Buying used from large metal detector store

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone purchased a “used” metal detector from Kellyco or other large metal detector store? I’m ready to pull the trigger on a used AT Max but just found out that the warranty is unknown until purchase (remaining warranty if still in effect), no returns (hassle free returns - not in effect) and also sight unseen.....seems like a red flag to me to save $145. If I knew there was a recourse if it was more “used” than expected or if the factory warranty was nearly expired or no longer in effect I might feel better about it. I’ve bought two detectors from them and expected more. This is not a rant against them, I still think they have great customer support and good prices.
ijust wanted to see what a third party thought about buying used from a big metal detector store.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this was the ONLY way I could afford a machine I wanted, I would buy it. I think a 90-day limited warranty is industry standard on used machines. Good Luck!:icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure Kellyco is selling used, they were no longer selling used. It is possible it has changed since I am no longer associated with them and neither are my former contacts. Kellyco is under new management since October 2018 after the death of Stu, the founder.

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, I’m sure. Just go to their website and search under Metal Detector, then Garrett....$577.96. Two in stock. I’ve gotten spooked from the response they gave me on used machines. Their new machines are $722 with no accessories except the headphones. At least three other sellers have the detector, AT Max pointer and more for the same price. Screenshot attached (then removed), I hope this doesn’t violate any rules!
It pays to shop around. Thanks for the input! Looking forward to a great year!

Are you sure Kellyco is selling used, they were no longer selling used. It is possible it has changed since I am no longer associated with them and neither are my former contacts. Kellyco is under new management since October 2018 after the death of Stu, the founder.

Last edited:

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve looked at it. But from what I read it’s the detector only and didn’t see where it mentioned headphones at all it said no other accessories from the box so that’s prolly where the steeper price cut is coming from. If I missed it I’m sorry but it’s how I interpreted it. Still not a terrible price if they would atleast promise it works and had some recourse if something didn’t function properly.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good things come to those who wait. Personally I would never by anything used that I can't work on myself.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always bought what I could afford and went from there. I like to buy from a private person first to help them but sometimes there's too many negative things to do that. I bought my MXT about 6 yrs ago from a guy near me who's dad bought it used from Kellyco, the dad ran it all over Florida beaches for a couple years. I had a good vibe about it from the get go. The machine is still going strong. But I know people who bought new in box and the machine was all fooked up. I think it's luck of the draw. I've also bought machines off fleabay with no problems. But if a company is selling machines they should know what's going on and disclose up front if they offer protection on it or want to sell a protection plan or whatever.
If you buy it you may get lucky, and it is a great detector. If you need to send it to Garrett, they have always taken care of me when I sent them machines/coils for repair/analysis.

Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, I’m sure. Just go to their website and search under Metal Detector, then Garrett....$577.96. Two in stock. I’ve gotten spooked from the response they gave me on used machines. Their new machines are $722 with no accessories except the headphones. At least three other sellers have the detector, AT Max pointer and more for the same price. Screenshot attached, I hope this doesn’t violate any rules!
It pays to shop around. Thanks for the input! Looking forward to a great year!

You are not violating any rules.

Appears they are no selling used/demos, they had stopped at one time.

You are not saving that much and there will be sales tax on top of that price. The no returns would be a red flag for me from any dealer.

• This used unit is only the metal detector. No accessories from the original box are included.
  • May show signs of light wear and tear such as scratches
  • The images shown do not necessarily represent the condition of this particular detector

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In response to the OP's original question:

No, I would not hesitate to buy a used detector from one of
the site supporting retailers. If I desired a used machine, I'd
probably call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies first. I know he is a straight up
guy, and he would make sure whatever machine he was selling was in
proper shape.

My two centavo's worth.. twocents-1.gif

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone that replied. I’m moving on from this discussion and will still get the AT Max when I find the right seller. I’ve had great customer service from past buys I’ve made. I also believe this sport is predominantly honest, hard working guys and gals that just want to enjoy the hobby.

Happy New Year to all and happy Hunting in 2021!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do sell their returned detectors as used, but do not buy them from people to sell as used. I was also on their website and noticed they had used detectors, so I called and inquired if they bought them outright from people to sell. They said no, that the ones advertised were sold and returned.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returned for a reason.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Max? No, no, no! Get a Vanquish 540 so you can go to the beach if you want to!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions