the IRS has,their findings to the taxman.

"According to a 1969 federal court ruling a ‘treasure trove’ is taxable in the year that it was discovered.

‘If you find and keep property that does not belong to you that has been lost or abandoned (treasure-trove), it is taxable to you at its fair market value in the first year it is your undisputed possession,’ states the IRS’ 2013 tax guide."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...old-coins-forced-half-new-fortune-taxman.html

Which IMO is total BS and should be stricken from the guide as it makes the citizens of the U.S. look like complete idiots.

How can something be taxed if it isn't sold yet. this is absurd to think you will pay tax on it TWICE.

Most items don't have a value UNTIL its sold... until then it is only speculative as to a true and definitive value.

This law IMO should be re-written to only apply to items SOLD.... ONLY THEN can it be considered "income".

A chair worth money that you bought at a yard sale or grandpa had in his house which you now own is not "income".

ONLY when it is converted to cash could a "value" be placed on ANY item.

It is what it is... until it isn't.

Not under the law... but plain dumb ole common sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread