Native American Indians items of importance we might find being metal detecting

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just asking, early settlers I understand for the most part what was considered vital importance, guns, spoons, clothing, but as far as the native Indians, did they have anything that was detectable that we might find and frankly dismissed it not knowing. Is it correct that arrowhead are not detectable if so please correct me. Thankyou I’m a curious mind and just maybe find something very rare, I don’t dispose much the subject came across my mind, in western Pennsylvania we had native Indians etc, but try to respect certain things. So anyone or even a proud Native American Indian would like to help out I’d appreciate it. Thankyou very much.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass and copper kettle points made by Native Americans are a great find here in New England. I've never dug one, so they're not common.

kettle points.jpg

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh they made items, tools etc out of brass and copper gee I didn’t think of that thankyou, goes to tell you, I sometimes overthink and so I thankyou

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There were trade networks...
Pa. is not that far (considering networks) from the Great Lakes copper region. And , there was "float" copper too. Depending who you ask or what write ups you find , copper has been alleged to have been acquired in the region West of you for thousands of years. The pits and worked fissures and some tools remain. Though many stone hammers ect. were hauled out and discarded at one time by Euro's.

A claim exists of a native silver nugget unearthed with other silver artifacts I have not found other accounts of West of you.

Copper knives traveled and likely traded. Some styles look more like a rocker shape that a knife. And if bent would be confusing.
An uncle recovered a couple.

If you look up copper culture you'll find a variety of items , and copper.

Post Euro contact , metals were recycled, repurposed ,and some collections cached. Others dropped or discarded. Plus all the trade and gift items associated with metals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes very good, just for your information I’m from Mercer county, Pennsylvania bordering Ohio, just a hour trip straight up from Lake Erie. So you can research the many native Indian tribes we’ve had, I try to respect sacred grounds, mounds etc. however walking the shorelines when the man made lake goes down opens up so many possibilities that otherwise would never be seen, so thankyou I’m learning from you, thankyou

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I winter in the SW and friends have detected arrowheads made out of steel on the desert. The claim is the metal came from the rings around the wooden water barrels attached to wagons. I attended the gold show in El Paso one year and there were several metal detector companies there. One rep was from Wisconsin who told me he detected over 200 metal artifacts up there mostly made of copper.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou Jon

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes very good, just for your information I’m from Mercer county, Pennsylvania bordering Ohio, just a hour trip straight up from Lake Erie. So you can research the many native Indian tribes we’ve had, I try to respect sacred grounds, mounds etc. however walking the shorelines when the man made lake goes down opens up so many possibilities that otherwise would never be seen, so thankyou I’m learning from you, thankyou

I've lost track of some former native trail maps....(Killed a computer with info on it , and am not tech savvy...)

While many trails are paved today , which tells much of their being well chosen originally , some just faded.

One major trail ran W-E below Mi.. Others intersected it of course depending on destinations. They flourished though.

A archeological book at a flea market from out East , had content from Michigan (my state) that combined with other documents presented some interesting ties I never did figure out.

Mounds about ten minutes from me (and I too stay clear of them) were studied by a college. Mounds near them were studied by another group.
None declared any burials. But...One had a "hearth" best defined as simply a fire pit. And it had multiple different style arrowheads.
Heads being unique to different "schools" more than era of age.

I'm aware of some being buried in sand under a fire to heat treat/temper them. But varied representations of different nations/tribes so to speak stuck with me.
They were together. Not layered as in historic occupation..

Another documentation was of a site about a hundred and thirty-fifty miles away.
It showed evidence of a pole wall. Fire reflector, wind, break , screen, lean-to , or defensive reason??? I quit puzzling about why a single wall when mention was made of varied style points found in the same layer of varied type groups/nations.

All sites were tied by riverine areas and routes.
The Northernmost (and certainly not the Northernmost sites existing) ended at a rapids that ran for 30 miles.
The lowest where two rivers joined. Neither remarkable or uncommon chosen sites to occupy by whatever season for however long.
But neither near any more permanent village sites.

History varies. But even before Euro influence there were certain groups controlling trade /activities in their domains.
So you couldn't just go anywhere at will and conduct business.
Then there was customary/traditional versions of war depending on alliances.

I've long wondered if those points from varied areas didn't represent varied groups or representatives performing a unity of sorts ceremony at varied areas of their range.
Not sure what else to make of it...

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good sir, thankyou

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found any metallic arrowheads or any other items made of metal. I have found many stone arrowheads and even an axe head with a full groove while metal detecting in my fields.

rockrooster

Dec 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native Americans used these arrowheads to hunt white tail, green head, and rabbits on this land thousand of years ago,Amazing

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some indian chiefs were given inscribed peace medals. I seen a couple a few years back. I think once was for chief little turtle. It was about the size of 3 silver dollars and it was inscribed a peace medal .They were made to wear around the chiefs necks

Last edited:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this, I don't know what it is ( if it's even Native American) but I think I will unfold it soon to see if there is an inscription inside. I have heard the stories of Native Americans in Kansas getting paid their rations with gold coins from the government. They have some incredible medallions at the history museum in Washington. Screenshot_20201211-031549.png

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A local collector took a metal detector to a Hopewell site that had been hunted for a hundred years. He found a beautiful copper celt. Gary

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Copper culture items I have found in Central WI. One pic are the formed tools, the other is raw copper nuggets.

Attachments

• 000_5130.JPG
    000_5130.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 000_5131.JPG
    000_5131.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 45

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread