Bronze cannon - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Bronze cannon

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2021
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    I am thinking the turn... to early 16th century... 1490-1525.

Now that is real "shot from the hip"... but I am gonna "stay". heh

PS... they are "crude" or very badly corroded... if crude... they were possibly pitched for numourous possible reasons. (one being "upgrades at sea")

OR... they have been down for a REALLY long time... the amount of corrosion IF this is the case is beyond any I have seen on a cannon.
    I think they would have pretty nice when new. They were in shallow water, 10m, and been battered by storms sand and shingle. Possibly thrown overboard after a battle due to damage as one has a chunk missing at the muzzle. No sign of a wreck at the site.
    AARC, BillA and pepperj like this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    76840 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbo123 View Post
    Haha...ok forget i said 14th century. Below is from an email from someone who knows about these things but is only trying to identify them from pics and video. It seems most are in agreement 15th-16th. Good to know the design/pattern is a common design and not attributed to any particular maker as i thought. He mentions the porcupine in his email below but after cleaning a little more I dont think it is. Thanks for your thoughts.

Gianni Ridella says:
    "Coming to the two pieces you are dealing with, their encrusted and partially abraded conditions don't allow me to express a defined identification and dating that will be make easier after they will be cleaned and drawn. So I limit to formulate my first impressions. I agree with my friend Nico Brinck on the fact they appear late 15th-early 16th century products but I am not so sure they are French. Unfortunately there are none French surviving exemplars of this class (falconets or robinets?) and period with rounded surfaces but only polygonal shaped without division between reinforce and chase. Even assuming that the figure on one of them (gun 2?) is a porcupine I observe that the French pieces of this times (Luis XII's reign 1499-1515) shows well outdistanced trunnions from the mid-mouldings (see the attached figure), like in the survived heavier ones (battery cannons) while in our ones they are in contact with them. I could be wrong but I would rather think of a Central European origin (Germanic area)."
    Well then.

I rest my case.
    Wobbo123 likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Jan 2021
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lukdiver View Post
    Nice cannon! Sure would like to know approximate dimensions and weight. Have a target we're looking for from that age range. Thanks
    Hi, hopefully i've attached my measurments...theres so much stuff on this site i dunno whats what,it needs streamlining!!...anyway, these are the measurements i took when they first came out the sea. Excuse my scrawl but you should get the idea. I do have it all written out neat on a PDF but it has some personal info on it i don't wanna post. Not weighed them but took four blokes to lift them into the back of a van!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon s ,20200926_17305220.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1892319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon s ,20200926_17285882.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1892320
    BillA, AARC, pepperj and 1 others like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    38115 times
    Relic Hunting
    [QUOTE=Wobbo123;6664531]Hi, hopefully i've attached my measurments...theres so much stuff on this site i dunno whats what,it needs streamlining!!...anyway, these are the measurements i took when they first came out the sea. Excuse my scrawl but you should get the idea. I do have it all written out neat on a PDF but it has some personal info on it i don't wanna post. Not weighed them but took four blokes to lift them into the back of a van!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon s ,20200926_17305220.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1892319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon s ,20200926_17285882.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1892320[/

QUOTE]

Thank You for the above as it give one the perspective of size.
    Also welcome to TN and the wonderful discovery.

"Due to COVID-all the Flo's are in hiding"
    Must make things frustrating to try to escalate the recording/findings of the 2 artifacts.

Are the in water off shore finds treated the same as on shore treasures and PAS is followed?
    eyemustdigtreasure likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

May 2006
    431 times
    Well you now have three experts all agreeing on a date late 15th- early 16th century. I have also found that decoration on Portuguese pieces of that date, as well as on French and northern Europe pieces.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links