Lost treasures and relics, land vs waters in totality comparison

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No facts of course can be proven, given the earth is more water than land. Given the facts the amount that keeps being discover on land is much more retrievable for the average person vs the equipment needed for the depths of waters which will be unattainable even for the so called experts. If we can image the depths of the ocean with no obstructions water, for miles, why can’t we manufacture a metal detector for a foot or two depth on land. Answer is they can but will not offer such to the public. You see my point. So we walk and walk and pay thousand for a machine that has a fixed depth coverage , gee smell something, please don’t say oh people would be digging massive holes. Don’t Generalize folks that’s why we are in current dismay today because nobody is fair and doesn’t believe in people. Great question offer an answer other than why do you need to see a foot below,

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sonar works very well because of the density of water. Doesn't work in air anywhere near as well. A bat may know he's nearing a wall but he won't know what's behind it. Radar/LIDAR doesn't penetrate the soil well at all.

You can make a metal detector that would penetrate much more than a few feet. But you would mess up folk's TVs and Cell Phones and open a lot of garage doors nearby and need special FCC permission to transmit that much energy.
'Course you will eventually cook yourself or otherwise irradiate yourself harmfully. I think we're limited to like 25 watts. Wheel a CAT Scan unit out to the park and see how your depth improves. A submarine of the 1990's used 280,000 watts of power for the sonar. They're probably much above that now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point well taken utilities, responsible or non responsive as we are, I trust most understand or recognize such. I mean soil density, vs water penetration understood. Not much different actually less dangerous digging a foot in ground than depths of no return, Charlie great point, I don’t think a foot is bad, not counting on a good soil day, everyday use what’s the point of spending 3000 on a ctx, it’s just not about visual is it, I appreciate your thoughts

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learn a lot from you thankyou sir, your a true patriot

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit land and water spots with my CZ21 in all metal
areas I hit have usually been pounded by others with every machine out there
I get finds from 1ft-2ft all the time
i go pretty slow and try and dig every whisper
you can see that a lot of my gold is old or not fresh and old crusted silver coins and jewelry
recovered deep - lot of my ocean silver halves were found very deep along with couple of Morgan dollars found too
these spots i hit up here are from spots that go back into the 1800s and many of them been hunted by tons of other hunters
most finds were made in waters 4-6 ft deep
Don "Casper" DeForre | Flickr
ignore the posted dates - they are wrong due to older photo chips
Civil war finds over last few yrs here - found with CZ21 also - since i was pulling
lead sinkers down in 2ft range - thought CW lead might be pulled that deep too - i was right

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread