Searching along stone walls- is it worth it?

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All

We just got a good amount of snow dumped on us, so detecting is off for a while here in VT. As a result of this I have been doing some research using things like Old Arial Photos and Google Earth. Noticing the network stone walls, I once again asked myself a question that I have often wondered: "Is it really worth searching along stone walls?"

Living in Vermont, stone walls criss-cross just about every tract of land, and they certainly are a reminder of our agricultural past. Occasionally I will search along these landmarks and have had marginal luck. Most times, though I am more interested in cellar holes and home sites where the largest relic concentration is. To me it seems like searching stone walls is a bit of waste of time, as you'll either find a few things or nothing at all, however I wanted to pose this question to all you veteran treasure hunters and get your opinions on searching stone walls. I'd love to see any photos of finds made searching along stone walls as well.

VTColonialDigger

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have personally had little luck going along old walls. I would love to see pictures of finds though.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to each his own but I will,always give it a shot. My best find was an old colt pocket pistol inside a rock wall , it was. Years ago and was posted here just to a lazy to go back through my posts. I stumbled upon it and it was pure luck but just think about a rock wall as a hiding place. A person would realize the wall would never move, it would b Rey to slide one or two rocks out to hide your stash. The specific location would always be easy to return too. No big mark on trees ect or secret signs. And Most Of All down here in Georgia most stackedstone wall are perfect copperhead snake nesting grounds. While it’s not always a home Runyon would be suprised of some of the small stash’s you might come upon. Think about it ,it only takes a few minutes. You never know

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried poking around a few but only got shotgun bases.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You search Stone Walls with "All Metal" mode, or a Pulse Induction machine. Meteorites, coin purses, lead stashes from the Revolutionary war, you never know!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right, you never know. I know one person who pulled a CW bayonet out of a stone wall once.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would think it would be a good place where a person would stop to relax from working in the field so coin drops are a possibility, but I would look for shady areas along the wall and concentrate on those areas.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took farmers many hours to build those stone walls. That's reason enough to check them out. They must have dropped something along the wall or in the area at one time or another.

I've had zero luck finding anything in the actual walls. Always thought they were a great spot to hide a whiskey bottle, but no luck. I don't remember finding much right along stone walls, but I've had a lot of luck detecting 10 to 15 feet away from walls. Not sure why that is, but it's been a good strategy for me over the years.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It took farmers many hours to build those stone walls. That's reason enough to check them out. They must have dropped something along the wall or in the area at one time or another.

I've had zero luck finding anything in the actual walls. Always thought they were a great spot to hide a whiskey bottle, but no luck. I don't remember finding much right along stone walls, but I've had a lot of luck detecting 10 to 15 feet away from walls. Not sure why that is, but it's been a good strategy for me over the years.

I did in fact find two whisky bottles wedged into the rocks. I do check them but they’re not favored over other areas. My best rock wall find was a nice shoe buckle. More likely it’s iron relics but they’ll do. During snow it’s a worthwhile thing to do

whisperer

Jan 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved from the west to the east coast this month and am looking forward to searching in areas with really old stuff like these stacked rock walls.
In the west I have had great luck along old fence lines, and especially round pens and corrals near old barns and ranches. I’m assuming stuff falling out of pockets breaking horses and such.
I think it might be a make or break deal as to where along the fence line is being searched. If you are way out along a wall then maybe it will be thin pickings. If you are more near where the farm, ranch, house, etc is located you may have much better luck.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In central Ohio we've got a lot of those stone walls... I've never detected them because the only time I go down there is for deer hunting but I always thought they were neat. Next time I'll have to bring a detector along...

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my find along a stone wall that I mentioned in a previous post on this thread It was found in a stone wall in RINGGOLD GA wrapped in Burlap It was found in 2013, Ringgold Ga is along Shermans march to Atlanta from TN.
As an after thought if you were seeking a Cache in a stone wall I would observe the rocks for one that looks "OUT OF PLACE " ie a different color from the rest or an odd shape, Just something that would make it an easy spot to mark.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Connecticut: 20 years ago, i found a pewter mug totally falling apart, right alongside the edge of the gate opening of remote walls in the woods. Huge shallow signal, so I thought it was going to be an old steel beer can from hunters or loggers. It must have fallen off of the corner rock and then forgotten. It had a very flared out base to keep it from tipping over, so it looked very early to me. Quite disappointing as it's so bad, and no way to date the remains.

Never found anything else of mention alongside remote woods walls, but walls somewhat near a cellar have had iron buggy hubs and farm junk that they must have laid against the walls for reuse.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my area here in PA, we've got a lot of stone rows too. These were also common passages when the crops were planted, so I usually work about 20 feet out and work my way towards the stone row looking for tools/coins/anything that was dropped from a wagon/truck/tractor etc. I do notice way more trash in those lanes mainly older can slaw/bullet casings/broken farm implements etc. Around here most of these rows are overgrown with trees by now so I pay close attention to the older trees in the area that could have been resting areas. The early Standing Liberty quarter that I posted on Monday was found this past weekend using this plan. The coin was about 15/20 feet out from the stone row, and I could tell it was once a lane for the farmer to use to get around. Good luck and leave no stone unturned...get it?? LOL Happy Tuesday everyone.

**NOTE: In this area they aren't what I'd call stone walls, just rows of stone thrown off to the side during plowing etc. They are very big piles of rock forming a boundary. If I can dig up a picture I'll post it***

EDIT: Here are 2 pics from my phone, not sure how these will appear, these weren't taken with the intent to post them. Both pics show stone rows common in my area.

IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would think it would be a good place where a person would stop to relax from working in the field so coin drops are a possibility, but I would look for shady areas along the wall and concentrate on those areas.

Just think "Shawshank Redemption."

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think "Shawshank Redemption."

LOL I actually thought the same thing But was not able to get the clip of Red walking the wall and finding what was left BRAVO T.C.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Years ago I met Michael Chaplan, he had written a book called The Urban Treasure Hunter: A Practical Handbook for Beginners. I had heard of him before I met him, he showed me a picture of himself holding an honest to goodness Uzi machine gun that he had found in a wall. He got a signal then and was able to see a glimpse of something hidden behind some rocks that turned out to be a toolbox with the Uzi inside. Im pretty sure that picture was in his book. He turned it over to the police.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a beautifully preserved top from a English pith helmet in a wall, a pocket knife, cutlery and one of those little explosive devices that wraps around a train track to warn the driver of danger ahead (steam train era). So yes! search those walls. Terry is quite right- All Metal, max out the sensitivity . If it is an iron grunt check its not a can or a jar with a lid.

Chub

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I actually thought the same thing But was not able to get the clip of Red walking the wall and finding what was left BRAVO T.C.

Here you go:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread