Ground Mineralization

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Plattsburgh,NY & Mississauga,Ontario
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Any good reads on this topic. I live in upstate New York, about 2 miles away from a fresh water lake(Lake Champlain).
I have no knowledge on ground mineralization and need to become familiar with it before I purchase my next coil.
I'd like to know what affects it, is there a scale upon which different types of clay/dirt/earth is rated, what sort of ground mineralization my SSUmax is preset for, what kind of ground mineralization are my surroundings here.

Just any info would help.

Scott_B

Jan 20, 2007
Check out the forum at www.tesoro.com and the tesoro board at www.findmall.com if you haven't already.
There were some topics of mineralization going on in the past week or two I believe. You can ask about your SSUmax. They will tell you what you need to know, or direct you to a discussion on it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good reply Scott_B.

Tesoro also puts out a publication about "Metal Detector Information" that is useful.

Scott_B

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks Sandman.

Misiek, let us know if you find what you are looking for. If you don't I will find it for you.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 SSumax machines and it is my understanding that they are set for an "Average" ground condition whatever than means. I live in Idaho and hunt some mineralized ground along with some pretty mild ground in local parks and fairgrounds etc. I have had good results generally tho I may have lost a little depth in the mineralized areas and never known it. In extreme conditions you can deal with mineralization with some tweaking of the sensitivity and discrimination, but will possibly lose a bit of depth. I have made some good finds with the SSumax and feel it is a very useful detector in spite of the preset ground balance.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
M

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Well I tried searching the tesoro forum....69 pages haha.Not much,most useful information i came across was about coils, which I am actually interested in if you read my post in the tesoro forum here. I did use the search feature, but came across nothing too informative. I was hoping Monte would have touched up on the subject sometime before, but i guess that question was not asked. Thanks for your responses guys. I will actually be hunting in Ontario alot during my college break, but once I get back i'll be out in upstate New York.

If anyone has any other ideas,good reads or just knows alot about mineralization please let me know.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read everything you can..ask questions... for me the ace 250 was not good for nj...our soil is way to mineralized and so are the beaches... Ivan is also excellent to help with questions....just dont give up...remember...this is a hobby to enjoy...change your attitude, think like I do, I am going out in the fresh air, listening to the birds, watching the sunsets...just observing nature..and whamo...look what I found... a real relic..so dont give up..think, its time out by yourself...to enjoy the day and all that is around you...it makes it fun and enjoyable and you just never know what will pop up when you least expect it...

OP
OP
M

misiek

Nov 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Why was NJ ground too mineralized?I need to start observing things if I want to get past the 'turn the md on and go' status. Yea that sort of is my attitude except i just got my md like 3 weeks ago and although I found silver,rings, plenty of clad( especially in Canada-loonies and toonies), it was sort of hard to enjoy the weather when its 40 outside haha but I had fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread