Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove almost 190 miles to get these today, plus an awesome rooster. They are going to live in the living room in a large cat/dog carrier. The one hen on the computer monitor accepted my finger offered to her and got on in and then sat on my shoulder for awhile. I have had them just an hour in the house! Seems they like me. The chicken diapers arrive Thursday. This is not a joke. These are chickens and lay eggs I can eat!
Dusty the cat is NOT amused! The other cats went and hid.

IMG_2496.JPG IMG_2498.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking hens Smokey, how old?

Our 20 are now 15 weeks old already, and the little hen and the 3 roosters are 8 months old.
Great fun, Pips the 8month was pecking at me and was trying to really get my attention. So I picked up and we had a few minutes of lap time and she was good. (I think she misses her truck rides to the field):laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are Old English Sharp Wing Bantams. They are 10 months old. All three are in a cat carrier for the night. BOY they can fly well!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! It's the latest rage. If not for the long legs, you'd think they were pigeons. And the crowing and the clucking.

Of course, they will be outside some in a portable chicken "tractor" as they are called.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Long time ago, we had an assortment of free-range bantams. They initially roosted in the trees, but we lost a few to predators, so built them a coop, large wire enclosure, that they would return to at night, and could be closed up. Have fun with them. Great personalities.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a little animal at your home less than an hour and have it come to you and sit on your shoulder is my idea of good.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute. The one sitting on your monitor looks ready to send a text or email. Why do I sense material for an upcoming story featuring these chickens?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a Rhode Island red hen that would ride on my shoulder while I worked in the yard. A racoon killed her and over half the coop full of chickens and two ducks, but the rooster took out one before he died and I had a field day on racoons that summer that it happened. ended up with 25 racoon pelts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, both of my parrots have diapers they wear if they are in house and not in their cage. They were them with they are on my shoulders, walking around or sitting on the furniture. I have a large cage on screened in porch they spend 3-4 hours a day on top of, cage door is open and they come and go on the cage.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
The new chickens are cute but not much of them to eat.
.......and it’s still a chicken... I’m sry just don’t like them they drive my dog crazy...I have ducks a few geese assorted peafowl.... chickens attract predators. They will sit on your cars side rear view mirror and crap right on there feet were there standing.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those diapers will be a gift from God! Now all I have to do is convince the cats they will not be murdered by the feathered fiends. I bought a bunch of 100% bath towels off Amazon and they just arrived. What the one person did was use one for the bottom of the large carrier, and every couple days take and thrwo it in the hopper then do a wash with just the towels, and no mess in the house.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The one Banty rooster we had used to chase my son when he was a toddler, ‘hooked’ my kid good once or twice.
We’ve lost several hens to hawks over the years. One day I found pieces and parts of the Banty stuck up on the side of the garage door. Must have been one heck of a fight.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Popeyes wouldn't want them, too small. His worship woke up at 4:44 am with a crow then went back to bed. I woke him up. I am going detecting in 27 minutes and just fed them and found the FIRST EGG! It will take 3-4 for a meal. BIG eggs for such tiny creatures. His Worship (they have not been named yet), is now crowing at the news. Now that he's awake. It's kind of cute and he is not very loud. They are begging to get out and fly around the house, but maybe later. I will build a perch for them in here and I have an outdoor play area (wired in) all ready to go. Spoiled rotten monsters.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not exactly what I had in mind. They seem to know where the food comes from.

IMG_2502.JPG

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you have to be careful for ecoli? They could walk it all over. Euuuu!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread