Searching along stone walls- is it worth it?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my find along a stone wall that I mentioned in a previous post on this thread It was found in a stone wall in RINGGOLD GA wrapped in Burlap It was found in 2013, Ringgold Ga is along Shermans march to Atlanta from TN.
As an after thought if you were seeking a Cache in a stone wall I would observe the rocks for one that looks "OUT OF PLACE " ie a different color from the rest or an odd shape, Just something that would make it an easy spot to mark.

Did you have that beauty refurbished or have you left it in the condition you found it. It would have been a hard decision but I know I would have had it brought back to life and added to my arsenal. That would be one the Government couldn't trace if they ever try and take our guns.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a friend that walked miles hunting against stone walls in the 70s and 80s - he would go on one side then hop over and do the other back to where he started - he found a cigar box full of relics and would get a pocket spill now and then - you figure if you were building a wall
every now and then you would take a break and sit against it every so many yards - pockets werent the greatest back then
he would find a spill of colonials or 4 or 5 lg cents now and then

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go:

Thanks so much It is a great clip and only shows what can be under those walls. Just honk if Red had not located it would be there for all time until someone checked the wall

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have that beauty refurbished or have you left it in the condition you found it. It would have been a hard decision but I know I would have had it brought back to life and added to my arsenal. That would be one the Government couldn't trace if they ever try and take our guns.
No actually just cleaned it lots of oils and Barrincade ( spelt wrong ). I am a purist so I don’t believe in refinishing but had it lettered by colt. Came back as a 1862 piece sold to a store in Boston. How it got to a wall in Georgia is an unknown tale. After having it a while I Donated it to a local War of Northen Agression historical center

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is off topic but I believe that when it comes to historical items We as hunters are only the lucky ones who have been given the chance to be care keepers of the items I have given away in donations to local centers much more than I have kept. We find it because it wanted to be found and we pass it n to where it will be forever remembered for others to enjoy

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to not have posted on here much, I've been super busy and unable to check T-Net too much. Thank you all for the wonderful tips and information!

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe this is off topic but I believe that when it comes to historical items We as hunters are only the lucky ones who have been given the chance to be care keepers of the items I have given away in donations to local centers much more than I have kept. We find it because it wanted to be found and we pass it n to where it will be forever remembered for others to enjoy

I totally agree Citiboy, and that pistol is an outstanding find!!!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
The Shawshank rock. Being a flint knapper, the 1st thing I thought of when I saw that black rock is what is that obsidian doing out in the middle of no where, lol It definitely looked out of place compared to the rest of rock in the wall.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rule number one in metal detecting.

Search everything... everywhere.

Rule number two...