Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all of you who enjoyed reading about Scrambles and her friends, unfortunately when I was playing with Buttercup, her sister hen earlier this week, I found a large mass in her abdomen during a petting session. It wasn't there three weeks ago. I called the vet to have her put down (most likely cancer) and since I still had Big Red, her dumb old self, I needed to figure out what to do with one hen. One by themselves will either freeze outside this winter or just die of loneliness. I thought about bringing her to live inside, but that is a rather insane idea. She'd destroy the cats and would still be without chicken friends, and they are very social animals.

I found a place that has a lot of animals and they took both hens. I don't think Buttercup will be here many more days, if that, and Big Red will have a lot of other hens and roosters to play with. Hen plays with rooster, yeah, I see that one!

I am devastated. I had them since they were 2 weeks old. I won't be getting any more.

The book is going to the publisher today...

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear about your Buttercup Smokeythecat. Hope your good memories with Buttercup will help ease the pain.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat,sorry to hear about Buttercup,it brings back many many memories for me back in the seventies when my wife’s father had chickens and after awhile when BigRed the rooster used to see me approaching the coop he would go to the gate and wait for me to open it ,,it was always nice to spend time with him although sometimes it was difficult to make him go back in the gate again,

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A tough stage to be at...Now is probably not the time to tell you that it was worth it. (there , I wrote it..As it was.)
Heck of a run together you all had.

Not sure how old my flock lived till.
But I can recall how they lived.
They had it good.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two girls are six and half years old. Imagine a chicken getting so old it dies from cancer. Anyway, I bought a 6 pound bag of the dried mealworms and visited them today. I had a LOT of new chicken friends and even a black pot bellied pig sucking up to me for the mealworms. They gobbled every one they were given. The owner still has maybe 4 pounds left for everyone to have more treats. I got a few last pics, Buttercup is mushrooming but doesn't act like it hurts her. Got a few last pets in also.

The one handsome rooster came by and danced for them a bit. Roosters can't get to them right now.

Let's see - fan and extra shade awning for my ladies in the summer with blueberries, watermelon and seedless grapes. When cold weather came then more nice hay for their house, sometimes a heater, a moving "blanket" when the wind howled, custom fit plexiglass around the pen when it was really bad, blueberry and cream cheese muffins every time I went to the convenience store, the mealworms, hard boiled eggs and raw ones but I had the grace to open a spot on them so they could gobble them quicker, sausage, egg and cheese biscuits in the cold winter and on and on and on. Those birds ate better than some people. Which I can't fix, except I do support an orphanage in Uganda.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to raise pigeons and would love to get some chickens. Unfortunately, my wife won't have it. Gary

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ToddsPoint, there is one type of chicken that weighs in at a hefty 1 pound. Just a little bigger than a pigeon. However, I don't think I can do anymore birds, although they are a joy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread