Nickels To Pulltabs Ratio

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0911.JPG This year rather than dump my pulltabs in the nearest garbage can I decided to save them to see what the ratio of nickels to pulltabs was. I dug 104 nickels, 103 clad and one silver Wartime nickel. Pulltabs totaled twelve.

Last edited:

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive. Are you using primarily the AT Max or AT Pro?

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Impressive. Are you using primarily the AT Max or AT Pro?
Of my 59 hunts in 2020, I used the Pro 22 times and the Max 34 times. Three other hunts was done with my Ace400 backup detector.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I mostly hunt older sites (taverns/schools/pioneer homesteads) so I only came up with 1 war nickel, 3 buffs, and 9 (other) jeffersons... some of those roadside sites have ridiculous amounts of ptabs and can slaw so I didn't even bother to count.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good on you. Back when I hunted a town park next to my worksite every lunchbreak I noticed that I found a disproportionate amount of nickels. I figured this was due to prior coin-shooters masking out pull tabs.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! I mostly hunt older sites (taverns/schools/pioneer homesteads) so I only came up with 1 war nickel, 3 buffs, and 9 (other) jeffersons... some of those roadside sites have ridiculous amounts of ptabs and can slaw so I didn't even bother to count.
Thanks Noah.....Yes, those older sites will generally have low pulltab counts.

Good on you. Back when I hunted a town park next to my worksite every lunchbreak I noticed that I found a disproportionate amount of nickels. I figured this was due to prior coin-shooters masking out pull tabs.
Thanks Charlie.....I agree that some guys will notch out the pulltabs and miss the nickels.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a great job of figuring out the difference between tabs and nickels. I am more along the 5 tabs for one nickel. The Equinox should help me improve my ratio as it does an outstanding job identifying nickels. A great year for you. I am impressed!

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did a great job of figuring out the difference between tabs and nickels. I am more along the 5 tabs for one nickel. The Equinox should help me improve my ratio as it does an outstanding job identifying nickels. A great year for you. I am impressed!

Thank you.....good luck with your Equinox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions