TRAGIC EVENT

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had some pretty TRAGIC events in my life. I am going to tell you about one That had a GREAT IMPACT one. Hopefully you folks will share some of yours with us.

6 or eight years ago there was this fellow that lived in A OLD RUNDOWN house by himself. He was around 55 years old. He had a old jalopy of a car and wore a lot of ragged clothes. He had no inside bathroom . He used a bucket and would dump it outside he lived in the country. he probably had 6 to 10 cats that he fed. Some times i would drop off 20 pounds of cat food. On holidays I would take him over a plate of warm food. I knew he did not have any money but i just like helping people. i would try to check on him at least once a week. He had no heat in his home. I thought it was so sad!!! His parents had died and left him the house and a trust for him.
One day i stopped to see him and he did not answer some times he wpould go scrounging along the roads and woods. After a week and a half of not being able to locate him i called the sheriffs office and told them about it. They wanted me to meet them at his place which i did.the door was locked and they managed to pry it open . You can not believe the inside of the home . It was not even safe to walk in for falling through the floor.
We found Howard laying down on a couch. He was dead and his cats were eating parts of him :(. I will NEVER forget it. Most of his cheeks were gone . I will not go into more of it. The coroner said he had been dead at least a week :)

Some how at the bank his name was brought up and i was told he had over $300,000 in his trust. Everything he had he left to a neighbor and that was ok.

The of experience going through of this really makes me worry about some of my friends and not talking with them . Call me a worry wort but i do try AND HELP PEOPLE .
Maybe some of you will tell us some of yours ?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a recluse too, and have 3 cats who love me. When I pass and can't take care of them anymore, it's okay if they take a few bites out of me to keep them alive. I'll be beyond caring.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing about it - ain't no one getting out of this world alive.

Like Deepseeker, I wouldn't begrudge my cats or dog doing what they had to. Won't be bothering me any at that point.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bless you for your kindness towards this fellow. He's in a better place now.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had it as good. "Remember there is someone out there that is more than happy with less than what you have." I'm not complaining. Like they say be thankful for all the graces and blessings you have received. May you never take one single breath for granted.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens in cities too.

In my case, by responding to the request of a pastor in Uganda, I with little effort was able to save the lives of two of the orphans there and the pastor's wife within the last 8 weeks. Western Union to the rescue. Our church used to send them clothes and books, but we found out it was a lot easier to have them pick them up locally. One year another lady and I got mosquito nets for everyone at the orphanage. I have known him remotely for over a decade. I put my proverbial hole in the wall of the dike when its about to burst. One lady from our local area actually visited them a few years ago.

I am not bragging, just glad God used me. And will continue to do so. You CAN make a difference.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey thank you for your post. I was hoping others would share some of there events .

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago when I lived in Columbus , Oh I had a friend who was a paramedic. They got called to an old Brownstone by police who had done a wellness check. Apparently the mail man noticed the old mans mail piling up so called it in. The poor old guy was dead sitting at his desk. His dogs had eaten his legs to the bone from his knees to his shoes. My friend was a little freaked out.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newnan thanks for the story. Yes i would hate to see it but hoping others share some of there experiences

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 25 years ago one of my friends didn't show up for work. After a couple hours, another co-worker and I took a ride to her house to check on her. No one answered the door, and I noticed her car running, backed up to the garage. I found her unconcious behind the car within a few inches of the exhaust. We called 911 and a LEO showed up within a minute with oxygen.
Well, she got the help she needed at the psych ward for a couple months. So thankful, she had two young daughters at home.
A few years later she became an RN. I believe she's doing just fine now. She and her husband invested in property and moved to PA a few years ago.
So glad we got to her in time.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TMH Thanks for SHARING . I often wonder had I contacted the police earlier maybe i could have helped him

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time about ca 1996, I worked in a decent sized office. I was responsible for putting out quotes for machines to be rented or sold and was the person backing up the receptionist who answered the phones. One day she (the receptionist) was late coming in. That was highly unusual. Our manager called her, no answer, she called her husband, who also didn't answer. My boss, God bless her, drove over to the house just as the husband came home. They went inside. She had asthma and had gotten it in her 60's. She was 72. They found her dead with her asthma mask over her face. She had a heart attack and thought it was the asthma again. Its amazing what you can remember when prodded. I really liked her.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is the registrar for our county, and has a lot of funeral home friends, they are always telling her stories like that.

one was a family in an apartment complex, that noticed a strange fluid dripping through their ceiling.

you guessed it, the old man above them had died, started to liquify, and soaked through the floor.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes, what a story. I have a 82 year old aunt, unmarried and living alone who had altzheimers and I worry about a similar situation every day. At some point soon we will have to get guardianship and move her to a memory facility but right now the family won’t agree to it. So right now I try to go over once a week to help her with things.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is the registrar for our county, and has a lot of funeral home friends, they are always telling her stories like that.

one was a family in an apartment complex, that noticed a strange fluid dripping through their ceiling.

you guessed it, the old man above them had died, started to liquify, and soaked through the floor.

Gold Maven : So sad

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None that I will share (out of respect for those involved that are still with us).

I will say that a neighbor checked in on my grandfather (who lived in a remote area with no power)...found him in a coma from diabetic complications. Saved his life. Good man, both the neighbor and my grandpa.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread