Need advice on buying a metal detector

LiamMason

Dec 1, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to start getting into metal detecting. Seeing all your awesome finds has inspired me! I have been watching a ton of videos and reading a lot of reviews and it seems like a good consensus is the Fisher Labs F2 or Garrett Ace 250? I live in SW FL and plan on using it mainly in yards and at the beaches. My budget is $300.00 Are these good beginner detectors that I can keep without upgrading for a while? essay writer Any that you would suggest in that price range?

all the reviews and comparison charts I have seen have been 3-4 years old. Any new competitors? Thanks!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Liam!
Your price range will most likely limit your detector choices. May I suggest saving a little more to narrow in on a detector that will be perfect for the places you mentioned you like to hunt.
Take a look at the Minelab Equinox 600. If you call around, It can be purchased at a discount from sponsors. The 600 will allow you to grow into it and not need to be upgraded at a later date. Best of luck!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most machines in that price range won't like a salt water beach. something to research when shopping.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .:hello:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into a Nokta Makro Simplex or Minelab Vanquish 440

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both Rustygold and ticndig, and strongly believe in saving more now to be frustrated less later. My experience however limited has proven that getting a machine that will perform well in the environment you find yourself will greatly increase your chances of finding what you seek, keeping you excited and interested. A machine that doesn’t, will ultimately aggravate you to the point where you convince yourself to abandon the challenge out of frustration and lackluster results.
At the beach I have found my Equinox to perform very well.

Just my two cents...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most machines will work on the dry sand at a beach. I liked my Tesoro Cibola for that. It found my first gold coin at a beach no less! There are a lot of machines to choose from. Garrett makes some very nice machines these days, I'd take a look at them. Some are very reasonable.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex all the way, punches way above its weight class, seriously

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex or Vanquish...either should work fine for you!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex for sure, actually below $300 unless you want the wireless headphones

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i always say buy a used 6 or 7 hundred machine for 300.alott of vendors on there sale used machines.
brad

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I'd get the Garrett or Fisher and try it. The sandy beach area will be ok for them. You'll need a backup detector to have around when you upgrade if you really like the hobby. The Equinox 600 pretty much does it all in a nice compact package. If there is a dealer nearby I'd suggest to go check out different models.
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread