Nox 800 under the tree today! Please share your top tips, etc....

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just opened my Minelab Equinox 800 today that was under the tree! I have used a Garrett ACE 400 for two years. Nox users, would you please share your top tips or insights that you feel would be most helpful to a new user? I am mostly searching for gold and silver coins/jewelry. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rings & Bling,

Merry Christmas, that was definitely an outstanding present. Recommend looking up the Searcher magazine on You Tube and look at their video on Nox salt water settings for land. It is a pretty good program. I would also watch the Minelab videos, they are also good. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, that is a nice gift. I would go check out the Minelab board in the Brands section. You should be able to find a lot of great info there.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had mine for 2 months and still trying to figure it out. No instruction book, you have to go online. $950 and no book? Sheesh! I bought a book on ebay and am making slow progress. Complicated machine. Gary

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the factory presets until you get used to it. if you try to tweak it right out of the box, you'll miss stuff.

DavidDigs4Free

May 20, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Other
One very good source of information and guidance is "The Equinox Series Handbook" by Andy Sabisch. You can order a copy at Amazon.com Books.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! You must have been good ( "for goodness sake "!) Congratulations R&B !! From everything I hear that's a fine detector ! I hope to grab one next time I'm really flush.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas R & B. I have had mine almost a year and a half, and I still use the preset program of Park 1 when I am in parks and yards. When in the fields, I use the preset of Field 1. I have made excellent coin and relic finds with these preset modes, and dont feel the need to "tweek" the detector. Just a week back, I was using the preset Field 1 while hunting a field, and pulled my very first 3 Cent silver trime (1852). That is a very thin coin, and I dont know if my other 2 detectors would have picked it up at the depth that it was. The good thing is, is that if you decide to experiment with other settings, you can do so, and if they dont work out, you can always go back to the preset programs. For me, its "If it ain't broke, dont fix it" ! Good luck, you will like the detector in time.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck out here. On land dig everything above 9. And on the beach dig everything. Most of your gold rings will be between 11 and 18, although there are exceptions. Your gold chains will be 1-10. Silver dimes are as low as 23/24 if they are worn. So dig those numbers and higher for majority of your silver coins. Good luck

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say dig everything 7 or above on land. I found some American Indian brass ornaments that read '7'.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for 2 months and still trying to figure it out. No instruction book, you have to go online. $950 and no book? Sheesh! I bought a book on ebay and am making slow progress. Complicated machine. Gary

If you really paid 950$ for a stock Equinox 800 Gary....you got HOSED. There must be more to that story!(I hope!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread