Careful with those Gift Cards
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Careful with those Gift Cards

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4547 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Careful with those Gift Cards

Wife went to use a $50 Big Box store gift card that she received this Christmas. Found out there was only $5 left on this new card and her reaction wasn’t pretty!

Seems thieves just steal the card off the shelf, get the pin and info, return the card and monitor when card has been purchased/activated, then presto, cha-Ching!

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    7356 times
    Metal Detecting
    It never fails to amaze me at the scams people can come up with. Clever people that should be using their smarts for good instead of evil. Gary

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PROs .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers.... 1 Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    46263 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I ALWAYS Use Gift Cards immediately.
    If I were to Buy one for someone, I'd use one from the Bottom/Back of the Pile.
    odds would be less likely someone attempting that, would want to be waiting a long time
    and would be better off gambling on the first dozen in the row, as most would grab from the front
    especially if they are hanging on a card rack, take the entire row off and take one of the last 3
    even when the store restocks they add to the front, so those last 3 were probably there since the beginning of time
    or given up on by the time they are reached
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 10, 2021 at 06:19 AM.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50500 times
    Relic Hunting
    Never have an issue with this gift giving/receiving.
    Name:  05A5C3BA-C445-4CDC-9371-0B6F09DA4CC2_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 363
Size:  24.3 KB
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

us
    Jan 2011
    929 times
    Hate them. They are the biggest scam in retail out there. Just wonder how many get lost or un-used?

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    2232 times
    Thank you for the alert ..I will also pass this information to family and friends
    crashbandicoot likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    4365 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Counterfeit cash used to purchase PlayStation 5

Counterfeit cash was used to defraud a Dearborn man who attempted to sell a Sony PlayStation 5 for $850 on Jan. 3 to a customer he met through the Facebook Marketplace application.
    The victim said he met the customer in the Dearborn Walmart parking lot, 5851 Mercury Drive, and was paid with 17 fifty-dollar bills.
    However, when the seller tried to use one of the bills afterward to purchase gasoline, the clerk told him that the currency was counterfeit.
    The victim then contacted Dearborn police officers, who took the bills into evidence, and contacted a U.S. Secret Service field office.

The man who paid with counterfeit cash was described as a black male, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing about 165 pounds, and wearing a gray Nike hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants, a gray baseball cap and a gold chain, who drove a newer model white Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan.

https://www.pressandguide.com/news/c...48a0ada95.html
    crashbandicoot and boogeyman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    Presently using Deus's have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
    2568 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That DON'T WORK !!!! To prove it send me one and watch !!!! LOL
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Interesting post. I never would have thought that about gift cards, but I'm not a thief either. Thanks for the information. I like Jeff of pa's idea of grabbing them from the back of the rack. It makes sense.

Feb 2021
    1 times
    I don't really believe in gifts cards, but I once earned such a card on an online platform that has several online stores.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3785 times
    The only way they could get the pin is to scratch off the coating covering the pin on the back. So make sure your card isn’t tampered with. And make sure if you give a card that you give the person the receipt with it. A $5 card in place of a $50 could be a cashier scam or mistake.

I have found a number of gift cards in parking lots, by the way, so be in the lookout for them. I always pick them up and check their balance and I have only had one card with a zero balance and the others from $5 to $25 on them. Some years back I also had a bonanza find in a used purse from the goodwill. A $100 visa, a $25 Sears and a $50 Sears card, all good.
    Last edited by SusanMN; Feb 25, 2021 at 02:51 PM.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it

Thomas Jefferson

Charter Member

Apr 2014
    3469 times
    I buy gift cards from time to time, but I NEVER buy the first ones on the hook.
    That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Einstein once said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    2335 times
    Cash makes no enemies,lets be friends!
    fistfulladirt likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    3022 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Counterfeit cash used to purchase PlayStation 5

Counterfeit cash was used to defraud a Dearborn man who attempted to sell a Sony PlayStation 5 for $850 on Jan. 3 to a customer he met through the Facebook Marketplace application.
    The victim said he met the customer in the Dearborn Walmart parking lot, 5851 Mercury Drive, and was paid with 17 fifty-dollar bills.
    However, when the seller tried to use one of the bills afterward to purchase gasoline, the clerk told him that the currency was counterfeit.
    The victim then contacted Dearborn police officers, who took the bills into evidence, and contacted a U.S. Secret Service field office.

The man who paid with counterfeit cash was described as a black male, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing about 165 pounds, and wearing a gray Nike hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants, a gray baseball cap and a gold chain, who drove a newer model white Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan.

https://www.pressandguide.com/news/c...48a0ada95.html
    The test pens can be had for a buck or two, blacklight flashlights for around five bucks. Never yardsale without em! Banks!?!? We had a lady come in to pay on a commercial account with almost all counterfeit bills >>> she'd just gotten from her bank<< just minutes before.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Famous last words "Wow! Is that a meteor?"

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4547 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    The test pens can be had for a buck or two, blacklight flashlights for around five bucks. Never yardsale without em! Banks!?!? We had a lady come in to pay on a commercial account with almost all counterfeit bills >>> she'd just gotten from her bank<< just minutes before.
    Her bank sucks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links