Gary Drayton , what’s the deal with this guy

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look just saying , he’s on oak island as a metal detector expert, YouTube videos, he’s from where Australia. I mean is this guy legit or is he just rambling I found another relic, seems nice guy but asking any of you , thankyou

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gawry was the character model for the series, “Detectorists”....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary is also a member here, although he hasn't been on in over 5 years.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He acquired recognition when he found a Spanish gold and emerald ring valued I believe at half a million. Now he's just one of the hundreds of reality TV stars. That's probably a fun job I'm thinking.

Attachments

• c1fb11ffbfcdfc7fe787207429bddb27--pirate-fashion-spanish-armada.jpg
    c1fb11ffbfcdfc7fe787207429bddb27--pirate-fashion-spanish-armada.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,521

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for him!

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary seems like a great guy, and makes the show worth watching.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary Drayton..here’s a guy who came to Florida and made a name for himself just my using a metal detector..
We are all capable to do the same thing so pursue your dreams mate..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Legit Treasure Hunter, But Having his Reputation Tarnished by a Certain TV Shows orders,
for fame and fortune

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respect his skill levels with the spanish treasure on the treasure coast....he has had good success thats undeniable !! I believe he's is a driving factor for the success of that certain TV show. Let's face it i enjoy watching him do his thing on the show more than any other part of it. I surely won't knock him because he's successful.....good for him !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respect his skill levels with the spanish treasure on the treasure coast....he has had good success thats undeniable !! I believe he's is a driving factor for the success of that certain TV show. Let's face it i enjoy watching him do his thing on the show more than any other part of it. I surely won't knock him because he's successful.....good for him !!

? ? ? Skill ? ? ? I guess you could call it that... others would just call it "luck".

Heh.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok man crawls out from cave, does the :icon_scratch: to the noddle-who is this Gary dude.
Starts looking under rocks and looks up again :dontknow:
Got nothing-zip-nadda-time to go back into cave........:hello:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His "knowledge" IMO... in not only detecting... but also in the items he has recovered is um... errr... hurmph... what the best way to say it ? ? ?

"over rated" ? perhaps would be tactful.

But you cannot blame him for playing the cards he has been dealt with lots of poker faces and bluffs to keep the ball a rollin.

Not the way I personally would have gone... but hey... to each their own.

And...No offense Gary if you read this... wishing ya the best in your ventures... you seem like a nice guy and all... just try a little better to "keep it real".

Just remember... there is a huge difference between acting like an expert in something / everything... and actually being one.

And those of us who walk that fine line... can see the difference.

Also remember...

There are some amongst the community... that have over fifty years of detecting under their belts that have found more in one day than most will ever find in your lifetime... who are still learning and striving to be considered by others as an "expert" in a field of antiques of the Spanish Main... let alone anything else found in the ground.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary is English. Said to have been born in Grimsby, educated in Spilsby and later lived in Boston (all of which are in Lincolnshire, England). He now lives in South Florida in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area.

His own bio gives his education as “School of hardcore beach and water hunting”. Some sources say he is a Graduate of “University of England” but there is no such formal university by that name as far as I know.

Whatever else you might say about him he’s very successful and has made a career out of doing something he loves. Good luck to him.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of us would give our non-swinging arm to make a living out of what we love to do, even if it’s not metal detecting. I’ll say this. I’ve messaged back and forth with Gary a few times and in that exchange he was as down to earth as anyone could be. Even though I don’t care for the premise of Oak Island and I don’t think there was ever anything of significance there(just not really how pirates operated AFAIK), I don’t recall him ever mis-representing anything he found there. To be able to get PAID to just have a crack at finding something...no matter what your feelings on the individual are....we would all sign up for that. I’m pretty sure some have already tried, and offered their “services” to help out on the island. In the end...one dude just swinging along like the rest of us.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in contact with Gary for maybe 5 years. I think he has published 11 books. I have bought all his books and picked up some great pointers and ideas. I think he is from Great Britain. In my opinion he is a good detectorists. I MIGHT ALSO ADD he is NOT related to me lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions