Why doesn’t anyone care about history anymore - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Why doesn’t anyone care about history anymore

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    796 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Fact of matter is call it what you may, but when the truth is not given it must benefit someone or something, and now the dam breaks and the flood happens. It’s very easy to believe lies and falsehoods at birth because you are taught, but when you get older when you can think for yourself the questions. Require and demand truth it matters in all aspects of life, u can not move forward in confidence, refresh your soul, you and we in numbers can do such, but most think otherwise not willing to sacrifice there time for the better of all. So the few that do have given us hope, thankyou
    alan m and eyemustdigtreasure like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    2752 times
    Cache Hunting
    Another part of the problem is that some people can’t think for themselves, they mistake having an opinion with actual thinking
    When you can’t find what your looking for, your looking in the wrong place. Time for another drink

us
    We Build, We Fight!

Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    1407 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    One way to put 'history' back on the agenda of learning for our youth is to promote (wait for it...........) stamp collecting. I can't think of any notable person, place, event or object that has not appeared on a postage stamp.
    Each stamp can open chapters, if not books, on the subject; and be of interesting, historical and educational value.
    On the other hand, IMHO, many video games and the like promote a further dumbing-down of society; advocating violence and destruction while teaching (learning) nothing of substance. Again, IMHO.
    Don.....
    Thanks for the memory jolt Don!

When I was in my pre teens back in the dark ages I used to love stamp collecting.

You are correct, there is so much to learn from that hobby about history!!
    alan m and Mackaydon like this.
    The Election is OVER! Let's move forward as the UNITED States!!

SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

us
    Jan 2011
    884 times
    Interesting subject to comment on. I think the reason history or the study of history has gone by the wayside is electronics. Kind of a general statement but look at our young now a days. They aren't out playing at play grounds , hiking with their parents roaming the desert looking for stuff or metal detecting (to keep this on point). Heck they are in their bedrooms either on the phone or playing games. These very same kids have turned into teachers so what do you think they are going to teach. The next time you go into a restaurant (when we can) or go to the park look around, everyone is on their phone either talking or playing games not enjoying nature or each others company. I detect at state parks the the camp sites are full of people, not playing but on their electronics.

I have a very nice indian artifact collection that I have found over the years and I am a flint knapper of stone points and knives. My buddy was asked to set up at event where school kids were coming thru showing his knapping skills and asked me to join him. So I brought several artifacts with me and set them up on a separate table. Very little interest was shown. Oh some stopped and asked questions but very few. It is really sad the way things are going.

My grandkids are home schooled and have been for 4 or 5 years now. They live in the woods and pretty much live off the land eating deer, bear, other wild game and they grow their own vegetables. I can proudly say they are some of the most well rounded kids I know. They don't have cell phones or electronic games and only use the computer for their studies. Almost never turn on the TV. ( they only get one channel anyway, lol).

So there you have it folks. That is this 71 year old's opinion and I am sticking to it.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3988 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Two words. Tee Vee.
    NC Digger and alan m like this.

us
    eye man

Jan 2020
    East Tennessee
    Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
    190 times
    Yesterday; last week, month, year, last decade, last 100 years, 1000 years has been distorted to change not history but the minds that hear it, so as to not put a bad or distorted lean on actually what happened. As I have said before, the looser's don't get to write a lot of history books.
    Glorify and vilify.
    If the truth be told all the time it would piss a lot of people and races off.
    As can be seen today. News today is history tomorrow. Depends on who tells it, as to how it will be interpreted.
    Some teachers who teach history are told what and how things are to be taught.
    'nuf said
    Duckshot and mikefromIllinois like this.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    1962 times
    Another thing regarding history:

We've become intellectually lazy. We welcome spoon fed information (often false) and accept most anything that fits our pre conceived narratives and makes us feel warm and fuzzy. One look no further then some of those Covid post's. Multiple individuals posted links that were literally debunked with just a cursory internet search. Some of posters of these links even admitted they didn't research them and posted them because they simply "agreed" with them. Sadly, promoting a narrative they hold is more important then any factual basis.

How does this relate to history? We like stories, not work and researching and understanding history can be time consuming, hard work.
    alan m, Kantuckkeean and Megalodon like this.
    Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    7808 times
    One of the history lessons that is NEVER thought in today's America is who killed who. Everybody knows that Ol' Adolf killed some six million Jews. Fewer know, but are oft to mention, the number of people killed by so-called Christians during the Spanish Inquisition or the settling of the Americas both North and South continents.

But Mao killed an estimated sixty-five million Chinese. Pol Pot is responsible for mountains of skulls, and Stalin killed tens of millions to secure his communist utopia. It isn't religion that has been the most muderous entity in history. Unless you count atheism as a religion which maybe you could in the sense that atheism is a belief about God.

"Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it".

And another thing -

"When in the course of human events, ....."- nobody seems to teach that one any more either.
    Last edited by Duckshot; Jan 09, 2021 at 07:13 PM.
    alan m and Kantuckkeean like this.
    "Do Not do to others that which you would Not have them do to you"

Choose your heroes carefully.

In God We Trust.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    2946 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    One way to put 'history' back on the agenda of learning for our youth is to promote (wait for it...........) stamp collecting. I can't think of any notable person, place, event or object that has not appeared on a postage stamp.
    Each stamp can open chapters, if not books, on the subject; and be of interesting, historical and educational value.
    On the other hand, IMHO, many video games and the like promote a further dumbing-down of society; advocating violence and destruction while teaching (learning) nothing of substance. Again, IMHO.
    Don.....
    yea, I remember that
    a series, Champions of Liberty caused me to ask why we were not helping Hungary, on TV every night
    no answer
    some lessons are not so apparent

but yes, stamp collecting is educational

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    42556 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I always Hated History in school, They never Taught us about anything here. Not even the French & Indian War or the Fur Traders
    Which were all in My Neighborhood.

It was all about world wars & Politics which I Despised.

I love Local PA History. especially East of the Susquehanna, and west of the Schuylkill rivers.
    I'm always Looking to add to my Collection & Check Ebay regularly

this is what I still Have. I unfortunately had to leave at least and Pass on 3/4 of my collection:
    Binders, old News Papers,Books & Treasure Magazines Etc. to Move in here Because I went from
    Owning to renting. and Don't Think they would have appreciated me turning the place into a Library
    as much as I Would

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	1892450
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 09, 2021 at 08:47 PM.
    Swaveab likes this.

us
    Treasure every day!

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    3146 times
    Relic Hunting
    Most historical records were written by the victorious side.
    jeff of pa and AARC like this.
    It would seem we are now up a famous tributary without any means of locomotion.

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    42556 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan man View Post
    that's why I don't care about national history the propaganda is one sided
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 09, 2021 at 09:40 PM.

us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    796 times
    Very good, but we can not let those who impose falsehoods on those who require truth, it may comfort them but certainly not comforting the millions that won’t stand for it, and for that you never, ever give into and believe garbage, sacrifice was made then and will continue because lies and deceit especially by r gov will result in such a way, what’s sickening is how they yes those fake leaders we elect, point the fingers at we the people and never take the blame, there actions incited we the people and they tested r soul, and they should learn, they underestimated the people only because after decades of deception and lies they said nobody has a backbone, well guess what. It’s bad enough we have to fight evil worldwide, but your own gov, lessons learned. Thankyou folks, history touches many subjects and we discussed this in a very nice manner and that’s a good thing. Appreciate your voices, remember we depend on each other at the end of the day and the people will be heard, god bless
    jeff of pa and Swaveab like this.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    7808 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan man View Post
    Yeah, but the narrative is guided by the agenda of those who teach history.

Case in point, here is a word you have not been taught-

T-R-I-V-I-U-M

If you look it up in a dictionary, "they" will tell you that trivium is an archaic learning method involving steps in grammar, logic, and rhetoric. What they will not tell you is that these steps in grammar, logic, and rhetoric can be used to determine what is true and what is not true IF used in the correct order. But it's archaic, right? Does not matter in today's world....

Except when the news press feeds you rhetoric calling it facts. Grammar is verifiable facts, logic is reasoning. Before "rhetoric" became a dirty word it was synonymous with "wisdom". Without grammar and supporting logic "rhetoric" is synonymous with "lies".

This is how "history" can tell lies, sometimes.
    newnan man likes this.
    "Do Not do to others that which you would Not have them do to you"

Choose your heroes carefully.

In God We Trust.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5686 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    When Hitler was elected as Chancellor of Germany in 1933,
    Hitler was not elected. He was appointed Chancellor by Paul von Hindenburg after the Nazi party won a majority in the Reichstag. Gary
    Swaveab likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links