Primary Interest:
Other

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It never fails to amaze me at the scams people can come up with. Clever people that should be using their smarts for good instead of evil. Gary

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS Use Gift Cards immediately.
If I were to Buy one for someone, I'd use one from the Bottom/Back of the Pile.
odds would be less likely someone attempting that, would want to be waiting a long time
and would be better off gambling on the first dozen in the row, as most would grab from the front
especially if they are hanging on a card rack, take the entire row off and take one of the last 3
even when the store restocks they add to the front, so those last 3 were probably there since the beginning of time
or given up on by the time they are reached

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never have an issue with this gift giving/receiving.
05A5C3BA-C445-4CDC-9371-0B6F09DA4CC2_4_5005_c.jpeg

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Hate them. They are the biggest scam in retail out there. Just wonder how many get lost or un-used?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the alert ..I will also pass this information to family and friends

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never have an issue with this gift giving/receiving.
View attachment 1892519

[h=1]Counterfeit cash used to purchase PlayStation 5[/h]
Counterfeit cash was used to defraud a Dearborn man who attempted to sell a Sony PlayStation 5 for $850 on Jan. 3 to a customer he met through the Facebook Marketplace application.
The victim said he met the customer in the Dearborn Walmart parking lot, 5851 Mercury Drive, and was paid with 17 fifty-dollar bills.
However, when the seller tried to use one of the bills afterward to purchase gasoline, the clerk told him that the currency was counterfeit.
The victim then contacted Dearborn police officers, who took the bills into evidence, and contacted a U.S. Secret Service field office.

The man who paid with counterfeit cash was described as a black male, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing about 165 pounds, and wearing a gray Nike hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants, a gray baseball cap and a gold chain, who drove a newer model white Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan.

https://www.pressandguide.com/news/...cle_50755744-50a7-11eb-a340-37048a0ada95.html

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post. I never would have thought that about gift cards, but I'm not a thief either. Thanks for the information. I like Jeff of pa's idea of grabbing them from the back of the rack. It makes sense.

GLekter

Feb 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really believe in gifts cards, but I once earned such a card on an online platform that has several online stores.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way they could get the pin is to scratch off the coating covering the pin on the back. So make sure your card isn’t tampered with. And make sure if you give a card that you give the person the receipt with it. A $5 card in place of a $50 could be a cashier scam or mistake.

I have found a number of gift cards in parking lots, by the way, so be in the lookout for them. I always pick them up and check their balance and I have only had one card with a zero balance and the others from $5 to $25 on them. Some years back I also had a bonanza find in a used purse from the goodwill. A $100 visa, a $25 Sears and a $50 Sears card, all good.

Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy gift cards from time to time, but I NEVER buy the first ones on the hook.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Counterfeit cash used to purchase PlayStation 5[/h]
Counterfeit cash was used to defraud a Dearborn man who attempted to sell a Sony PlayStation 5 for $850 on Jan. 3 to a customer he met through the Facebook Marketplace application.
The victim said he met the customer in the Dearborn Walmart parking lot, 5851 Mercury Drive, and was paid with 17 fifty-dollar bills.
However, when the seller tried to use one of the bills afterward to purchase gasoline, the clerk told him that the currency was counterfeit.
The victim then contacted Dearborn police officers, who took the bills into evidence, and contacted a U.S. Secret Service field office.

The man who paid with counterfeit cash was described as a black male, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing about 165 pounds, and wearing a gray Nike hooded sweatshirt and sweat pants, a gray baseball cap and a gold chain, who drove a newer model white Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan.

https://www.pressandguide.com/news/...cle_50755744-50a7-11eb-a340-37048a0ada95.html
The test pens can be had for a buck or two, blacklight flashlights for around five bucks. Never yardsale without em! Banks!?!? We had a lady come in to pay on a commercial account with almost all counterfeit bills >>> she'd just gotten from her bank<< just minutes before.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The test pens can be had for a buck or two, blacklight flashlights for around five bucks. Never yardsale without em! Banks!?!? We had a lady come in to pay on a commercial account with almost all counterfeit bills >>> she'd just gotten from her bank<< just minutes before.
Her bank sucks!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought if you didn't use them in a certain amount of time, those gift cards just faded away. The company took the money back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread