I don't dig targets... I have all these guys! WTF?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is this guy on Oak Island? Is he seriously a PRO metal detector? He comes off as such a tool. Is he a member of this site? I just seriously don't get it.

pretty sure Gary is still a member here. though imo Oak Island is destroying his reputation.
He has Signed Contracts which I'm sure Prevent him for Discussing what they Make him say & Do
Compared to what actually Happens.

As for "Pro" It comes down to Your/my Definition of Pro.
it's Sort of like your/my Definition of Treasure I guess.

In my opinion, if You get paid big bucks to Treasure Hunt on TV, or Make Big Bucks
Treasure Hunting with a Detector Yes your either a Pro. or an Actor.

In his case , I would call him a Pro, Because he Does really detect, Not just pretend.
and he Gets Paid to Detect. and at the Moment he gets paid to Act Too I'm sure.

Though I Do wonder about his I.d.'s on the Oak Island show.
if they are his or the script writers .

in Contrast: in Josh Gates Case, I Would not call him a Professional Detectist, Though he uses one Occasionally.
But I would call him a Professional Treasure Hunter. But at moment I'm loosing respect for Him.
He no longer does his own searching..

In Mel Fishers Case, I'd call him a Professional Treasure Finder.

as for your Title ! I just wanna add, I Get upset when Someone Digs my Signals.
Even Kids. Only way I Want someone to dig my Signal is When I tried for 20 Minutes or More and
am Mentally & Psychically wasted. because the finder is the keeper and also gets all the fun of search and discovery.

I don't particularly have respect for the Brothers on Oak Island.
Because they can not meet my definition of Treasure Hunters or Finders.
They are maybe Financiers , if they really use their own money, That's all.
They need a Hole Dug or a Place Searched, They hire someone

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty sure Gary is still a member here. though imo Oak Island is destroying his reputation.
He has Signed Contracts which I'm sure Prevent him for Discussing what they Make him say & Do
Compared to what actually Happens.

As for "Pro" It comes down to Your/my Definition of Pro.
it's Sort of like your/my Definition of Treasure I guess.

In my opinion, if You get paid big bucks to Treasure Hunt on TV, or Make Big Bucks
Treasure Hunting with a Detector Yes your either a Pro. or an Actor.

In his case , I would call him a Pro, Because he Does really detect, Not just pretend.

Though I Do wonder about his I.d.'s on the Oak Island show.
if they are his or the script writers .

I could add a lot here. heh

:)

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
It is a reality show for sure but I watch it because they are from Michigan as I am. Last night they did a show on lost ships in Lake Michigan and for me that was interesting because I know hundreds of ships have sunk in the big lake. The problem with finding anything in the big lake is, "by law it belongs to the state" so they can't keep anything they find. I do find that trying to explain what a nail is and what it is used for is getting a little old. But like most reality shows they collect a fee for every episode. I know the brothers ain't hurting. They own a winery and a wind farm in Michigan.

Did some checking and learned that the "team" on the show actually owns 78% of Oak Island so they may be able to keep what they find.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a reality show for sure but I watch it because they are from Michigan as I am. Last night they did a show on lost ships in Lake Michigan and for me that was interesting because I know hundreds of ships have sunk in the big lake. The problem with finding anything in the big lake is, "by law it belongs to the state" so they can't keep anything they find. I do find that trying to explain what a nail is and what it is used for is getting a little old. But like most reality shows they collect a fee for every episode. I know the brothers ain't hurting. They own a winery and a wind farm in Michigan.

Did some checking and learned that the "team" on the show actually owns 78% of Oak Island so they may be able to keep what they find.

I'm of the Thoughts Canada & The Archeological Community Technically Own everything under the Ground.
If they do Find something They can Put it in their Museum, as Long as Canada and The Archeological Community
Get a Cut of all fees to Enter the Island and Museum.

Since allot of the Island was Dug up with heavy Equipment and Back Filled There are allot of Archeologically useless areas though.

Their Insistence the Railroad Spike was a Ships Nail,
Ended my interest in anything they try to Put over on the public.

Try to Drive a Railroad Spikes flat wide tip into a Mahogany Board :unhappysmiley:

With the Grain it will split
Against the Grain, I'm not Holding while you hit it with a sledge! :tongue3:

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish all my gold finds were in such pristine condition as his finds. The few gold rings I've found always seem to be scratched or bent. Just saying...

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know about his past credentials, but he sure acts scripted on the show. The stuff they find is completely blown out of proportion. I’m sure they’re made to act that way to appeal to the mass audience, who don’t know squat about metal detecting. So basing everything off the show I would say he’s not an expert, ima have to read up on his experience beforehand.

Also, what’s the stories for all the stuff he’s found? Any stories anywhere, because a lot of that looks like shipwreck finds, like the gems. And yeah the rings look pristine also.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We met him in Atlantic City one year at the Minelab Event

This ring
worth $500,000,
gary-drayton-treasure.jpg

I haven't heard the whole Story, But My understanding Spain may have stolen this find from him

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/229058-my-second-best-emerald-ring.html

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Further proof that "Ssssssh" is the best policy. ;-)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further proof that "Ssssssh" is the best policy. ;-)

Yep That's my Understanding , They caught the story somewhere & insisted it was Spanish Property.

Again, I heard it 2nd Hand, I did not Hear or Read the story Myself

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold increased in value since it was found, I'm sure that makes a difference.
actually Gold may have been under $500 an Oz when he found it.
I didn't check what year he found it , I'm pretty Sure Gold was Wavering around $300 ? in 2000

Add to that Treasure can Increase in Value simply by desire to Own

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread