On the hunt for Vintage Electronics

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

I have been filling some of my off season prospecting time by recycling electronics. I have always loved seeing how something works plus I get to take them apart without having to put them back together!

Anyone have any suggestions for places I can find old computers, testing equipment, cnc controllers, or just about anything with circuit boards.

I’m in the Dayton Ohio area.

Attachments

• 473B808D-3950-423D-A051-AE6E15C3B831.jpeg
    473B808D-3950-423D-A051-AE6E15C3B831.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52

Paulo

Oct 13, 2019
West Toast
Detector(s) used
HF-9, X-Ray Vision (1st gen), LDDS-1x (lawn dart dowsing system)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, honestly, I've acquired most of my 'e-treasures' via work e-waste or cList. However, there's a lot of mid 80s and early 90s test equipment on eBay for pretty cheap. Like big ol' rackmount network testers and crap like that. Tons of boards inside, lots of wire-rap and tantalum caps, etc.

Sometimes, you can find local sellers via eBay that deal in technical surplus and hit them up for their junk they can't sell. Worth a shot.

Just stay vigilant with the free section on CL, eventually some retired engineer will be clearing out his garage (or the widow of one). I've actually experienced both and it was pretty awesome. My Wife will vehemently disagree but that just makes it all the more fun. ;P

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, honestly, I've acquired most of my 'e-treasures' via work e-waste or cList. However, there's a lot of mid 80s and early 90s test equipment on eBay for pretty cheap. Like big ol' rackmount network testers and crap like that. Tons of boards inside, lots of wire-rap and tantalum caps, etc.

Sometimes, you can find local sellers via eBay that deal in technical surplus and hit them up for their junk they can't sell. Worth a shot.

Just stay vigilant with the free section on CL, eventually some retired engineer will be clearing out his garage (or the widow of one). I've actually experienced both and it was pretty awesome. My Wife will vehemently disagree but that just makes it all the more fun. ;P

Thanks for the reply. I have been watching CL with decent results. I’ll stay diligent and hope for the right opportunity to come along. Got the fever baaaad. I was in the creeks at 5 am before work until it got cold. Now I’m standing in my garage thrashing computers. Lol

Thanks again! Marry Christmas!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're searching CL. Run ads in the general, electronics, and antique sections & let em cook. You'll be surprised. Run an ad in the services section that you'll pick up old "e-waste" for free. Be careful here! You'll probably end up with more than you can handle. Keep updating your ads so they get bumped up to the top.
Have you looked at remodeling / demo companies & contractors? You're making life easier for them by relieving them of electronics they can't just dump at the land fill.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was once at a county auction where they had near 100 desk top pc , fax machines and and such equipment found in schools all out dated and sat in the rain the night before the auction , it sold for the first bid of $2 for all of it.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a little dumpster diving or if you know someone who works in a school tech lab make friends with them.Schools are always getting rid of old computer gear and they often will give it to you just to get rid of it.My daughter does this and you can get quite a a haul sometimes even in a small school district.It,s legal too,and free!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Do a little dumpster diving or if you know someone who works in a school tech lab make friends with them.Schools are always getting rid of old computer gear and they often will give it to you just to get rid of it.My daughter does this and you can get quite a a haul sometimes even in a small school district.It,s legal too,and free!
Be careful when dumpsters diving, you can go to jail.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're searching CL. Run ads in the general, electronics, and antique sections & let em cook. You'll be surprised. Run an ad in the services section that you'll pick up old "e-waste" for free. Be careful here! You'll probably end up with more than you can handle. Keep updating your ads so they get bumped up to the top.
Have you looked at remodeling / demo companies & contractors? You're making life easier for them by relieving them of electronics they can't just dump at the land fill.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve got a couple adds up and it’s produced a little bit. I have thought about contacting a few hauling company’s. I’ll have to get on that.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I’ve been meaning to do some asking around so I can get in contact with some school techs. A few collages within 5 miles of the house. Could prove to be promising.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. More accurately the parts. There’s gold in/on them boards.

I don't see any gold in the photo you posted. Possibly some in the chips but they look like EPROMS(sp?) which generally contain no gold. Only one way to find out...

I think I see a mess of silver in that board though. Most likely silver bearing solder on the back of it too. What did you pull that board from?

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve got a couple adds up and it’s produced a little bit. I have thought about contacting a few hauling company’s. I’ll have to get on that.

Honestly you're getting going at a good time! Good time to cruise your neighborhood and especially apartment complexes on trash day. Everyone will be throwing out their old stuff after they set up their new Christmas stuff. As somebody mentioned above if you're dumpster diving you're on private property. Take a few minutes, go ask the store manager for permission. What's to lose? Worst is he can say is no.
Keep us updated!

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Back when I was between lives, I was living in my truck and had all of my possessions in a storage facility, I would regularly scan those dumpsters at the end of the month and find a lot of good stuff which I later sold at the weekend swap meet. I made a meager living doing that, also..........many of the electronic instruments contain a lot of scrap gold.......

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any gold in the photo you posted. Possibly some in the chips but they look like EPROMS(sp?) which generally contain no gold. Only one way to find out...

I think I see a mess of silver in that board though. Most likely silver bearing solder on the back of it too. What did you pull that board from?

That’s just a board I had a picture of. Not much on that one. It came from a old CNC controller. It’s loaded. 1.5 lbs of fingers, 500-600 grams of pins. Hundreds of IC that have gold solder on the dies, lots of gold legged transistors etc.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly you're getting going at a good time! Good time to cruise your neighborhood and especially apartment complexes on trash day. Everyone will be throwing out their old stuff after they set up their new Christmas stuff. As somebody mentioned above if you're dumpster diving you're on private property. Take a few minutes, go ask the store manager for permission. What's to lose? Worst is he can say is no.
Keep us updated!

I agree completely. I’ve owned my business for years. Had many scrappers in my dumpster. I’m always happy to see them get what they can as long as they don’t make a mess.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was between lives, I was living in my truck and had all of my possessions in a storage facility, I would regularly scan those dumpsters at the end of the month and find a lot of good stuff which I later sold at the weekend swap meet. I made a meager living doing that, also..........many of the electronic instruments contain a lot of scrap gold.......

Yes sir. Older electronic testing instruments are a great place to look. Trouble I’m having is finding them. Lol

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree completely. I’ve owned my business for years. Had many scrappers in my dumpster. I’m always happy to see them get what they can as long as they don’t make a mess.
Or get hurt, and you lose everything. Yep, Debbie downer, but that’s the way it is today.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some town dumps have free swap shops to free up space in their landfill.

Maybe check out smaller surrounding communities and see if anything is available to non-town folks?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or get hurt, and you lose everything. Yep, Debbie downer, but that’s the way it is today.

I live in a very small town and don,t actually go in the dumpsters,I keep a pole with a hook on the end in my truck and snag what ever is handy with it.The police are most likely to ask if I got anything.Like I said it,s a small town ,I,ve lived here all my life and I,m known by just about every one.By all means know your local laws and ask permission,I assumed that when I suggested looking in dumpsters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread