How old is this stone foundation? Any idea?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno but its old,2-3 hundred years old ,I'm guessing.Got one here very remote ,someday I'll check it out.Same thing w/no mortar. 2010_1113Mttohuntdeer4th0010.JPG 2010_1113Mttohuntdeer4th0011.JPG 2010_1113Mttohuntdeer4th0009.JPG
One thing ,you can't build it w/o dropping OR leaving ...something behind :)

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you straighten up the pix.?

OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
can you straighten up the pix.?

No, I don't see any way to rotate them. Not sure why they uploaded that way because its not the orientation of the photos.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't see any way to rotate them. Not sure why they uploaded that way because its not the orientation of the photos.

Anyhow that one with the V shaped upper portion is interesting ???

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For best dating get a few nails and some ceramic fragments, that will help a lot.

OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Defensive positions of Civil War soldiers? Those things still exist in many places. Gary

There are rock walls all around here. About waist high. If not for livestock, they must be defensive in origin, right?

If they are defensive positions, would you say that there's a chance for a cache nearby?

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are rock walls all around here as well. If not for livestock, they must be defensive in origin, right? And why would they have livestock out in the middle of the woods like that? You could be on to something.

If they are defensive positions, would you say that there's a chance for a cache nearby?

Keep in mind that what is woods today was probably not always woods. Many of these sites were clear-cut long ago, and the trees have grown more recently. And from your pictures the trees don't look that thick/large, which aligns with this idea.

Where I live in NJ there are stone walls all over the place in the woods. I'm confident my local walls were to hold in livestock.
And check out this twisted iron fence that these trees have grown around; it gives you a sense for how things change over time. This twisted wire was probably originally attached to some small trees 100+ years ago - trees that are now huge.

EDIT: have you ever used https://www.historicaerials.com/ ? In my area the oldest aerial photos are from 1931, but even those can often show me what was once clear-cut (but now is forest). And the aerials can help you identify old road locations too; roads from the late 1800's that were abandoned still show up in the 1930's as a disturbed/different area of a forest.

shhLjA8.jpg

Last edited:

whisperer

Jan 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So stone walls, natural uncut stone anyway, were generally farm fields, not so much livestock. Of course animals can be contained by taller more structured rock walls, but are pretty handy at climbing over less defined ones.

Rock field walls are a byproduct of clearing the land so it can be plowed. It’s just handy to pick up the rocks and stack them along the edge of the field as a wall.

Ditto on the “out in the woods”. New York City was once just a farm somewhere. There are many other things that those foundations could have been for. People built mills for grain by rivers and creeks, sawmills, etc.. in the east there are places that people built whole towns in the 1600s that were deserted by the 1700s. Research the area.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Did you detect around the structures and from one structure to the other and if so did you find anything?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread