I admit - I'm ADDICTED to Metal Detecting...!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks, I must admit, that I'm addicted to Metal Detecting...!
I've searched for cures..., but the only remedy seems to be MORE metal detecting...!
(There isn't a MD Annonimus version of the AA in town, either...!)
After I retired, I became in love with the hobby.
And, it was the true and natural transition from a field-going govt. archaeologist, to one who was then paid to do same in the private sector, only this time..., "Coil For Hire", eh? :laughing7:
Getting paid to have fun...?! Yep!
Anyway, all the while involving detecting, whatever I did.
Passport In Time, a USFS program of volunteers, working on wagon trails/roads and Chineese mining camps. Didn't get to keep my finds, but have some pics.... I love the research that goes into finding out how old and what and why of everything!
Oh yeah, there are many examples, only they would better paint a picture of my involvement, my addiction to the hobby...!
There is no cure!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rank the metal detecting addiction right up there with my other addiction (chocolate) ! Just so I'm not being partial to one or the other, I usually eat a Snickers bar while I'm detecting ! Doesn't get any better than that.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eyemustdigtreasure..Yes I wish I could have beautiful California weather over here where I could enjoy this hobby more ,Good luck and happiness also in your retirement

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've searched for cures..., but the only remedy seems to be MORE metal detecting...!
And, it was the true and natural transition from a field-going govt. archaeologist, to one who was then paid to do same in the private sector, only this time..., "Coil For Hire", eh? :laughing7:
Passport In Time, a USFS program of volunteers, working on wagon trails/roads and Chineese mining camps. Didn't get to keep my finds, but have some pics.... I love the research that goes into finding out how old and what and why of everything!
Oh yeah, there are many examples, only they would better paint a picture of my involvement, my addiction to the hobby...!
There is no cure!
I think your spreading this disease LOL

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well it's a good addiction and you even find some things of value, learn about history, get outdoors in fresh air, and meet some nice folks along the way.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no cure!
I thought it was just me!! I’m addicted as well my friend and it seems hard to stop! So I won’t! Happy hunting EMDT!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree with everyone, I do not care how bad of a day detecting i am having it does not matter its still better then sitting around watching TV or a PC although I do not get out as much as I once did, at one time my wife and I hunted every day now maybe three times a week, if I am lucky my wife just can no longer go as much as we once did which is ok, because I know with her dementia she loses a little piece of her self everyday, it is a disease I would not wish on my worst enemy, it makes her smile and that is all I care

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think I am addicted but that's my opinion. Maybe from your view you could give me your opinion.
Presenty l I have around $50,000 worth of metal detectors and equipment. I probably have 40 or so metal detectors , I have 4 or 5 file cabnets full of Treasure type magazines and No idea how many books I have a storage building with probably 10,000 books most are of history and war books . or detecting and treasure hunting.I had bought a month or so a book for $275.00 on the History of the great trail. i love reading about local history. I belong to 3 local historical societies. I started detecting in 1968. I started scuba diving in 2020 to do underwater searches ,i probably have 8 or so underwater detectors i am 75 Years old. .My wife thinks i am hooked but i think she is wrong.

WHAT DO YOU all think ???

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with everyone, I do not care how bad of a day detecting i am having it does not matter its still better then sitting around watching TV or a PC although I do not get out as much as I once did, at one time my wife and I hunted every day now maybe three times a week, if I am lucky my wife just can no longer go as much as we once did which is ok, because I know with her dementia she loses a little piece of her self everyday, it is a disease I would not wish on my worst enemy, it makes her smile and that is all I care
Only three times a week…?! :)

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not think I am addicted but that's my opinion. Maybe from your view you could give me your opinion.
Presenty l I have around $50,000 worth of metal detectors and equipment. I probably have 40 or so metal detectors , I have 4 or 5 file cabnets full of Treasure type magazines and No idea how many books I have a storage building with probably 10,000 books most are of history and war books . or detecting and treasure hunting.I had bought a month or so a book for $275.00 on the History of the great trail. i love reading about local history. I belong to 3 local historical societies. I started detecting in 1968. I started scuba diving in 2020 to do underwater searches ,i probably have 8 or so underwater detectors i am 75 Years old. .My wife thinks i am hooked but i think she is wrong.

WHAT DO YOU all think ???
She’s right, you know…!
You are HOOKED…!! …and I
thought I was…! LOL

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only three times a week…?! :)
yep three times a week I incorporate our detecting with the walks we do age and illnesses have slowed us down then this covid crap that hit me made it even worse we do not get more then a hour or so three days a week now where before we would go for 7-8 hours everyday

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep three times a week I incorporate our detecting with the walks we do age and illnesses have slowed us down then this covid crap that hit me made it even worse we do not get more then a hour or so three days a week now where before we would go for 7-8 hours everyday
I was trying to be silly, but physical issues can be a problem..., the mind wants to go out and dig, but the ol' body sez Slow Down...!
Doing what you can is good for your own opinion of self, and don't let anybody try to change your ATTITUDE towards the Hobby, and especially how Much you can do it...!
Enjoy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions