Why doesn’t anyone care about history anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I like ancient history especially middle eastern. I find it fascinating the scope and complexity of these ancient civilizations. There extraordinary contributions to science and culture continue to this day. Sumerian image.
origins-of-human-beings.jpg

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee and we let it continue whys that

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Take back the schools! Join the PTA! For heavens sake, do it for the children.
<font size="4">

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Yes she was! ‘New’ country (the last 40 years) leaves everything to be desired but I love 70’s country and JC Riley sure was a favorite. HVPTA thanks to Tom T Hall.

I'm with you on last 40 years with some exceptions. Like the man in black, Johnny Cash.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prophetic? King Crimson wrote this song called Epitath in the '60's

The wall on which the prophets wrote is cracking at the seams
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams
When all the thoughts of men are filled with nightmares and with dreams
Will no one lay the laurel wreath at the silence of the screams?

Between the iron gates of time the seeds of fate were sown
And watered by the deeds of those who know and who were known
Knowledge is a deadly friend if no one sets the rules
The fate of all mankind I fear is in the hands of fools

Confusion will be our Epitath as we crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back and laugh
But tomorrow we'll be crying, yes I fear tomorrow we'll be crying

But of course the music for it sucks...

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Prophetic? King Crimson wrote this song called Epitath in the '60's

But of course the music for it sucks...

Matter of opinion, but I do remember the song. For not liking it it sure stuck in your mind though did it not?

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in full agreement with 49er12 that they are trying to bury truth and many times it is for political reasons. One can't just go off and stamp collect and all of a sudden be interested in or know history either unless one has an inquiring mind to begin with. In this day and age they would do away with stamps as easily as they do away with statues. They've also targeted our coinage at times too. The kids and many adults up into their 40s to some extent have been robbed of truth and knowledge and have taken a path of social media as their guide. They know so very little and just ask on social media for their opinions and if the majority say no to something then they take that stance right or wrong. Why? Because they weren't taught in school or by parents and have become easily led and very naive. This is dangerous to our nation and is as far from giving the truth as one can get. It is how dictators do gain a foothold and the time has come I feel.

Change our educational system? I agree, but they won't let you as school districts have become taxing bodies of their own without true accountability. At best you can change the actors, but not the play.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I always Hated History in school, They never Taught us about anything here. Not even the French & Indian War or the Fur Traders
Which were all in My Neighborhood.

It was all about world wars & Politics which I Despised.

I love Local PA History. especially East of the Susquehanna, and west of the Schuylkill rivers.
I'm always Looking to add to my Collection & Check Ebay regularly

this is what I still Have. I unfortunately had to leave at least and Pass on 3/4 of my collection:
Binders, old News Papers,Books & Treasure Magazines Etc. to Move in here Because I went from
Owning to renting. and Don't Think they would have appreciated me turning the place into a Library
as much as I Would :(

View attachment 1892450

I fully agree with you Jeff, but I was fortunate to have some good teachers in high school that sparked my interest and did teach the real happenings of the past. My area has so much history that it astounded me and that also includes the French and Indian War. The PBS film called "The War That Made America" I'm sure you would love if you hadn't seen it yet. I can go within 3 miles of my place and the many happenings here were significant in history.

Last edited:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Sooner or later the record stops playing.

Yes, it does, but I intend on enjoying the record while it plays until the end is inevitable. I don't determine when the record ends either so I don't focus as much upon things I have no control over.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A social shift is occurring. On the news this morning was a story of a black kid in NYC who was arrested at 16 years old for steeling a back pack. He spent three years in jail awaiting trial. Three years spent on Riskers Island, a notorious hell hole. The case was thrown out and he killed himself when he got out of jail. He stole a back pack! Not a computer from the capital building. Nothing politics here but I'm sure this post is destined for the deletion bin.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A social shift is occurring. On the news this morning was a story of a black kid in NYC who was arrested at 16 years old for steeling a back pack. He spent three years in jail awaiting trial. Three years spent on Riskers Island, a notorious hell hole. The case was thrown out and he killed himself when he got out of jail. He stole a back pack! Not a computer from the capital building. Nothing politics here but I'm sure this post is destined for the deletion bin.

Wasn't it Brock Turner, a white boy, who got caught literally with his pants down raping an unconscious girl behind a dumpster and the judge said he was worried about ruining his future if he penalized him too much? He served 3 months in jail.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Society has a long history of doing strange things to help the general public with many of these things causing more harm than good. The defining characteristic chosen to describe the kid in the the story you mention Escape, is irrelevant in my opinion. That could have happened to any person who stole a back pack.

Another characteristic with stigma sorrounding it is mental health status. People who are known to have such issues are often discriminated against because of preconceived bias as this lengthy yet interesting video below demonstrates. While it holds true that some people with mental health issues often behave unpredictably, in most cases such bias seems to be unfounded. People seem to want to judge others using outlying, worst-case-scenario presumptions. It can happen with any superficial characteristic, first impressions matter I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread