Not open for further replies.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday; last week, month, year, last decade, last 100 years, 1000 years has been distorted to change not history but the minds that hear it, so as to not put a bad or distorted lean on actually what happened. As I have said before, the looser's don't get to write a lot of history books.
Glorify and vilify.
If the truth be told all the time it would piss a lot of people and races off.
As can be seen today. News today is history tomorrow. Depends on who tells it, as to how it will be interpreted.
Some teachers who teach history are told what and how things are to be taught.
'nuf said

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing regarding history:

We've become intellectually lazy. We welcome spoon fed information (often false) and accept most anything that fits our pre conceived narratives and makes us feel warm and fuzzy. One look no further then some of those Covid post's. Multiple individuals posted links that were literally debunked with just a cursory internet search. Some of posters of these links even admitted they didn't research them and posted them because they simply "agreed" with them. Sadly, promoting a narrative they hold is more important then any factual basis.

How does this relate to history? We like stories, not work and researching and understanding history can be time consuming, hard work.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the history lessons that is NEVER thought in today's America is who killed who. Everybody knows that Ol' Adolf killed some six million Jews. Fewer know, but are oft to mention, the number of people killed by so-called Christians during the Spanish Inquisition or the settling of the Americas both North and South continents.

But Mao killed an estimated sixty-five million Chinese. Pol Pot is responsible for mountains of skulls, and Stalin killed tens of millions to secure his communist utopia. It isn't religion that has been the most muderous entity in history. Unless you count atheism as a religion which maybe you could in the sense that atheism is a belief about God.

"Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it".

And another thing -

"When in the course of human events, ....."- nobody seems to teach that one any more either.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
One way to put 'history' back on the agenda of learning for our youth is to promote (wait for it...........) stamp collecting. I can't think of any notable person, place, event or object that has not appeared on a postage stamp.
Each stamp can open chapters, if not books, on the subject; and be of interesting, historical and educational value.
On the other hand, IMHO, many video games and the like promote a further dumbing-down of society; advocating violence and destruction while teaching (learning) nothing of substance. Again, IMHO.
Don.....
yea, I remember that
a series, Champions of Liberty caused me to ask why we were not helping Hungary, on TV every night
no answer
some lessons are not so apparent

but yes, stamp collecting is educational

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always Hated History in school, They never Taught us about anything here. Not even the French & Indian War or the Fur Traders
Which were all in My Neighborhood.

It was all about world wars & Politics which I Despised.

I love Local PA History. especially East of the Susquehanna, and west of the Schuylkill rivers.
I'm always Looking to add to my Collection & Check Ebay regularly

this is what I still Have. I unfortunately had to leave at least and Pass on 3/4 of my collection:
Binders, old News Papers,Books & Treasure Magazines Etc. to Move in here Because I went from
Owning to renting. and Don't Think they would have appreciated me turning the place into a Library
as much as I Would :(

DSCF0002.JPG

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most historical records were written by the victorious side.

that's why I don't care about national history the propaganda is one sided

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good, but we can not let those who impose falsehoods on those who require truth, it may comfort them but certainly not comforting the millions that won’t stand for it, and for that you never, ever give into and believe garbage, sacrifice was made then and will continue because lies and deceit especially by r gov will result in such a way, what’s sickening is how they yes those fake leaders we elect, point the fingers at we the people and never take the blame, there actions incited we the people and they tested r soul, and they should learn, they underestimated the people only because after decades of deception and lies they said nobody has a backbone, well guess what. It’s bad enough we have to fight evil worldwide, but your own gov, lessons learned. Thankyou folks, history touches many subjects and we discussed this in a very nice manner and that’s a good thing. Appreciate your voices, remember we depend on each other at the end of the day and the people will be heard, god bless

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most historical records were written by the victorious side.

Yeah, but the narrative is guided by the agenda of those who teach history.

Case in point, here is a word you have not been taught-

T-R-I-V-I-U-M

If you look it up in a dictionary, "they" will tell you that trivium is an archaic learning method involving steps in grammar, logic, and rhetoric. What they will not tell you is that these steps in grammar, logic, and rhetoric can be used to determine what is true and what is not true IF used in the correct order. But it's archaic, right? Does not matter in today's world....

Except when the news press feeds you rhetoric calling it facts. Grammar is verifiable facts, logic is reasoning. Before "rhetoric" became a dirty word it was synonymous with "wisdom". Without grammar and supporting logic "rhetoric" is synonymous with "lies".

This is how "history" can tell lies, sometimes.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hitler was not elected. He was appointed Chancellor by Paul von Hindenburg after the Nazi party won a majority in the Reichstag. Gary

True, good catch and my mistake. I see now that technically, voters cast their votes for a party, not an individual man and the Nazi party became the majority party. I presume those voting for the Nazi party assumed Hitler would be their man.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BillA,
You mentioned you remembered the Hungarian Revolution. Here's one of at least seven stamps that Hungary issued that memorialized that (1956) Revolution. Hungary also had at least two prior revolutions that may also have been shown on stamps.
Hungary Issued Stamp on 60th Anniversary of the 1956 Revolution | Phila-Mirror
Don.
PS: Compare what can be learned studying stamps for one hour versus playing FORTNITE for one hour.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most youngsters don't even know what Encyclopedia's are anymore. I still have a set in my home, and use them frequently. I refuse to use Google for anything. It helps to keep your mind sharp, and look things up or research on your own, instead of having the answer at your fingertips from some search engine. History is falling by the wayside. To many electronic gadgets for kids to play with. Why would they want to learn about the past of this country, when they can play games on computers, phones, tv's etc. ? Heck, you hardly see kids outside in the middle of summer anymore. Then there are the schools that are trying to erase history, but we won't get into that one here.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To cut the chase and not over think folks, it simply comes down to controlling the minds, and I cry and ask god for help because they endocrine our young in school and we simply let it go, we as parents must step up more importantly and not point fingers because we let it happen. Folks we all are flawed people, but 200 years ago no schools available and the parent taught, so no excuses, u want better standards you to must require more from yourself and then we can change the education system which is frankly a cancerous system, thankyou very much keep conversation going because we the people will eventually reclaim the country as it once was, we the people always win when together, god bless

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even here, some people are misguided on the history of the German people's actions leading up to their "defense" in WWII. They were not evil, the same scenario is happening here in the US. Also, learn yourselves some history as to the cause of the War Between the States. You won't find it in text books.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even here, some people are misguided on the history of the German people's actions leading up to their "defense" in WWII. They were not evil, the same scenario is happening here in the US. Also, learn yourselves some history as to the cause of the War Between the States. You won't find it in text books.

To compare the path of Nazi Germany to what is happening here is a false equivalency. True, many of the German citizens did not approve of their leaderships actions and were mostly powerless to stop it, just as it has been here in the US, but there was much evil in many German citizens who aided and abetted the Nazi party.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate everyone opinion. I myself never ventured out of American, so it’s ok to care about the world. But where I come from is the stand I take, if we are not strong than you can’t help anyone. I’m a people person. But when government gets to big, no term limits it’s easy to understand how evil can manipulate we the people. Please remember we are all flawed human beings, that includes myself. This has been in the works for decades, and I cry out to god, Jesus whomever why do you let the suffering continue. Hoping and praying isn’t a true method, my opinion, but I care about everyone I see people at my job everyday truly giving the effort and feeling left behind. We all are not created equal, I barely get by myself, if I had the resources I’d try to help, it’s the good feeling you should get helping others nothing else, nothing else in return. Your soul, heart and compassion is priceless, thankyou all for your words, they do matter

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chose two ways to seriously study history over the last 20 years. One, take an Art degree which required extensive eastern and English history. And 2., Study my own family tree, doing corresponding family lines wherever possible.

I can't believe my mom's family had multiple pre-revolutionary war lines and likely knew the Washingtons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread